You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Pressure not working

Hey guys sorry if this post is a bit sloppy or if this is a really dumb question but I just joined the forums because I'm having issues with my pen pressure. I tried finding the solution online and found nothing hence why I'm posting here.

Any ways onto the issue. So today I was in a really motivated mood to get some drawing done on a digital art project I've been working on in Affinity Photo. My issue is however, that for some strange reason my pen pressure doesn't seem to work. At first I thought it was my Wacom tablet because usually Wacom drivers are the culprit. But I decided to double check and test my pen pressure with some other programs. As it turns out my pen pressure seems to work fine in those but not Affinity Photo. I tried adjusting the pen pressure with size jitter in my brushes options. But nothing really happened. I also tried pressing the pen pressure button that forces control size but I had no luck. I'm lost on what to do can some one please help me? 

I have a screen shot attached to better show the issue I'm having. As the brush strokes should be affected by pen pressure but aren't. 

issue 1.png

I thought I should mention that at the time of writing this post I wasn't aware there was a new update. I checked my copy of Affinity Photo and apparently it updated without me knowing. Keep in mind it was working fine before the update.

25 minutes ago, Zolfarius said:

I thought I should mention that at the time of writing this post I wasn't aware there was a new update. I checked my copy of Affinity Photo and apparently it updated without me knowing. Keep in mind it was working fine before the update.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you're on Windows, and using something like a Wacom tablet, Affinity 1.8 requires that you enable Windows Ink in order to enable pressure support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're on Windows, and using something like a Wacom tablet, Affinity 1.8 requires that you enable Windows Ink in order to enable pressure support.

Ok I tried your solution and pen pressure now works. Thank you so much I was completely lost. 

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 hours ago, Zolfarius said:

I have experienced the same issue in Affinity Designer and thought that this would be rather a result of still being not very experienced in the work with the Affinity Designer. The pressure feature does not work for pen-brushes and for simple brushes. I hope that this will be solved soon...

I use the Affinity Designer on a Mac Book Pro

Holger

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @HolgerCarl.

What kind of tablet or pen are you using? And did pressure work before you upgraded to Designer 1.8?

-- Walt
PC:

@HolgerCarl I have a MacBook Pro and a very basic Wacom tablet.

You may need to change the Controller settings in the Context toolbar:

192653187_Screenshot2020-03-01at12_32_37.png.e3f8935120946c01c26e4916731aa991.png

With the Controller set to None, pen pressure doesn't work for me. With Brush Defaults it does.

Hope this helps,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @HolgerCarl.

What kind of tablet or pen are you using? And did pressure work before you upgraded to Designer 1.8?

I simply use a Mac Book Pro with its track pad. I think that this function hadn't worked before the update. The problem is that I even can't change the appearance of a brush curve, except for the thickness. I have attached a print screen (unfortunately it's all in German...). 

I have also tried the kind hint from h_d, unfortunately without any change 😞

I am really lost....

Holger

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-01 um 19.47.07.png

Try setting the Controller to Pressure before using the pen or brush.

-- Walt
PC:

Hey guys!

I also have problems with the pen pressure, in photoshop I solved it with the PSUSerConfig file by setting the value to 0 but in Affinity Designer I could not solve it.

I use a Huion tablet and I have the Windows Ink option enabled but it doesn't work ...

I reinstalled drivers and affinity program but it still doesn't work, I tried in Krita and corel draw but in these programs I have no problems ...

Please help.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, walt.farrell said:

11 hours ago, Rokzengr V said:

Hey guys!

I also have problems with the pen pressure, in photoshop I solved it with the PSUSerConfig file by setting the value to 0 but in Affinity Designer I could not solve it.

I use a Huion tablet and I have the Windows Ink option enabled but it doesn't work ...

I reinstalled drivers and affinity program but it still doesn't work, I tried in Krita and corel draw but in these programs I have no problems ...

Please help.

I discovered that the problem is the upgrade to AD 1.8
I went back to version 1.7.3 and the problem of pen pressure was solved.

What can I do to solve the problem in AD 1.8?

• Staff

Hi Rokzengr V :)

Please post in the bugs section of our forums so our QA team can investigate this issue further in 1.8 and hopefully provide a fix for you.

Many thanks in advance!

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/74-designer-bugs-found-on-windows/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, Zolfarius said:

Hey guys sorry if this post is a bit sloppy or if this is a really dumb question but I just joined the forums because I'm having issues with my pen pressure. I tried finding the solution online and found nothing hence why I'm posting here.

