You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity on Android

It's great news that Affiinity is receiving greater visibility  and popularity.  Purchasing your software has given me a greater sense of freedom and I thank you for that.  Since you've now moved towards the iPad platform, will you also be working towards developing your software on Android?  If so, do you have a projected timeline?  I do most of my work from PC but when traveling I'm always on my Android.  Hope to hear good news!

Thank you.

7 hours ago, dbryant08 said:

It's great news that Affiinity is receiving greater visibility  and popularity.  Purchasing your software has given me a greater sense of freedom and I thank you for that.  Since you've now moved towards the iPad platform, will you also be working towards developing your software on Android?  If so, do you have a projected timeline?  I do most of my work from PC but when traveling I'm always on my Android.  Hope to hear good news!

Thank you.

The very diverse nature of Android hardware and software infrastructure would make testing of such a complex software nigh on impossible. Personally I can’t see it ever making it to Android.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

16 hours ago, dbryant08 said:

Since you've now moved towards the iPad platform, will you also be working towards developing your software on Android? 

Mods have previously stated that no android version will be provided. Do yourself a favour and buy an iPad. 😁👌

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Kat Reed said:

Surely, if Serif are touting Affinity as an Adobe replacement, an Android version would be sensible as Adobe have apps for Android?

But the Adobe apps for the iPad are cut down apps in comparison to Affinity which is desktop class and performance on iPad. Android can’t at the moment deliver such performance.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2020 at 6:53 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

The very diverse nature of Android hardware and software infrastructure would make testing of such a complex software nigh on impossible. Personally I can’t see it ever making it to Android.  

"Impossible"??? Lightroom is on Android. Video editing software like PowerDirector is on Android.  Video recording software like FilmicPro is on Android. I'm not sure how Affinity is any more complex than these...or video games.  

Interestingly, On1 is developing a mobile version for both Android and iOS that will be out in June. It will sync up with the desktop versions.  They managed to figure it out, too. 

Edited by dalydose
Additional information

On 4/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

Two things that is problematic on Android platform: Pirecy and fragmentation...

So, the chance to see Serif Labs release version of Photo/Designer/Publisher is almost zero...

Just like @DM1 said, buy yourself a real tablet (iPad Pro) if you wish to run Pro software on a tablet...

Piracy is a bigger problem on Windows and Mac, but they thrive.  Besides people don't tend to pirate things that are reasonably priced. 
Fragmentation was an issue maybe 5 years ago. The latest versions of Android will be able to run this. Fragmentation happens with hardware reliant features, like a camera app trying to work with every manufacturers proprietary cameras. This software would rely on OS integration, not manufacturer specific hardware. 

I'd suggest that if YOU want to properly run pro software on a tablet, get a Microsoft Surface Pro over an iPad Pro.  Are we still doing the Apple superiority condescending "advice" to people? Geesh. 

• 2 months later...

Is there any new information? I am currently using the trial version of Affinitiy on the PC and would only buy it if it comes out for android soon. The marketshare of android tablets is also increasing more and more and is ahead of apple in many ways...this would be a smart move for serif...

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Nihal_ish said:

Samsung is the only company making great android tablets with stylus support (S Pen is faster than apple pencil) so it makes sense to bring affinity to Samsung like recently clipstudio paint did.

If Samsug the only company, then it is a small market for additional users, and not worth Serif's time to develop a completely new implementation of the Affinity products focused on that small set of users.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If Samsug the only company, then it is a small market for additional users, and not worth Serif's time to develop a completely new implementation of the Affinity products focused on that small set of users.

What about a kickstarter campaign, if you are not sure if it's worth your time?

it seems like you are supporting apple's monopoly on tablet market.

7 hours ago, Nihal_ish said:

What about a kickstarter campaign, if you are not sure if it's worth your time?

it seems like you are supporting apple's monopoly on tablet market.

I am not supporting anything except Serif's right to choose what they want to do, and they have made it clear that they are not interested in Android at this time, nor in Kickstarter campaigns (see the Linux topics).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1