You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request for feature request feedback

It's fantastic that Affinity regularly updates Designer, Photo and Publisher. And even more fantastic that the updates are free for existing user. Kudos for that. 

But, and there is a but, I would gladly pay for premium updates and requested features if that would lead to more developers where being hired to work on the software. One of the most requested features since 2015, DXF/DWG filesupport, is sadly again not a part of the current update. And my only guess is a lack of manpower. This feature would open up Designer to a massive market of makers/physical designers (and a range of machines like laser cutters, folio cutters and CNC routers)  and would probably pay for itself in increased sales in a very short time. There is only a very few programs with DXF/DWG support on the mac and they all cost 10 times what Designer cost. 

Lastly I'm perpetually stunned by that lack of communication on this subject. It feels like every time someone writes about it in this forum they are getting stonewalled by moderators or affinity itself. What is that about? 

Edited by Mark Ingram
Changed title as we already have a DXF / DWG thread

• Staff
1 minute ago, schack said:

...getting stonewalled by moderators or affinity itself. What is that about? 

We do not tend to comment on unannounced/unreleased features as it raises too many expectations, particularly about commenting on every other requested feature. Public betas are the only heads-up at the moment, sorry. Also this is not the place for this conversation either, so I will not be engaging in further dialog here.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Also this is not the place for this conversation either, so I will not be engaging in further dialog here.

This completely validates my previous argument. Stonewalled yet again. 😞 

If this forum and this post on a new release is NOT the place for this conversation then, i ask, where is?? How do you clarify what your user want and need? Is it only some arbitrary in-house process? 

Too many expectations you say? I can find requests for this feature dating back to a couple of months after the initial release of Designer. We don't have any expectations left. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, schack said:

If this forum and this post on a new release is NOT the place for this conversation then, i ask, where is??

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
11 minutes ago, schack said:
11 minutes ago, schack said:

..so I will not be engaging in further dialog here.

Stonewalled yet again

No, sorry I think you misunderstand my use of 'here' in that statement was actually here (this announcement thread) and not here (these forums). However I am head of QA and don't actually influence the features that will be implemented, so it's not me you want to hear from anyway :( 

We provide a place for customers to make suggestions and discuss them, those forums are monitored by the decision makers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Have you tried searching for how many request threads there are for this feature? 😄

It might be "the right place" but no one from affinity or any moderator have answered any questions on the subject since 2015!

1 hour ago, schack said:

One of the most requested features since 2015, DXF/DWG filesupport, i

I have no idea what file format your referencing other than its obvious its bit supported at this time.

However for me, the software again far sup pases Adobe CC (Continuous Cash) Subs. Who also have many many years of development and cash flow!

It sounds like users who might have the desire to use such file formats could also search or use a file converter or another software. 

I personally think the Affinity team are great, and keep up the good work! 

• Staff

I have had to split these posts off from the announcement thread, as often happens other users have chimed in and that totally detracts from the point of the announcement post. I do not split posts off lightly as it can upset, which is not my intention, so sorry to anyone who does not like my actions.

That thread is linked to directly from the auto-update dialog within the application, and is meant to be there to announce the improvements and fixes.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

31 minutes ago, schack said:

Have you tried searching for how many request threads there are for this feature?

Have you noticed how few of them actually are posted to the feedback forum?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, schack said:

It's fantastic that Affinity regularly updates Designer, Photo and Publisher. And even more fantastic that the updates are free for existing user. Kudos for that. 

But, and there is a but, I would gladly pay for premium updates and requested features if that would lead to more developers where being hired to work on the software. One of the most requested features since 2015, DXF/DWG filesupport, is sadly again not a part of the current update. And my only guess is a lack of manpower. This feature would open up Designer to a massive market of makers/physical designers (and a range of machines like laser cutters, folio cutters and CNC routers)  and would probably pay for itself in increased sales in a very short time. There is only a very few programs with DXF/DWG support on the mac and they all cost 10 times what Designer cost. 

Lastly I'm perpetually stunned by that lack of communication on this subject. It feels like every time someone writes about it in this forum they are getting stonewalled by moderators or affinity itself. What is that about? 

