You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ctrl+Z causes freeze

Designer v1.8.0.585 on Windows 10 Pro v1909 -- Ctrl+Z causes program to become fully unresponsive.

Replicate with the following steps:

1. Open preexisting .jpg file

2. Select vector brush

3. Draw any curve

4. Press Ctrl+Z on keyboard

At this point, the cursor can move freely but the program does not respond to any mouse clicks or key presses and has to be closed via task manager.

@Harry Dunaway

I have just followed your directions, opened a new Designer (1.8.0.585) document, inserted a "random" .jpg image, selected the Vector brush, drawn random lines on the image, pressed Ctrl+Z as many times as needed to remove those lines, and the program is still fully responsive (e.g. I can draw "new" lines on the image).

So, this is not a general problem with the app, I think.  Have you tested whether you get the same freeze with a different image or if you select a different brush?

Or, am I not following your method?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@emmrecs01

It now appears to have resolved itself, somehow! Yesterday I tried the same steps with a different image and got the same result, and then again today I repeated the process and got the same result once more, but after trying it one last time with the original image and brush settings... Everything worked perfectly. I’ve now tried it with a handful of images and several different brushes since then and it has worked exactly as intended every time.

I have not installed any program or system updates in the time since it first started happening, nor have I changed any settings anywhere in the program, so I have no idea what was causing it or why it’s stopped... But all’s well that ends well, I guess! Thank you for your help!

@Harry Dunaway

Delighted to hear it's now working as intended for you!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.