You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Template No Scroll Bar AWOL

Cecil

The file open New, Template on my AP scroll bar is AWOL.  Image provided is four of eight Templates in folder; however, I cannot scroll down to see all.

Template.jpg

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

We get a scroll bar on Windows. But as a workaround, try dragging the dialog window to make it wider. The default dialog size for me on Windows gives two columns of icons, but I can drag the dialog wider to get more columns. That might alleviate the need for you to have a scroll bar, while Serif works on it.

(I can also drag it taller, if that helps.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

We get a scroll bar on Windows. But as a workaround, try dragging the dialog window to make it wider. The default dialog size for me on Windows gives two columns of icons, but I can drag the dialog wider to get more columns. That might alleviate the need for you to have a scroll bar, while Serif works on it.

(I can also drag it taller, if that helps.)

@walt.farrell I had to play with it to get a scroll bar.  Full size, no scrolll bar, dragging scroll bar appears and disappears.  Also at a larger size, sometimes two rolls of templates appear.  Needs a fix.  Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

You're welcome. Yes, looks like it could be improved some on Mac.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You're welcome. Yes, looks like it could be improved some on Mac.

iMac 27”, 5K Display one would think the default would be sufficient for scroll display.  

Cecil 

• Staff

I'm sure this is dependant on the setting in System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars.

You should be able to use a wheel or gesture on a trackpad to scroll but there might not be a physical bar to drag depending on the above setting. I have mine set to 'Always' and I have a scrollbar.

48 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Your scrollbar vanishes when all the documents are visible in the Templates dialog. When you resize it to make it smaller, it pushes the templates down and the scrollbar appears. This seems correct to me.

It seems so on video.  When I open the Template, it has eight different .aftemplates.  I can see three and 1/2, no scroll bar, if I resize the scroll bar appears and I can drag to see all and/multiple rolls. Also shown in the video, the scroll bar disappears when dragging. No major problem, Walt pointed out the drag method, but why would you need to resize the window to see the scroll bar, it should be default, especially if your preferences are set to always? 

Cecil 

• Staff

But why do you need a scroll bar if you can see all of your templates? It doesn't need to show if there's no need to scroll. 

If you have a Finder window open with 10 files in it and all 10 files are visible, there won't be a scroll bar. If you then shortened the window so you can only see 9 files, a scroll bar will appear. I think we're just copying standard behaviour.

32 minutes ago, Chris B said:

But why do you need a scroll bar if you can see all of your templates? It doesn't need to show if there's no need to scroll. 

If you have a Finder window open with 10 files in it and all 10 files are visible, there won't be a scroll bar. If you then shorted the window so you can only see 9 files, a scroll bar will appear. I think we're just coping standard behaviour.

We are not communicating.  The video I posted above was to show the scroll bar appearing and disappearing and that my preferences was set to Always Show Scroll Bar.

If you review my first post, clearly the scroll bar is missing and I have eight Templates in the folder.  I initially had no clue I had to drag the menu to get the scroll bar to appear. Walt reply that I had to drag the screen to see the scroll bar.  My question was or is why? If scroll bar preferences is set to Always, as I posted screen shot, and the folder has more Templates then can be displayed on the screen, the scroll bar should, my default, show scroll bar.

Yes I can drag the size to see scroll bar, drag to see multiple rolls. That was not the basic or first question.   How would a new user know that they have to drag the Templates screen to see the scroll bar?  Now that I know how, no problem.  I was posting a potential bug or bug, as the Templates screen opened without a scroll bar and required me, the user to drag, to obtain. Thank you, I hope this helps in understanding the initial post/problem.

Cecil 

• Staff
20 hours ago, Cecil said:

We are not communicating.  The video I posted above was to show the scroll bar appearing and disappearing and that my preferences was set to Always Show Scroll Bar.

Correct. When you drag out the UI, all templates are visible and the scrollbar vanishes—that is fine because we don't need to scroll. This is the same behaviour as Finder.

Your initial screenshot does look wrong/broken because I can't see all the templates and there is no scrollbar. I cannot reproduce that, even after a reset and adding the folder again. I agree that this could really throw some people who wouldn't think to resize the UI.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Correct. When you drag out the UI, all templates are visible and the scrollbar vanishes—that is fine because we don't need to scroll. This is the same behaviour as Finder.

Your initial screenshot does look wrong/broken because I can't see all the templates and there is no scrollbar. I cannot reproduce that, even after a reset and adding the folder again. I agree that this could really throw some people who wouldn't think to resize the UI.

I reproduced, first try, 27" 5K 2019 iMac today.  I would consider it a bug. Also should in Finder doesn't work or as I think it should, click and directory location revealed.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 1.11.42 PM.png

Cecil 

• Staff

The screenshot confirms this is a bug. I've said all along as long as the templates fit inside the space, a scrollbar isn't needed and won't display. If they don't fit (like the screenshot depicts) it is a bug. 

I just cannot reproduce it but I will keep poking.