De forholder sig konsekvent og dumstædigt til en idé om en utrolig lille kerne af udviklere, der arbejder i en uattraktiv by for andre udviklere at arbejde i eller at flytte til (gætter jeg). De får næppe de bedste ansøgere dér. Det ændrer sig heller ikke over tid.

Intet tyder på, at de ændrer mening eller strategi, og det er ret tydeligt, at udviklingen går langsommere og langsommere i samme tempo som produktet tager til i kompleksitet og der udvides med iOS udgaver. Jeg tvivler også stærkt på, hvorvidt de har kompetencerne til en række af de avancererede funktionaliteter, der er efterspurgt her i årevis. Og... hvem gider - eller kan - vente årevis på dem. 

Hvis ikke produkterne opfylder dit behov nu, så anbefaler jeg, at du rykker videre. Jeg har brugt programmerne i min fritid til stærkt begrænset hobbybrug - jeg kunne ikke drømme om at bruge dem professionelt. De sidste par opdateringer var om noget en bekræftelse af mine mistanker. De har hidtil givet et indtryk af at have mere professionelle ambitioner end de havde med de gamle programmer før Affinity, men det er ret tydeligt, at de stadig kun satser på den lille bruger og virksomhed. Det har været deres forretningsidé i tyve år, jeg tror ikke de ændrer på den.

Du har ret i det med forummet her - bemærk den ekstreme mangel på professionelle brugere. Der er til gengæld en overvægt af halvfanatiske og helfanatiske tudefjæs, der ligger på lur for at hade alle med kritik og ambitioner. Det er med andre ord programmer for hobbyister, der optræder som stammekrigere herinde.

Programmerne har et godt fundament og pris - men vejen frem herfra er lang og usikker.

Rigtig god weekend 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:35 PM, Patrick Connor said:

I have had to split these posts off from the announcement thread, as often happens other users have chimed in and that totally detracts from the point of the announcement post. I do not split posts off lightly as it can upset, which is not my intention, so sorry to anyone who does not like my actions.

That thread is linked to directly from the auto-update dialog within the application, and is meant to be there to announce the improvements and fixes.

No complaints from me. I did sorta hijack the announcement tread, but calculated that it might get some attention that way. Meh, it sorta didn't. 😕 

On 2/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, dopeNL said:

I have no idea what file format your referencing other than its obvious its bit supported at this time.

However for me, the software again far sup pases Adobe CC (Continuous Cash) Subs. Who also have many many years of development and cash flow!

It sounds like users who might have the desire to use such file formats could also search or use a file converter or another software. 

I personally think the Affinity team are great, and keep up the good work! 

So you don't know anything about the file formats I mention but still need to chip in with Adobe bashing and suggest online converters? You clearly have no idea! 😕

23 hours ago, Jowday said:

De forholder sig konsekvent og dumstædigt til en idé om en utrolig lille kerne af udviklere, der arbejder i en uattraktiv by for andre udviklere at arbejde i eller at flytte til (gætter jeg). De får næppe de bedste ansøgere dér. Det ændrer sig heller ikke over tid.

Intet tyder på, at de ændrer mening eller strategi, og det er ret tydeligt, at udviklingen går langsommere og langsommere i samme tempo som produktet tager til i kompleksitet og der udvides med iOS udgaver. Jeg tvivler også stærkt på, hvorvidt de har kompetencerne til en række af de avancererede funktionaliteter, der er efterspurgt her i årevis. Og... hvem gider - eller kan - vente årevis på dem. 

Hvis ikke produkterne opfylder dit behov nu, så anbefaler jeg, at du rykker videre. Jeg har brugt programmerne i min fritid til stærkt begrænset hobbybrug - jeg kunne ikke drømme om at bruge dem professionelt. De sidste par opdateringer var om noget en bekræftelse af mine mistanker. De har hidtil givet et indtryk af at have mere professionelle ambitioner end de havde med de gamle programmer før Affinity, men det er ret tydeligt, at de stadig kun satser på den lille bruger og virksomhed. Det har været deres forretningsidé i tyve år, jeg tror ikke de ændrer på den.

