You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New input latency in 1.8

I installed version 1.8 today, and tried painting with it, but there was a crazy amount of input lag that wasn't present in 1.7.  This applies both to pen and mouse input with the brush tool specifically. The first thing I noticed was that there was about a full second delay before the brush would start drawing, and it would just draw a straight line from the starting point to the point the cursor is currently at and then start following the path from there. However, if I created any brush strokes too quickly, it wouldn't follow it all the way to the end of the stroke where I lifted off; It would just abruptly stop like 80% of the way there.

I tried updating other drivers on my computer, but none of that helped. So I reinstalled 1.7 again, and everything is working perfectly.

This kinda sucks because I feel like Affinity's input response is far better than most programs typically.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro btw

4 hours ago, WizardRobot said:

I installed version 1.8 today, and tried painting with it, but there was a crazy amount of input lag that wasn't present in 1.7.  This applies both to pen and mouse input with the brush tool specifically. The first thing I noticed was that there was about a full second delay before the brush would start drawing, and it would just draw a straight line from the starting point to the point the cursor is currently at and then start following the path from there. However, if I created any brush strokes too quickly, it wouldn't follow it all the way to the end of the stroke where I lifted off; It would just abruptly stop like 80% of the way there.

I tried updating other drivers on my computer, but none of that helped. So I reinstalled 1.7 again, and everything is working perfectly.

This kinda sucks because I feel like Affinity's input response is far better than most programs typically.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro btw

I reported this in for AD. I can't draw using Affinity apps now 😞 because of this. I tried different computer and the lag still there. I really like this version 1.8. I hope Affinity team will fix it soon.   

I think I have this same problem and have uploaded a video. I'm pretty sure some conflict with windows ink is causing this problem. It doesn't come across very well on video when using the brush tool, but it does happen with all brushes and brush sizes. It's much more while obvious using the navigator panel as you'll see in the video. After awhile I turned windows ink off to show the difference, of course pressure stops working since it's off but the input delay is gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJqeSnbB_v0

Drawing Tablet: Huion Kamvas Pro 16" OS: Windows 10 Pro Version: 1909 Build: 18363.657 PC Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x RAM 32GB @3200mhz GPU: GTX1070 OS and AF photo are running on fast m.2 SSDs

Thanks for making that video Alex! That's basically whats happening for me.

Oddly enough Alex and I have very similar setups; the only major difference is that I'm using an older Huion (GT220 display) and my driver doesn't allow me to turn off Windows Ink, only TabletPC, which doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect anywhere.

Also maybe worth mentioning: I tried drawing with the standard brushes in both large images (10,000 x 10,000) and super low (64 x 64), and the delay seemed almost identical.

I have a similar thing, maybe it is the same. I would describe it like that: it feels as if I had the Stabilizer activated and on a very low setting like 1-5 or something like that. As if the cursor would "wait" until I moved a little bit.

Turning Windows Ink off feels a little faster, so it is probably the same problem. If the pen hits the tablet, the dot is made instantly. If I move the pen very slightly ( I'd say 1-2mm in real), the lag appears. If I make longer strokes, all works well.

Other than that the performance of all brushes was improved quite a bit in the last months. :)

Edit: I'm on Windows 10 with a Wacom Intuos Pro.

4 hours ago, TheFlow said:

I have a similar thing, maybe it is the same. I would describe it like that: it feels as if I had the Stabilizer activated and on a very low setting like 1-5 or something like that. As if the cursor would "wait" until I moved a little bit.

Turning Windows Ink off feels a little faster, so it is probably the same problem. If the pen hits the tablet, the dot is made instantly. If I move the pen very slightly ( I'd say 1-2mm in real), the lag appears. If I make longer strokes, all works well.

Other than that the performance of all brushes was improved quite a bit in the last months. :)

Edit: I'm on Windows 10 with a Wacom Intuos Pro.

I too have the same thing. I just stopped using Affinity apps (for now) because of this. the bug ruined my experience 😫

No, it is off. Unless you tell me there is a hidden setting somewhere besides the checkbox in the topbar :)
I'm super sorry for the bad quality capturing, but I tried to screen record it with OBS, which didn't capture the cursor well enough so you could really see what is going on. So I improvised and recorded it with my old iPhone.
As you can see, I used the standard 1px brush to make it clear. Behavior is the same all across the brushes, no matter if they have textures, no textures, standard brushes or the ones I made myself. Hope it helps in any way.

@WizardRobot @Mark Ingram
I totally echo this. The lag is incredibly bad on my side too - and I'm using an iMac with an XP-Pen display tablet (which probably means the issue is universal, regardless of brand or operating system).
I addition to that (possibly related) I've also experienced weird thin tapers at the beginning of my strokes, even if I press really hard with my tablet pen - the unwanted tapered beginnings are a lot more noticeable when drawing fast.

In both cases it seems almost as if the tablet takes a second to read and interpret my tablet pen input, even after I've already started drawing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @Mark Ingram, is the little input lag that is happening when I'm using the color picker related to this issue? Just thought it might be the same reason since the latency feels pretty much the same. If not, ignore me. Anyhow, thanks for the fix so far, been drawing all week with AP!

15 minutes ago, TheFlow said:

Hey @Mark Ingram, is the little input lag that is happening when I'm using the color picker related to this issue? Just thought it might be the same reason since the latency feels pretty much the same. If not, ignore me. Anyhow, thanks for the fix so far, been drawing all week with AP!

It's not unfortunately. The lag in the document was caused by us waiting to see if a gesture was about to start. The lag you're experiencing in the rest of the UI is an issue that I have raised with Wacom. We're not sure why it's so bad (it's not that bad on a Surface Pro for example). When I know more information I'll get back to you. For now, you could switch back to WinTab (disable Windows Ink), which should remove that lag.