You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes on using Space bar

I've just downloaded version 1.8 of all Affinity programmes but I've only been working on Publisher so far. I'm running it on the latest Windows and didn't have any of these problems with the older version.

Firstly Publisher crashes whenever I use the Space bar, which is after every word really! Secondly when I use Edit/Preferences Publisher just freezes. It's all very annoying really and the Space bar problem makes the programme virtually unusable!

A prompt resolution would be most helpful as I really can't do anything with Publisher the way it is at the moment.

• Staff

Can I ask you to check your custom shortcuts to see if spacebar has been assigned to something by accident please

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Ok thanks for checking. We need to replicate this here, as it's been reported by a number of users.

Do you use any font management?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Ok, by "font management" what I mean is any 3rd party application that loads and unloads fonts, which you may or may not be using.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I also just updated to 1.8 Publisher on Windows 10. Opened up a document that was created just a few weeks ago in 1.7.x version which was working fine. I update the form on a weekly basis (it's an agenda). Now, I opened the doc, selected a line of text to edit, and as soon as I tap the space bar, Publisher crashes and I'm at my home screen, and it's not just the same line of text, tried a different one, same result.

That's it exactly. Does your program also freeze if you try to use 'Preferences'? I have sent an email to Serif telling them about the problem as the program is virtually unusable as it is, I use Publisher all the time and really want it working again pretty quickly.

• Staff

Does this happen on an otherwise blank document? If so please upload a blank document here so we can see if it is your text style defaults.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Do you (both) have any input devices other than a mouse, like a tablet

What is the language setting showing in the character panel? as spell checking is performed when space is pressed it could be that

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Hi,

Can you go to %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher and zip up and attach the 1.0 folder, as it will contain crash reports which will help us track down the issue

If you disable all Auto Correct entries in Edit > Preferences if that fixes the issue?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

OK, I think the issue is now resolved, at least for the time being. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, I did have to do it twice, but the Space bar now works as it should. I had a problem with Preferences also, when trying to use that the program would simply freeze, that is also now resolved. The problem was baffling as I wasn't using any third party downloads/inputs at all, only what was included with Publisher. But it does seem to be working alright at the moment.

Thank you for your help, I hope this will help others who have the same problem, there is at least one on the Forum.

• Staff

Did you have any auto-correct entries that you had made for yourself in 1.7.3 that you have now lost?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem since this morning. I updated to the latest version 1.9.2 and as soon as I hit space, or comma, dash or any of these Publisher crashes. I had been working on this document past Thursday and everything worked fine. Using Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates. Please help. I need this for work.

bc51833d-4ec6-4646-80f5-f89b0207b26a.dmp

Edited by Sybille
upload of crash report

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Sybille!

If there is a crash, there should be a crash report within this path: %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Upload this crash report in your post and cross fingers a moderator will pick this up soon (or inform a moderator about this).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Sybille!

If there is a crash, there should be a crash report within this path: %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Upload this crash report in your post and cross fingers a moderator will pick this up soon (or inform a moderator about this).

Danke!!! das hab ich gleich mal gemacht, hoffentlich kommt schnelle Hilfe

On 4/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, Sybille said:

I have the same problem since this morning. I updated to the latest version 1.9.2 and as soon as I hit space, or comma, dash or any of these Publisher crashes. I had been working on this document past Thursday and everything worked fine. Using Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates. Please help. I need this for work.

bc51833d-4ec6-4646-80f5-f89b0207b26a.dmp 1.23 MB · 2 downloads

unfortunately there has been no help - i couldn't even open the settings of publisher without it crahsing.... I deinstalled Publisher and installed the prior version 1.9.1.979 and now everything is working again like it is supposed to...