Du har ret i det med forummet her - bemærk den ekstreme mangel på professionelle brugere. Der er til gengæld en overvægt af halvfanatiske og helfanatiske tudefjæs, der ligger på lur for at hade alle med kritik og ambitioner. Det er med andre ord programmer for hobbyister, der optræder som stammekrigere herinde.

Programmerne har et godt fundament og pris - men vejen frem herfra er lang og usikker.

Rigtig god weekend 🙂

Jeg er fuldstændigt enig, bare lidt ærgerligt at Affinity ikke kan læse med på dansk. 🙂 

Mht. "at rykke videre" så er det faktisk udfordringen. Det er relativt småt med programmer til mac der supporterer DXF og dem der er, er enten mere umulige at tegne i end AutoCad eller de koster en mindre formue. Jeg har adgang til den nye udgave af CorelDraw gennem mit arbejde og det løser alle mine daglige behov, men det skal ikke forhindre mig i at slå et slag for DXF support i Designer. Det ville være et fantastisk produkt for makere og andre brugere af fx. FabLabs. De er ofte mac-brugere og savner ironisk nok ofte penge til software. 🙂 

Men du har nok ret. Jeg har rendt panden mod en mur med Affinity gennem de sidste 5 år. Måske det er på tide at kaste håndklædet i ringen. 😕

14 minutes ago, schack said:

Jeg er fuldstændigt enig, bare lidt ærgerligt at Affinity ikke kan læse med på dansk. 🙂 

Mht. "at rykke videre" så er det faktisk udfordringen. Det er relativt småt med programmer til mac der supporterer DXF og dem der er, er enten mere umulige at tegne i end AutoCad eller de koster en mindre formue. Jeg har adgang til den nye udgave af CorelDraw gennem mit arbejde og det løser alle mine daglige behov, men det skal ikke forhindre mig i at slå et slag for DXF support i Designer. Det ville være et fantastisk produkt for makere og andre brugere af fx. FabLabs. De er ofte mac-brugere og savner ironisk nok ofte penge til software. 🙂 

Men du har nok ret. Jeg har rendt panden mod en mur med Affinity gennem de sidste 5 år. Måske det er på tide at kaste håndklædet i ringen. 😕

Ork, firmaet kender min mening. De er nok trætte af den. Jeg er træt af at vente. Det er der så gået 5 år med. Du og din pande kender muren. 😣

Jeg tror, at det meste af lavindkomstverdenen eller grupper med problemstillinger som din har håbet på, at de her programmer blev løsningen på alt muligt, og snart kunne erstatte næsten alle programmer for en billig penge. Men jeg ser tydeligere nu konturerne af, at Designer og kompleks matematik er deres svageste punkt og/eller firmaets mindste forretningsprioritet... og at Designer er et svagt støtteprogram, der er bygget på fælleskomponenter som Photo og Publisher får mest ud af. Jeg ser ikke DXF i deres forretningsmodel. Lige nu bruger de ret tydeligt det meste af deres energi på at få Publisher løftet op, og det program har i forvejen tynget udviklingen totalt ned. Det blev forsinket i årevis. Fremtiden ser lige så langsom ud. 

At give sit besyv med her er et spild af tid - og det er det vist også at vente på bare små reelle forbedringer. Jeg tegner lidt for sjov i Designer. Men bruger Adobe Illustrator og CC på arbejde.

Held og lykke med at finde det du søger! 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

8 hours ago, schack said:

So you don't know anything about the file formats I mention but still need to chip in with Adobe bashing and suggest online converters? You clearly have no idea! 😕

totally agree, first of all i want to do anything possible in one software other thing is maybe your customers are not that happy if you upload their files anywhere.
hopefully this will be adressed in the next release and we dont have to wait another years for DXF/DWG import export
and dont get me wrong i totally like the intuitivity of your products, but at some point i am loosing faith in your speed and direction of develepment and how you handle your customers needs.

as i have allready postet on twitter i would like to see a kind of uservoice site to better see you customers wishes and needs and make everything more transparent like on substance feedback/uservoice site

anyways thanks for your hard work

http://feedback.substance3d.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/filters/top

Come on guys.  Why does this seem to continue to fall on deaf ears?

