You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Project save over written via crash

Hello,

I’ve had a strange bug in 1.8 where I was working on a  large project, I then closed it to the project overview windows, it started to save and I opened a second large project to copy some assets over to the first, when I closed out of that project to the project overview windows the app crashed, when I reopened Photos the first project I opened image and art board seize reflected that of the second project and once it opens it it had all the assets from the second project and the original first file was no where to be found.

It seemed since to large projects where saving at the same time of crash, it rewrote the first project with the second projects data losing all work from that file. When I save both files to the files app both seem to have the same meta data.

It also seems if you make a change to one of the files both files will save when close one project and reflect the changed made in the other file (see video below)

I’ve attached both projects to this post to see if that helps in anyway, the file labeled “Broken” was originally a different project. And was rewritten with “project 2” data on crash.

Broken.afphoto

Affinity Photo Document.afphoto

Thank you for your time.

Andrew

c14a84770b0aac1bd123b13fbd7e3f16.png            Andrew Salfinger
Made by Campfire - Graphic Designer 

W: www.madebycampfire.com
E: hello@madebycampfire.com
T: https://twitter.com/madebycampfire

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Andrew,

I'm so sorry to respond so late to you. 

I have watched the video a few times and attempted to reproduce this myself but to no avail. Saying that, I have seen this happen once or twice before with other customers. 

As you say, both files appear to be identical as well. 

I think the key might be getting the app to crash at the right time... 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, Chris B said:

Hi Andrew,

I'm so sorry to respond so late to you. 

I have watched the video a few times and attempted to reproduce this myself but to no avail. Saying that, I have seen this happen once or twice before with other customers. 

As you say, both files appear to be identical as well. 

I think the key might be getting the app to crash at the right time... 

Yeah, I've had this happen to be a total of 4 times now. And has happen the same way each time. 

• To achieve this you need to Affinity project files (one must be a large file either in canvas size or file size) If you where to work on a project followed by closing the project (making the file start to save) then open a secondary project to work on then close this project (normally the app would then have a issue saving both files at the same time (it seems when your in another project while the fist large file is saving the app stops the saving process)) This will then cause the app to crash then once the app is open again you will have the same issue as above. (Sum up: Open large file > works on it > close it > starts saving > open second project > works on it > closes > starts saving the second project (first project still saving) > App crashes )

• Another way I've had his happen is similar In the sense you work on a Open large file > works on it > close it > starts saving > click on second project > App crashes 

> Away around this would be to wait till save is over, however the app can still crash via the saving alone, and this issue can still happen once you open the app and click on on a project, instead of opening the app it will open like a folder with the screen fade and a arrow to go back, if you click back, then click on the project again, it will not load as a folder this time but the app will crash, resulting in that project turning in to the Brocken one (this issue is much harder to record due to its complete random (this this bug is much rarer will try to get video of it.))

44 minutes ago, SalfingerAndrew said:

A way around this would be to

...instead use the Save option in Documents menu while in the workscreen. That way your edits are saved before you exit back to project screen. You also have a .afdesign file that will still be available if for some reason the sandbox version gets corrupted.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

...instead use the Save option in Documents menu while in the workscreen. That way your edits are saved before you exit back to project screen. You also have a .afdesign file that will still be available if for some reason the sandbox version gets corrupted.

This way still dose not work when dealing with the large project, since if you where to "Documents > Defaults > Save" due to the large profile file size, it would not have completed saving by the time you clicked on "Home" the project will still be saving and then can still cause a crash from the save alone or click on a new project.

Also the project can crash from just selecting "Documents > Defaults > Save". (this dose (the crash override, dose not happen all the time and only happens when working with multiple project if one of those project is large)

What do you mean by?

You also have a .afdesign file that will still be available if for some reason the sandbox version gets corrupted.

35 minutes ago, SalfingerAndrew said:

since if you where to "Documents > Defaults > Save

No, not that one. See attached pic for Document Save option.

35 minutes ago, SalfingerAndrew said:

What do you mean by?

Unless you actually use one of the menu 'Save' options, Affinity will only keep your file in its sandbox area. This version is inaccessible other than by Affinity app. If you corrupt it you are stuffed. Think of it as an open tab. Close the tab and content gone forever. 
However, when you Save the file (Hamburger menu Save, to default location), Document menu Save to default or any other location), Affinity stores the file as an .afdesign file that can be accessed by other apps, copied, moved, backed up etc).

