You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Apply Image Functionality Needed

• Staff

There is a dedicated Frequency Separation filter which is mathematically equivalent to the Apply Image method in PS if my memory serves correctly. There is also an Apply Image filter. It lacks channel specific blending - in Affinity the way to do that kind of thing is by using spare channels in the channels panel.

If you google frequency separation, the method using Apply Image is the most common method. The high pass method is handy for images where there are blown out areas in the skin because it tends to tone those areas down. I don't see any way to blend channels let alone as directly as you can with Apply Image. If you look at Dan Margulis' texts on color correction, Apply Image is frequently used.

I love the frequency separation into affinity photo. One of my favorite tool ! it's so much easier to do. Good job.

But apply image is far from just freq separation, like Jim said, it can do a lot of work for color correction, color enhancement even re-building light ! When you work in LAB you use it all the time. Plus you may do freq separation "manually" to get a different result. Always nice to have a few options :)

I will not use channels or curves to do that, it's way slower and less accurate. On a workflow point of view it's a no go.
I like affinity photo. I bought it day one. I find myself having to go back to photoshop every time I need "APPLY IMAGE". It's a shame because I think Affinity is more modern as a workflow. I just need this feature on every color work.

I work with printing companies and color experts everyday. If this feature is not in, I don't see myself telling people to get it. I wish that Serif will take this feature seriously. It may be an advanced feature that not everyone use, but professionals do. 

Affinity Photo wants to get the professional market right ?

I second this request.

We need to be able to blend channels, blend a layer with a channel, and substitute a channel by an ad-hoc greyscale image; either in RGB, CMYK or LAB (please note that even for RGB outputs, CMYK and LAB can be really important). Unfortunately, I don't see this feature in the "Affinity Photo feature roadmap".

The functionality of Apply Image is a must in color correction and in any serious photo workflow.

I hope the Serif Team can take this request into consideration.

I'm crossing my fingers.

• 5 months later...

Well we actually have the Apply Image command but to me it seems like it does just the same as if I´d use the image as a layer and set the blend mode. The only difference is that Apply Image works destructively.

Apparently in PS there are some benefits like you can choose which channels you want to blend so these options would probably give the Affinity Apply Image command more purpose.....

Although I´m wondering if one couldn`t "manually" achieve the same effect with a layer mask created from a channel which then masks the layer that blends into the source image.

I´m currently watching Natalia Taffarel´s Retouching tutorial and she creates the frequency separation by using Apply Image. She mentioned that the method using gaussian blur and High pass filter is not 100% accurate. 

I´m wondering what Affinity uses to create the automated FS.

They do not use the method which requires Apply Image. My guess is the Gaussian Blur and High Pass.

I started this thread back last July hoping that enough people would get behind the request to encourage the developers to add an Apply Image like Photoshop has (or maybe better given their ingenuity). So far, it doesn't look too hopeful  :(

• 3 months later...

You can control which channels Apply Image works on by turning on and off editing of the channel in the Channels palette (the pencil icons).

I haven't used this feature in Photoshop enough to know if that is exactly what you are looking for?

I think you would need to go through an "extra" channel to basically move the source channel to the destination channel first (through an intermediate layer) then apply from there, turning off the other channels?

I don't have it in front of me right now, so don't remember exact names and may be missing a step, but I believe it would be something like this right now:

1. With the source layer selected, right-click the source channel in the channels list and make an extra channel from it

2. Duplicate the source layer and select the duplicate in the layers list.

3. Right-click the extra channel that was created and apply it to the destination channel of the (selected) duplicate layer

4. Save the copy of the layer as an image to use as a source

5. Select the destination layer

6. Use the Apply Image filter to apply the exported image to the desired channel (turn off the other ones in the channels list)

7. Delete any intermediate items (extra channel, the duplicate layer, the saved image) if they are no longer needed

Assuming I got that right, there is obviously plenty of room for future improvement in this workflow, but it should at least be possible.

4. Select the destination layer

Thanks a lot for your answer, I appreciate it.

But all those steps make me "scream" if I think about how simple and immediate the process would be in Photoshop. No comparison.

I'll try blending channel your way with Affinity Photo and I'll tell you if it works, when I have some time.

But even so let me say the functionality is still needed :-)

I agree that this could be made much simpler.  Affinity's channel handling could use some improvement - but at least it is *possible* for now if I am correctly interpreting what you want to do, and hopefully they will improve things later on.

It seems like a relatively "easy" thing they could do in the short term would be to make it possible to "Apply Image" from another open image (pick from a list) or, ideally, from another layer in the same image, without having to save it first and select it in a file picker.

If they find doing it from another layer difficult, then an option in the context menu of a layer to "Open Layer as New Image" might be a helpful shortcut?

Note also that if the source and destination channels are the same you can skip the first three steps above...

To that end, adding the "Load To layer channel" options to the other channels for the layer (so directly copy the red channel to the green channel without going through a spare) would reduce the first three steps to just one - and I'm rather surprised those options aren't available already; they would seem like an obvious option to have?

• 2 months later...

If they find doing it from another layer difficult, then an option in the context menu of a layer to "Open Layer as New Image" might be a helpful 

That is quite easy to do manually, select layer, cmd-a, cmd-c, File>New From Clipboard.

I was testing something else about channels and I could work separate channels like they were independent images but to get there took repeated lever pulling/knob clicking and I am not sure what it took to get the darn thing done.

• 2 months later...

I'm afraid the missing Channel Blending feature (Apply/Calculations among channels of the same image, not involving saving duplicate copies) is a sad show stopper for anybody who does Color Correction and Prepress.

It's such a crucial and established technique that not being able to use it (or requiring so many time consuming extra steps, which is equal to: not being able to use it in production) is a wall I can't work around, alas.

FYI, I've added some extra comments and feat. requests related (mainly, but not exclusively) to the Color Correction / Prepress business here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/25530-color-correction-prepress-missing-tools/

Besides automation and Apply Image, the 10 channels palette would be a game changer IMHO.

Thank you

–Davide

• 2 months later...

Add my vote in the "Apply Image" suggestion box. In my case however I need it for a very different reason. I take colour pictures for biologists when they need very high colour accuracy and "apply image" allows me to still retain the original detail.

I too would clearly love to make the switch from Photoshop to Affinity but lacking the Photoshop form of 'apply image' absolutely prevents me from being able to do so.

Please keep up the good work...
for the larger serious and professional photographic community really needs this sort of complete alternative.