You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request for feature request feedback

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

I hope that if this File Format is supported before the Vector Distortion Tools, the same people that requested the Format will be here to tell those who want the Distortion that their own request was more important.

When they do, I am sure they will be joined by those who want a knife tool, PDF passthrough, comprehensive scripting/macro support, find & replace, & several other features not yet implemented in all the apps, to be the most important ones that should have been done first.

I am equally sure there will be all the usual comments about how their favorite missing feature must be easy to add, a basic or indispensable one they cannot believe was not there from day one, one sure to boost sales through the roof, & so on.

It is just the nature of the beast.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 3/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, Mark Ingram said:

I've replied several times on the DXF / DWG thread, and many other feature request threads (and I would prefer that this particular thread doesn't turn into a duplicate of a particular feature request), but... 

When we released Designer originally (5.5 years ago) it was marketed as "Vector illustration and design". At no point did we mention CAD, or technical illustrations. A lot of the complaints that we receive with regards to this seem to be along the lines of "I've just switched from product X and I'm disappointed to find that you don't support DXF/DWG!". We recommend that potential customers evaluate the software (via the trial or reviews) to see whether it meets their requirements, and if it doesn't, please stick with whatever you are currently using. I appreciate that people would love to have this functionality in Affinity Designer, and trust me, it's something we discuss internally, but we need to focus on the core features (and bugs...) that people expect for vector illustration and design. Since we released Designer 5.5 years ago we have been providing free feature and bug fix updates over that time, so it's possible DXF/DWG and/or other feature requests may be added in future versions, but we don't make any promises until the code has been added, else it will lead to disappointment if we promise a feature and don't deliver it or don't deliver it on time. We recommend checking the beta forums to find out what features are arriving in future versions, and feedback to us in order to guide the development.

Thank you for this reply. I do respect your priorities and choices, even though I hoped they would be different. It's your software and you definitely know your customers better than me. I also think that this feature, without moving into an outright CAD application, would broaden that customer base considerably by enabling the software for makers and fablabs.

I will resign from further pestering this forum for the feature and buy another group of licenses for CorelDraw instead since DXF/DWG is vital for our labs workflow. 

Best wishes /schack

• 1 month later...

Dear Serif,

there are feature requests which are for a niche. And there are feature requests which could increase your customer base massively.

Being able to import/eport dwg/dxf while maintaining it's layers is in my estimate a massive increase in potential customers.

Don't give Adobe an inch. That is why we are supporting you!