You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi scottidog1964,

If you look of the Layers panel you'll spot a little cog icon - click that and you'll get a dialog allowing you to specify advanced blending options. These should let you achieve what you're after, hopefully! Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks,

Matt

I am looking for a feature that allows for Blending if Gray. If working in photoshop you double click the layer you are working on in the layers panel and a panel opens for layer styles. In the center of the panel towards the bottom there are sliders that allow you to blend grays away. It is very handy when I work with various glassware. As an example if a drinking glass is photographed on a white background and I move the sliders the white will just vanish leaving the glass only.

Is there a way to do this in AP? I find the blend options you describe but there is no way to blend for grays. Your choices are Master, Red, Green and Blue.

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

That surprises me.  I don't doubt what you're saying and I haven't yet tested it myself.  I had assumed, perhaps naively, that blending options was based on pixel-by-pixel comparison of luminosity values and that if you chose a particular colour channel then it used only the luminosity of that colour.  I had also assumed that choosing grey caused it to work with the average luminosity of the three colour channels.

Is this wrong?  If not, I wonder then what the AP Master option is using if not the average of the RGB.

If anyone knows the answer to this I'd genuinely be interested to learn.

It has been a feature in PS forever. I use very little of the features that photoshop offers. This is the only thing that is must have for me because of my workflow. If anybody can help me figure this out it would be appreciated.

I can't get rid of Adobe fast enough...

I was curious about what the difference might be between the Gray option in PS and the Master option in AP so I did a simple test.  I stress that this is a simple test and does not allow for the more complicated use case you are dealing with.  Nonetheless, I concluded that, within the parameters of my test, the two options are essentially the same.  I'd be interested to know how your needs differ to try to isolate what the differences are between PS and AP.

Here is a link to a document that explains the test that I did.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7568628/Blend%20If%20%E2%80%93%20PS%20versus%20AP.pdf

• Staff

Yes, the two are the same.  Grey and Master.  The difference is that we allow you to create a full curve.  Photoshop only allows you to define a black and white min/max range, forming a fixed trapezoid curve to 0 and 255 extents.  We allow for full custom control over the blend with a fully user-defined curve.

This feature went in recently.  We have just added PSD import/export for this feature too, which will be in a coming Beta.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I would really appreciate a video for this which would compare doing blend if with Photoshop and doing it with the Affinity apps so we could better understand how to use the feature. After doing it Adobe's way for years, your way can be a bit of a head scratcher  :huh:

Thank you very much Coranda!! Your demonstration completely went over my head. I am essentially a noob who tinkers here and there with protoshop to prepare pictures for a website. I basically don't understand how the adjustment works in AP. I was able to get enough clues from what you did in the tutorial to get some success. I am very grateful for your help. The kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing. Wish I could buy you a beer.

• Staff

I'll ask the right people to make a tutorial.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB