You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dictionary issues

emlazo1

Hi, me again, how to solve a missing dictionary?

I'm using the language español in the preferences, but every time I open affinity publisher, changes the language for english and I have to change the language for español in the preferences, again.

Then the preflight said: missing language dictionary for language (en-CR)

How to solve this?

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.26.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.26.47 AM.png

6 minutes ago, emlazo1 said:

I have to change the language for español in the preferences

The Preference you showed is only for AutoCorrect. And it just provides the list of automatic corrections to be used if the spelling language is Spanish.

The language for Spelling is taken from the Character studio panel, or from the Text Style used for the text. And the default for that language, for a new document with the default Text Styles, is taken from Preferences, General, where you can specify the User Interface language at the bottom of the list.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok but, when I change the language to español in general, changes the language of the entire app, not only the language I use for writing. And I don't want to use spanish as the default language for the app, only use a spanish dictionary in order of not to have the annoying issue with the preflight

That's a good start, and the fact that you can specify Spanish there means the dictionaries are installed. However, did you have it specified that way when you created the text?

If you go to one of the areas that showed the wrong language in PreFlight, and put the cursor in that text, does the Character panel still show Spanish? If not, you'll need to select all the text and assign Spanish to it.

Ideally you would define the spelling and hyphenation languages in a Text Style and assign that style to your text. If you want the complete document in Spanish, you could change the definition of the Base Text Style, and other Text Styles would inherit from it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You'll need to select all the text that isn't Spanish and use the Character panel to change it to Spanish. You can't just do it by having the cursor in the text frame.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...

Help!

Publisher's Preflight is insisting that I need a "missing dictionary for language (en-NZ)"... which seems entirely reasonable as I live in New Zealand.

But "English (New Zealand)" or "en-NZ" is not an option in the preferences list. Where do I find this dictionary? And how do I install it to keep Publisher happy and stop giving me all these "missing dictionary" errors???

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 11.46.43 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

same thing with the dictionary here with German after last update :-(

On 2/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, emlazo1 said:

Hi, me again, how to solve a missing dictionary?

I'm using the language español in the preferences, but every time I open affinity publisher, changes the language for english and I have to change the language for español in the preferences, again.

Then the preflight said: missing language dictionary for language (en-CR)

How to solve this?

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.26.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.26.47 AM.png