You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keeps Freezing

JasonL

I'm seeing when I try to drop alerts or widgets from the ios12 Assets onto a new Document.  First discovered while dropping onto some of my templates but confirmed the same behavior while dropping onto a completely new document.  Win10 version 1809 and Trial version of Affinity 1.8.0.585.

Same.

For me, it happens when modifying the fill of an object.

I've uninstalled, re-installed, tried on different drives thinking it was a HDD issue. Tried different files, tried old working files.

It locks up every 2 or 3rd fill change.

Tried on a new file, same thing.

Hello,

I have similar problem with freezing, sometimes at random, and now in a specific situation: I open a document, I modify the size of a second artboard and try to move an object from outside that artboard into it - freezes completely, I have to force quit Designer. Today it happened 5 times in a row, even after restarting my PC.

I also noticed that quite often I have problem when dragging/rotating/resizing objects - they get stuck completely, I have to save file and quit Designer. After reopening them usually I am able to move them again, well, at least till the next time it happens...

I have Windows 10 and Affinity Designer 1.8.

Would be very grateful for taking care of this bug, as it occurs very often and is a huge waste of time.

Thank you

Hi, 

Same with me. I have windows 10, since I upraded to 1.8 the Designer frequently freezes and has to be shot down in the task manager. Everything since saving the last time is lost!

I don't know if this means something, but the task manger shows a task chrashpad_handler.exe with the Designer while running.

Since the uprade it also happend twice that the toolbar, contextbar...  everything exept the menu suddenly just vanished.

I hope the problem are soon fixed, the program is unusble like this.

Thanks

Using Windows 10 and Designer 1.8.0.585

I'm going to have to sadly add myself to this issue. I'll be tweaking my work and you can tell it's hit a wall because the items remain pink highlighted and everything goes unresponsive. Thus far it's happening within a few mins of working on a document so you can't get much done.. It's may not be connected but I've also noticed that the program doesn't seem to be as quick to open as it used to.. There seems to be some lag. This may not be directly relevant to this issue, but it may perhaps illuminate something?

Initially I thought it was just me experiencing the crashing and freezing issues, as my Affinity Designer (1.7) used to also freeze constantly. I was hopeful that the update (AD 1.8) would improve it but it got much worse. Now it's practically unusable because practically every single operation even the simplest move causes it to freeze and it's just so frustrating. I'm also using Windows 10.

I ran a compatibility test and I don't understand why it showed compatibility from windows 8 and older but didn't show Windows 10. Simply frustrating when you've purchased a software that's not working efficiently or not designed to be compatible with the latest version of Windows?! This seems to be the case as there are several complaints about this issue from users who upgraded to Windows 10 - I would like to know what Serif plans to do about this though?

Serif support has to chime in here. Guesswork does not bring you far. As I have stated elsewhere Designer has been running rock solid on several machines I have running privately  - always - and they have one thing in common: no fancy graphics cards. I can vividly imagine drivers etc. is the root cause. I have seen a few tips from the staff here about updating drivers etc.

I hope you will get to the bottom of it. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Affinity Designer is pretty much unusable for me at the moment as I am getting the same freezing for version 1.8.0.585. Really frustrating.

It doesn't seem to matter what document I am using or what am I doing in Designer at the time. The whole program freezes up and the only way to stop it is to kill it in task manager.

CPU/Memory usage is low pre and post freeze. There is no crash report when I load Designer back up but sometimes it lets me recover the document I was working on.

Windows 10

CPU: i7-6700K

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Nvidia 1070

Doesn't seem to happen on Designer 1.7 from what I have tested so far.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Troas

Designer and photo are freezing as soon as I hit print. I really wanted to make sure that this program would give me the correct colours when printing with profiles before I paid for the program. Trial ends in 1 day, very disappointed. This program came highly recommended and I don't know if it will print the way I need.

Recently purchased version 1.8 for Windows 10 Pro. Keeps crashing, especially with some files. Font manager says many of my installed fonts are missing. Works erratically & is slow to respond to keystrokes. These files work fine in InDesign CS4. I like the way it works, when it does work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This still happens with 1.8.3 for me. I reinstalled 1.8.2 and it seems to be a bit more stable. I noticed the crashpad_handler.exe too.

Odd thing is I still see it happening on 1.8.2 but if I open a blank template from disk and then let it sit there for a bit, it somehow settle down. And it's usable again.

I have Win10.

I am wondering it it has anything to do with the number of fonts you have in your system? I recently added quite a few - total now around 375 fonts.

I recently bought a new monitor and added new display driver for it. Not sure if this would cause anything.