You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.8 Font Bug- Fonts are not matching/recognized by the app (Win10)

PDPAD

Affinity Designer 1.8 cannot recognize or render 99% of Windows 10 basic system fonts correctly. Some of the installed fonts are also not in the drop down option/ cannot be found in the character panel. Even the previews in the drop down renders wrong. Is there any way to fix this?

FORUM.jpg

• Staff

@PDPAD

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Please can you tell us if you are using the Microsoft store build or the Affinity Store build and secondly are you using any third party font management software?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@PDPAD

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Please can you tell us if you are using the Microsoft store build or the Affinity Store build and secondly are you using any third party font management software?

Hi, Im not really sure what you mean by store build. I bought the software directly form the Affinity website. I don't have any font 3rd party font management software. 

• Staff

Thanks, that was the answer I was asking, bought directly.

The Microsoft Windows Store build (that you don't have) is slightly different so I was just checking.

We will investigate this further when we're back in the office next week. Thanks for your patience

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Huw Collingbourne, that last bit about not affecting a second PC is very interesting, thanks. I don't suppose they happen to have the exact same fonts installed, but we will need to see if specific fonts are relevant.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I'm having the same problem with 1.8. My projects load with different fonts and are jumbled-up in the character panel. I have to close out the app and restart to load my projects with the correct fonts. Windows 10 and my Affinity suite was a direct purchase. Thanks.

I have the same issue since 1.8 (Windows 10, not the store app). Not all the time. I have try to purge Windows font cache and restart. It's not always working.

I have notice that when Affinity software push a notification "font cache updated" the issue begin or the issue gets worse.

Unfortunately it's impossible to use documents edited or updated in 1.8 with 1.7.3 ...

• Staff

Hi PDPAD,

Is this wrong as soon as you start the app and apply a font, or does it appear after some time? You've said you don't use any third party font management software, however do you use Adobe's fonts via Creative Cloud, or any other method that fonts get added to Windows other than the standard Windows method of adding?

Would you be able to attach a copy of your Windows fonts folder to our internal Dropbox account please? If you can go to C:\Windows\ and right click the 'Fonts' folder and go to Send To > Compressed (zipped) Archive. This will allow you to create a zipped copy of the folder to attach to the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/4eJ86D7OSL3lsN5uBXTE

Thanks.

Hi Sean P,

Thanks for helping, Fonts are now uploaded to the link.

The problem occurred right after i purchased and installed Affinity Designer. I tested the type tool and the fonts are already missed matched and most of it are not recognised. I don't have Creative Cloud. however i practised to install my fonts using shortcut option because i have low memory space on my SSD (C:). I also initially installed Affinity Designer in my separate hard drive (D:), then tried it on (C:) when i reinstall it to test if it will get fixed. it doesn't still work. I always install soft wares in  my hard drive (D:) to save SSD Memory.

The issue has already been resolved in my PC. I did a windows reset and reinstalled the Affinity Designer first, as a trial, and in my main SSD drive (C:). Font shortcuts are now also working fine.

There might have a problem occurred somewhere.

17 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi PDPAD,

Is this wrong as soon as you start the app and apply a font, or does it appear after some time? You've said you don't use any third party font management software, however do you use Adobe's fonts via Creative Cloud, or any other method that fonts get added to Windows other than the standard Windows method of adding?

Would you be able to attach a copy of your Windows fonts folder to our internal Dropbox account please? If you can go to C:\Windows\ and right click the 'Fonts' folder and go to Send To > Compressed (zipped) Archive. This will allow you to create a zipped copy of the folder to attach to the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/4eJ86D7OSL3lsN5uBXTE

Thanks.

Hello,

As I have the same problem as PDPAD I allow myself to answer.
I guess the problem comes from updating the font cache. If I use Adobe Illustrator (CS6) at the same time as Designer, Designer tells me that it updates the cache then the problem occurs.

From there restarting the PC can temporarily resolve the problem. It's not always the same fonte that are missing.

• Staff

@PDPAD

We have new windows betas to test. I would be interested to know if the font issue is still observed in these new builds, as it may have been fixed by fixing another issue

Would any of you be able to install the beta and try it out and see whether it now works correctly with fonts for you? Thanks for your patience.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd