You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DxO Viewpoint and Photo 1.8

DxO Viewpoint has not worked with Photo for some time, so I thought I would try the recently-updated versions of both. DxO 3 installed OK and appeared in my plugins panel. I loaded an image of a skewed notice board and called up the plugin. It loaded fine and I was able to apply the perspective transformations. I clicked on Apply and then Save but the returned image in Photo was exactly the same as before! No perspective change. The standalone program works with no problems.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

You should try Save | Edit with external program | File/Save in DVP. So, the original file will be modified. This is not the case with a filter : only the in-memory image is affected by the Save button in DVP. But here, there seems to be a communication problem between DVP and AP. DVP is expecting something from PS than doesn't seem to happen with AP.

Using DVP as an external program seems to be the temporary solution but AP doesn't seem to detect changes in the original file and doesn't seem to have a "Reload" command (did I miss it ?). So you have to close the image and then reopen it. Rather awkward, I admit.

I think that AP should react when the current image has been changed by an external program. At least, a Reload command should be available.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• 6 months later...

I also have encountered this problem. It could be linked to the fact that DxO ViewPoint files expressly refer to a 'Photoshop plugin' and Affinity does not respond suitably. Still, AP is to be commended for enabling an entire raft of Topaz plugins, ranging from the earlier individual actions to the later Studio and Studio2 programs. That is extremely useful, at least to me.

Altogether I am extremely impressed by Affinity Photo. I only have 2 regrets: one is that I did not switch to it years ago, the other is that there are no comprehensive detailed guide books like those published by various authors for Lightroom or Photoshop.

59 minutes ago, JMichael said:

the other is that there are no comprehensive detailed guide books like those published by various authors for Lightroom or Photoshop

Hi,

What languages can you read ?

--Patrick

Thanks for the reply, Samoreen. I do speak German but that was so long ago that digital computing didn't exist then. So my German vocabulary of computing/computers is absolutely zero!

However, I have been very diligent in acquiring knowledge about AP from videos. I have even compiled a file covering numerous editing topics in detail, with references back to the videos if more help is needed. I am now getting by quite well. However, there must be numerous digital tricks and manipulations that I am unaware of. I just keep a close eye on what Olivio Sarikas is doing😀.

24 minutes ago, JMichael said:

I do speak German

Hallo,

Affinity Photo - Das umfassende Handbuch by Frank Treichler (Rheinwerk Design).

Wie gesagt, wirklich umfassend, . I didn't find any other book that is as comprehensive as this one.

https://www.rheinwerk-verlag.de/affinity-photo-das-umfassende-handbuch/

You can re-check your german skills with a PDF "Leserprobe".

26 minutes ago, JMichael said:

So my German vocabulary of computing/computers is absolutely zero!

Not a real problem. If you master the everyday language, I guess you'll not have much difficulties. Well, OK, German is my second language after French.

--Patrick

Thanks again Samoreen. I have tried the Leserprobe and am very impressed by the boo's scope. Although I can read and understand the text, it no longer comes easily to me - it no longer flows naturally. It's 50 years since I lived and worked there and I've had relatively little contact with the language since then. The parts of the book I read are already familiar to me though no doubt there will be sections that would be new.

I've decided it's not worth my while to buy it, having already spent 80 Euros on English-language books that proved rather disappointing. Had I known then what I know now, I would probably have bought the German e-book, although I have to say my comprehension might have been somewhat lower then, when I was unfamiliar with AP, compared to now when I have a fair level of proficiency. 

Many thanks for your generous help.