You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print pages on both sides

Not sure how to describe it... I want to create a ring file of gathered information. The final format is A5 portrait. Since this is going to be a growing collection, I want to create and add new pages as I collect more information. Not everything is appended to the end, so I'll insert new sheets somewhere in the middle, too. (I know I can't print page numbers then but that's okay.)

Now when getting this on paper, the printer only has A4 paper. I can print on both sides so I'd like to use the paper fully so I'll only have to cut the sheets in two halves, not crop on all 4 edges. (I accept the printer margins here.)

The final work should look like this:

• 1st A5 sheet (portrait): front is page 1, back is page 2
  • 2nd A5 sheet (portrait): front is page 3, back is page 4
  • 3rd A5 sheet (portrait): front is page 5, back is page 6
  • 4th A5 sheet (portrait): front is page 7, back is page 8

What I'd need to print to achieve the above is this:

• 1st A4 sheet (landscape): front is page 1 and 3, back is page 4 and 2 (sheet turned at short edge for duplex)
  • 2nd A4 sheet (landscape): front is page 5 and 7, back is page 8 and 6

How would I have to set up my document so that I can achieve this kind of output? I'd rather have the two sides of a final sheet next to each other on the screen so it's easier to maintain them. And I'd rather not lay out the document as A4 and scale it down to 2-up at print time because I'd lose exact sizing.

@ygoe, what printer are ou using?

On my printer (Brother HL 2270DW) dialogue box, I select duplex, booklet, and it does just what you want from four A5 pages on A4. This works from Word an I would guess it would work from Publisher.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Oops, thought I was in that forum. It's about Publisher 1.8 on Windows. Feel free to move the thread if appropriate.

No real printer yet. I'm trying things out without wasting paper, with the Bullzip PDF printer. But then I can't say what printer I'm going to use. Could be several. I don't want to rely on printer settings, they tend to suck.

Wouldn't it be much easier just to buy a pack of A5 paper? 😏

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

You would have thought so, but I have found that my laser printer will not accept A5 paper, or if it does it chews it up!.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Definitely. Especially when it seems to be a growing collection (in German called "Loseblattsammlung"). If this is not possible I would print with model N-Up. Odd pages first, after that even pages. If you need more than 1 copy even safer with N-Up, 2 Horizontal, 2 Repeat.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed