You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool not working, etc in new 1.8.0 on Windows 10

Eugene07

29th February, 2020

Since loading up the 1.8.0 on my Windows 10 I've noticed that the Crop Tool isn't working. I wanted to crop a photo I had, so I clicked the Crop Tool on the Tools Panel. It places the grid on the photo and has the cursor moving around as usual, however the grid will not size in any shape, angle, etc, whatsoever. Maybe there's a bug in the system, or I'm missing something - and yes I have remembered to select the Backround Layer.

Also, on a different subject, when I try to sample a colour from an image pressing Alt and clicking on a nearby colour on the face of the photo (this is when creating a New Pixel Layer at the bottom of the Layer's Panel), this doesn't seem to be working either, although sampling with the Picker Tool does work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Eugene07, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Can you screenshot your User Interface and attach it here whilst in the Crop Tool? It might give us a clue as to what is going on.

I cannot reproduce your second issue either. Which tool are you using when pressing Alt?

• Staff
On 2/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, Eugene07 said:

Also, on a different subject, when I try to sample a colour from an image pressing Alt and clicking on a nearby colour on the face of the photo (this is when creating a New Pixel Layer at the bottom of the Layer's Panel), this doesn't seem to be working either, although sampling with the Picker Tool does work.

We have had another report of this. Are there any additional clues you can provide us with, or even a screen recording? 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, jeffrey perkins said:

very suddeb problem after using 'crop' tool for years. 

result of cropping 'looks' perfect  on my 'word' page but upon printing, the cropped area is brought forward and appears on the printed page as 'grayed-out' area.

windows 10 with wireless epson printer.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, and sorry for the delay responding.

(For future reference, it does not sound like this is related to the topic being discussed, and so it might have been better to start your own topic.)

If you're still having problems:

• What OS are you using? Which Affinity application, and what release of the application?
  • You mention using the cropped image "on your 'word' page". I'm not sure what you mean by that, or how you got the image there. Can you provide some screenshots of your document in the Affinity application, including the Layers panel? And/or share a sample document?
  • Does the same thing happen when you Export to PDF? If so, can you give us a screenshot in a PDF viewer? If not, can you give us a photo of the printed page showing the error (or Print to a PDF, and share the PDF or a screenshot of it)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...

SOLUTION:  I have only tested the Crop tool in my Mac so far (OS 10.13.6).   I noticed in Affinity Photo (1.10.5) the crop tool was greyed out.  No Crop option worked including using Photo Persona Mode.

I opened (Placed)  the image file (.PNG) in Aff Designer and used the crop tool in Designer then I edited in Affinity Photo and this switched on all the Crop Tool attributes in Photo.  Thereafter Photo Crop worked on its own whenever I opened Photo independently.  Should Photo Crop fail again I will redo this procedure by opening in Designer and Crop, then continue to edit/crop in Photo.

This is a bug that needs fixing.  However it seems Designer Crop will command Photo Crop to work if Photo Crop forgets to activate.

I have Windows 11 and will test the same problem on that OS.

Further to my finding that on my Mac, initially using Affinity Designer Crop and then to Edit in Photo is able to activate Aff PHOTO crop, (also plus missing guide lines, etc), this procedure has NO need for rasterisation of the image file.  That is, if you applied a "Live" Perspective in Photo to the image, that perspective can still be manipulated when editing back in Designer.