For a detailed explanation read these posts:

340AFF51-6285-4914-B485-70E657EF8014.jpeg

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

21 hours ago, DM1 said:

For a detailed explanation read these posts:

Thanks, yeah I’ve all ready been doing the save to iCloud for back up for a while now. (And I definitely  recommend  this to anyone who uses the apps)

That being said this is only just a work around and dose not fix the issue, hopefully there is a way for the devs to fix it.

Tho I don’t understand why you recommend ”Save as a Copy” since this will well save as a copy each time you save the project this way (yes you can save over the project you save the last time) Tho the "Documents > Defaults > Save“ works just fine (and autoplaces it in the Affinity folder on iCloud(unless I’m missing somthing)) and updates the backup save each time (see attached video)

Update:

@Chris B I was able to sadly had the second version of the override save happen. This version is where the file duplicates like before however the projects share the same preview image but when you open either project the project is a sub folder insted of a project, this sub folder works like any other folder where you can create new projects within it and just like the fist version what ever you do in one “project” auto saves and replicates in the second version.

I’ve attached a video showcasing this bug where the project to the far right (the first two projects on each row (the charecter in the blue jacket with the purple background) the save bug duplited and turned it into a sub folder within a folder Home > Main folder > Sub Folder (used to be a project)

You can open like project like any other folder and create projects within it. How ever if you click the back arrow it will go all the way back to “home” and not the folder outside of it (this is due to the fact the app dose not support nested folders inside each other. 

Video of the project duplited glitch turning into a folder and creating a new project in it:

Also if you create a project within the Brocken project/folder and move the project outside of the folder (just like the back button) it will be placed on the home window and not the folder outside of it. 

If you then move that folder back into the main folder then into the Brocken project/folder it will case the app to crash how ever the folder is still Brocken once the app is opened and again and you can still create projects inside of it.

Video of the project/folder mirror save + moving projects in and out with crash:

I sadly can not attach both project files since they have turned into folder and these can not be exported.

Thanks for your time.

5 hours ago, SalfingerAndrew said:

Tho I don’t understand why you recommend ”Save as a Copy”

Just a 'one off' action that allows you your choice of destination folder (as distinct from affinity default folder). After that,  simply load (Open from Cloud) and edit the file and use Save as per normal from Document menu or hamburger menu to update the afdesign file.

Save works fine for default locations but I prefer my own folder location as there is a risk of losing files if removing the app (as it deletes the Affinity folder on iPad, along with content). Admittedly use of iCloud overcomes this issue but I don’t use iCloud much. 🙂

Interesting bug btw. Hope you get it sorted.

• Staff

Thanks for the info Andrew. I don't know if I'm just not quick enough (and I sometimes miss the Home button) but I still can't get it. It's clear you're definitely having an issue here. 

We do have some reports logged with development regarding similar behaviour. I think the app should simply not let you open another project until the save has completed. On Desktop, if you try to close the document whilst it is saving, you are presented with a warning. 

I've asked a colleague to check this for me as well.

22 hours ago, DM1 said:

Just a 'one off' action that allows you your choice of destination folder (as distinct from affinity default folder). After that,  simply load (Open from Cloud) and edit the file and use Save as per normal from Document menu or hamburger menu to update the afdesign file.

Save works fine for default locations but I prefer my own folder location as there is a risk of losing files if removing the app (as it deletes the Affinity folder on iPad, along with content). Admittedly use of iCloud overcomes this issue but I don’t use iCloud much. 🙂

Interesting bug btw. Hope you get it sorted.

Oh I see, it all depends on workflows and yes if you don’t use iCloud then I guess it would be a bad option. Tho in the settings you can change the default save location but I think it’s limited to either on the iPad (local storage) or iCloud Drive. (But we are getting off track from the original post about a bug and talking more about backing up / saving the work it self. Tho thanks for the information on the matter and did not know affinity had a “save as copy” so this will be helpful none the less.

22 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the info Andrew. I don't know if I'm just not quick enough (and I sometimes miss the Home button) but I still can't get it. It's clear you're definitely having an issue here. 