Most of the work I do involves designing control panels as well as their associated membrane or silkscreen overlays.

When I purchased Affinity Designer late last year through the app store, I mistakenly assumed that would import and export DXF files as this file format is required to transfer in and out nearly all industrial design tools, including the ones I use like Altium Designer and SolidWorks.

Optimistically, with all of the recent fanfare and positive industry accolades received for Photo and Designer during the couple of years, I felt certain that the development team would certainly see the light and appreciate how critical the need is for such an industry standard file format to be implemented, and that DXF file import and export would surely be added into 1.8.  And certainly with its recent successes Affinity would assuredly be able to budget the expense to pay some poor starving coder to get down to brass tacks and get this figured out.  My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw that it still had not.

I agree that Affinity really should provide a response on something that just seems to be so basic and such an unbelievable glaring omission - and for five years of ongoing requests. The lack of DXF import and export sadly has made this purchase unusable for me so far, and I would really like to see that change.

I've replied several times on the DXF / DWG thread, and many other feature request threads (and I would prefer that this particular thread doesn't turn into a duplicate of a particular feature request), but... 

When we released Designer originally (5.5 years ago) it was marketed as "Vector illustration and design". At no point did we mention CAD, or technical illustrations. A lot of the complaints that we receive with regards to this seem to be along the lines of "I've just switched from product X and I'm disappointed to find that you don't support DXF/DWG!". We recommend that potential customers evaluate the software (via the trial or reviews) to see whether it meets their requirements, and if it doesn't, please stick with whatever you are currently using. I appreciate that people would love to have this functionality in Affinity Designer, and trust me, it's something we discuss internally, but we need to focus on the core features (and bugs...) that people expect for vector illustration and design. Since we released Designer 5.5 years ago we have been providing free feature and bug fix updates over that time, so it's possible DXF/DWG and/or other feature requests may be added in future versions, but we don't make any promises until the code has been added, else it will lead to disappointment if we promise a feature and don't deliver it or don't deliver it on time. We recommend checking the beta forums to find out what features are arriving in future versions, and feedback to us in order to guide the development.

You can COPY/PASTE from  AUTOCAD to AFFINITY DESIGNER in Windows.. not the real answer to DXF import / export requests but it does work. 

Shout Out  to Igor Malagutti mentioning this in a FB group post...

seems to respect all entities colour, linetype and position... text converted to curves

Stroke width initially 0, so need to adjust that to show the strokes.... scaling you need to check as AC dimensions can be huge.

PS, Mark,, you are missing a huge Architectural and technical production design market without DXF import/export

On 3/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, Mark Ingram said:

it was marketed as "Vector illustration and design". At no point did we mention CAD, or technical illustrations.

It is good to dampen expectations I guess, although "Vector illustration and design" is ofcourse a VERY general term.

Speaking for myself I never expected AD to be a CAD program (neither are Illustrator, Coreldraw etc. btw). But for me there are some non-CAD / non-'technical illustration' features missing that aren't on the horizon (beta). It's nice ofcourse that the affinity suite is relatively low-cost and all the updates have been free, but if this is the reason for development slowing down it isn't very promising.

So after reading your post I have decided to sidetrack affinity designer, and stop following the forums.

@Markio why do you think development is slowing? People are assuming that because we aren’t adding their requested feature, that we aren’t doing anything else, which is obviously not the case. We have dedicated teams for each project and we are recruiting developers to help us deliver more features and products in the future. 

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

@Markio People are assuming that because we aren’t adding their requested feature, that we aren’t doing anything else

Come on that's disingenious! I am fully aware that there are people profiting from new features (requested by a user or not); on the other hand there are features that people never use (newly added or existing).

It's just my perception that the rate of development of AD is generally lower than at product launch, good thing that developers are being recruited.

I hope that if this File Format is supported before the Vector Distortion Tools, the same people that requested the Format will be here to tell those who want the Distortion that their own request was more important.

Best regards!