You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - Duplicate doesn't work if rotation is applied?

If I just move a duplicated object, the next duplication is translated relatively in the x/y space, as expected.

However, if the duplicated object is rotated after being moved, the next duplicate action leaves the new object at the original object's position.

I expected both translation and rotation to be applied.

Am I missing something?

I see what you describe if I do not select the move tool first and use that to select and Duplicate then Move and Rotate.

Something buggy there with using the shape tool to draw the object then Command + J to duplicate then select and use the move tool to move rotate.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, G13RL said:

After the first "Ctrl/Cmd + J) do the size change and rotation on the first copy before moving this one and then do the other "Ctrl/Cmd + J) .

So, rotate first, move second?

I tested this and it works. However, for what I wanted to do I HAD to move first and then rotate second.

It sounds as if it's not fully working as intended, as Bruce alludes to.

It is indeed expected that the order of the changes will be indifferent.

Duplicating by moving first still works if the move is made with the scroll arrows or using the "Transform" panel by entering the chosen coordinates, or by playing with the mouse wheel in one of the two windows (selected) or by dragging the left mouse button on the X or Y on the left of the windows (with the window selected).

13 minutes ago, adreamer said:

I'm going to report this as a bug :)

I have to reiterate my comment about using the Move Tool. If I draw an object then duplicate it and rotate it then move it ... Unexpected behaviour with the next duplication. But if I draw the object, switch to the move tool and rotate/move or move/rotate then duplicate again I get the the expected behaviour.

I do agree you should report it as a bug. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, G13RL said:

@Old Bruce, I'm under Windows, this may explain the difference in "malfunctioning".

I do get a malfunction but I have to use the tool I drew the shape with when I do the initial duplication.