We do have some reports logged with development regarding similar behaviour. I think the app should simply not let you open another project until the save has completed. On Desktop, if you try to close the document whilst it is saving, you are presented with a warning. 

I've asked a colleague to check this for me as well.

@Chris B  This bug is not limited to only “Project saving > opening a project while prior project is still saving” But can happen if “Project is saving > App crashes due to save > Either the last open project prior to save or project next to the saving project will be overwritten.

This bug happens in both iPadOS apps and I was originally thinking it was due to large file size apps(1GB+) (since the app would take longer to save and crash to the amount of information it was saving (with the large files it would not matter how much you changed in the file to cause the save crash, it would be working on a large amount of changes or simply cratering a vector box, it could then cause the app to crash while saving)

• If you are trying to recreate the original crash save issues your self, with a basic Affinity project I don’t think it would be possible due to how fast the software can save the infomation, you would need to be really quick to open another project. You would need a project while where it take a bit to save (due to the large canvas size and file size)

• In terms of not being open a document while another is saving is true, most of the time the app dose not but for some reasons it still allows you to open app.
    • lets say you where working on a project, exited it, it took around 10 seconds to save, but some times the app would allow you to open another file while it was still saving (lets say you click it while it was at 8 seconds out of the 10) and this then may be another bug in it self

Tho this bug is not limited to this way of occurring (and is rarer to happen this way (when a project is saving and you open another project)) Like with yesterday’s update on the project save overwritten. It seems it happens more with the fact of the app simply crashing while saving. (And from my experience not limited to large files (since the new project to happen this to Was only 14.9MB with a document size of 2010x2560px)

Outline:

Work on project > closes to save > app crashes > file that was saving will do one of two things 1) cause either the last file open or the file next to it, to be a duplicated version of it self 

• Work on Project
  • Closes Project to “Save”
  • App crashes
  • The file that crashed will then do one of 3 things:
    1. Cause the project that was open prior to crash to be overwritten with the project that crashes causing it to be a duplicated version and take on any changes made to the other project (like the first post)
    2. Causes a project next to the crashes project to be infected and create both projects to have the same preview as each other but the project way look like a project but is in fact a folder (like the video from yesterday’s post)
    3. Cause the project to crash simple duplicate it self (not harming any other files  but like number 2 even tho this project looks like a project once open it will open like a folder allowing you to create new files and such

The 2nd and 3rd ways if happen always act the same:

• When the crash fist happens and you open the app, both files will look like a normal project (like in the video) but when you open it, it works like a folder (and can be nested inside of another folder for example Home > Folder Main with projects inside > Nested glitch project that turned into a folder
  • Tho inside the glitch project that tuned into a folder, even they it has a preview of the project, it will not be located inside however if you create a new project inside of it, it will cause the preview icon to change to a normal folder window where you can see the different projects sqaure icons
  • You can then move this project outside of the folder (causing it to be back to the home screen and not the folder outside of it (due to the fact Affinity dose not handle sub nested folders) how ever you can not then move the file back (see more info via the videos: on this post:

This seems to be a hard thing to re-create due to how random it is, and I’ve not really been able to force it to happen. But is normal due to the 2nd and 3rd ways where when the app it saving it crashes then will either just simple duplicated and turn into a folder or infect a file either close to it or last opened prior to the file that was saved.

Another way to also get this to happen is when a large file is saving and you switch apps, after a while being out of the app affinity will have to re-start when you go back to it (due to ram or somthing) and this to can cause a issue with the file that was saving.

I had a another version of this bug happen (kinda) but with out the app crashing. I was moving between to projects (the main document and a asset document) when moving between these two documents it caused the “Main document“ to:

• No longer open
  • No longer have the document size information or colour value displayed to the right
  • No longer have the save open within the menu
  • Can not be dragged out of Affinity to the files app (along with an error “Cannot load representation type com.seriflabs.affinity-photo.documand”

Document size 2560x1440px, file size 111.3MB

See attached video:

• 7 months later...

I'm still getting this bug when project file saves can be over written and not be opened. This version of the issue is when closing the project can cause said file to be duplicated and clicking on it will not open but project but act more like a sub folder (both of the duplicated files act this way.)