Any ways onto the issue. So today I was in a really motivated mood to get some drawing done on a digital art project I've been working on in Affinity Photo. My issue is however, that for some strange reason my pen pressure doesn't seem to work. At first I thought it was my Wacom tablet because usually Wacom drivers are the culprit. But I decided to double check and test my pen pressure with some other programs. As it turns out my pen pressure seems to work fine in those but not Affinity Photo. I tried adjusting the pen pressure with size jitter in my brushes options. But nothing really happened. I also tried pressing the pen pressure button that forces control size but I had no luck. I'm lost on what to do can some one please help me? 

I have a screen shot attached to better show the issue I'm having. As the brush strokes should be affected by pen pressure but aren't. 

issue 1.png

I have the same problem, i added affinity to my wacom driver, and pen pressure now works.

Professional_CPL_c2XIcsGnPT.png

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone still struggeling with this issue.  I'm used to having my WACOM pen set to mouse mode. I haven't used my tablet in a while and since then switched to 1.8. No pressure detection. When I switched to Pen mode in the mapping tab of the Wacom Tablet Properties pressure was working again (it's also where the "Use Windows Ink" option is hidden). It's slightly different than pen mode, since I used a small tablet, but it works for now. Please Affinity devs; Mouse mode worked before. Can we get it back?

Edited by OJ.

• Staff

Hi @OJ. :)

It appears when in mouse mode the detection for brush variance is changed to velocity, rather than pressure which my brush was based on. This isn't something I've seen happen previously, however we have a direct contact at Wacom so I'll have our QA team test this further now and contact them if necessary.

Do you recall exactly when this stopped working in Affinity? Was it from 1.7 to 1.8, or one of the incremental 1.8 patches?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

In further testing I believe I've found the cause of this - with the tablet pen in Mouse mode through Wacom settings, please set Mouse Acceleration to Off.

image.png

It appears with mouse acceleration on, velocity is calculated rather than pressure. Turning this option off should return pressure control whilst remaining in 'Mouse mode'

I hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Alexandre Martini,

Welcome to the forums :)

Firstly, please disable Windows Ink in your Wacom settings.
Now, open Affinity and navigate to Preferences>Tools and turn off Windows Ink here also.
Make sure the brush you're using supports pressure and check the Controller setting on the Context Toolbar. This should be set to Pressure.

I hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Dan C Just noting here for anyone else searching that with my older Wacom Bamboo Fun CTH-661 using Wacom driver 5.3.5.3 (the latest driver for this particular tablet) on Win10Pro v1909, there was no pen pressure sensitivity in Affinity Designer 1.8.3 vector brushes until I read your tip about the Controller setting. I've spent a couple of days rooting through forum threads, but your comment was the first one that got the pen pressure to work, so thanks for that. Is there a general Designer "Troubleshooting" thread I may have overlooked where all these tips are stored?

Also, turning off Windows Ink both in the Wacom Tablet settings and in Designer didn't change pen sensitivity in Designer, but it did cause my pen to jitter/map wildly after restarting my computer. I didn't change any of the Ink settings in Windows itself. After I re-enabled Ink in the tablet and in Designer and then restarted my computer, the issue resolved itself.

As an aside, also as a newbie to Affinity Designer, I found it odd that pen sensitivity isn't available from the get-go after opening the program and actually needs changing settings.

• 7 months later...

Rather than create a new thread with this same issue, I have decided to add my own similar trouble. I already did most of what was recommended by the staff members for fixing this issue. I am using the 1.9 Update for Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher. However, when I switch to the painting brush, one piece of the context toolbar doesn't show up at all; the "Controller" option in the context toolbar doesn't show up at all and so I can change the pen tablet setting  to "Pressure"; so no go on this issue. Please help:

All Affinity Updates are current to 1.9 series

Wacom Driver is the most recent including the recent "Intuos Pro Large Paper Edition" tablet.

Operating System: MacOS 11 Big Sur, OS Updates are to the most current.Using Refurbished MBP 15" 2013 Model.

Short Answer: "Controller" function doesn't show in context toolbar for Affinity Photo & Designer, even when Paint Brush Tool is active.

22 hours ago, JT_Allen said:

Short Answer: "Controller" function doesn't show in context toolbar for Affinity Photo & Designer, even when Paint Brush Tool is active.

Don't think it ever did, there is the better functionality available from the More button and the idiotic looking-like-an-archery-target icon

1383935561_ScreenShot2021-03-08at1_37_40PM.png.f8a7810c2fc43cb767b92b457317e4a6.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I had no idea that the "idiotic-like-an-angry-target" icon was for adjusting pressure sensitivity with tablets. I will just stick to the "More" button. That "target" doesn't really do anything on my end nor does clicking on it reveal any panel. Thanks for showing me @Old Bruce.

• 8 months later...