You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why can't I use "Save As"

macmacmac

Publisher 1.8.1 
Mac Mini (2018) with OS X 10.14.6. 
The files are on an external Thunderbolt disk.

I mean I can use "Save As" and continue working on the copy but when I do I'm asking for trouble because sooner or later I will be seeing this:

1957905816_Screenshot2020-02-28at17_55_13.png.28d679016fbd328d9c7c0a354884892a.png

At this moment it is best to push "Replace" and then close Publisher completely to minimize the danger of a corrupted file. 

1116438411_Screenshot2020-02-26at19_18_04.png.ee011e1d11102e984cc5baccacbdc9e2.png

Is it just me or can anyone confirm this? No other software I know of ever shows such a strange behaviour.

Edit: I should also mention that my impression is that these problems start or get worse after Publisher is open for a long time. I worked for four hours today and I think I didn't have any problems in the first two hours.

Well Time Machine is doing its thing every now and then in the background but I assume thats the standard on almost every Mac and should not cause any issue.

I somehow get the impression that you are not able to  reproduce the odd behaviour I'm experiencing. 

• Staff

Yes  - we have seen something similar in a particular corporate environment but have not been able to replicate the issue. I take it you are the only user connected to this exernal disk ? The error message indicates that the internal save counter has been altered as if by another user altering the file.

Does the mac ever go to sleep in an editing session?

Does the error occur if you don't use the external disc ?

No corporate envirement, just me, my Mac Mini and the attached disk. There is no other user altering the file. The errors happen without the Mac going to sleep. 

The error also appears when the Publisher file is on the internal disk but my project (photos and illustrations) would fill up my startup disk so those are always linked from the external disk.

My problem seems to be similar to this

What we have in common is that I also copy and pasted entire spreads from an older document to a new one.

• Staff

It might well be related to copying I'd need the file to investigate could you upload a copy of the original here please. Are you basically creating a new file and copying spreads between them, if you could indicate any spreads that seem to be done around the time the error occurs that would be useful.

In my situation, I have a "master" document that is 12" x 12". I am downsizing it by copying the page items to the "new" document that is 8" x 10". This is basically what a book writer/publisher would have to do - create a document for a paper book and then create a new document to support a differently sized e-book, etc. My Master is a "coffee-table" sized book, the New document will eventually be a smaller, different aspect ratio e-book.

I usually create empty pages in the New document (that is fully set up with defined spreads and Masters). Then I select the Master background image (if any) from the Master and copy/paste/resize that in the New and arrange it to the "back". Then I select all remaining items (photos, text,) from the page and do likewise. Then I adjust the New document to my liking (sizing, spacing). I don't copy "spreads", per se, just copy the elements from each page. Pauls, you mentioned the possibility of Index Mark issues. I do have a lot of indexed text that I am copying pasting between the documents. I will scrutinize those Index Marks and compare them between the documents, try to set up an index in the New document (which the New document does not yet have since it is very near the end of the Master.

As an aside, it would be great if AFPUB could automatically (or by command) resize the page elements to "fit" into the margins, bleed, etc., as needed. Basically either shrinking everything or expanding everything depending on the situation. The manual effort is considerable - it takes about 10-15 minutes per page with 3-4 photos, captions for each, and some additional text. They all need to be re-centered, resized, positioned; photos have to be "fit" to the Frame (or not).

I realize that is asking a lot since it is not the "way" the product is designed (giving the user the freedom to make discrete changes) and would really take some thought. For example, would the process reduce or enlarge the Font size - and across styles too? It's not an easy task.

I Think I tried to do that using a copy of the Master and then using the"Scale" function within either the spreads or document settings (not in front of me at the moment). The results were not sterling. That is why I am doing the scaling down manually so I can control every aspect.

Thanks for your help and advice, as always. Anxiously awaiting the next version.