You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - File takes 5min+ to open

Hey everyone,

I'll get to the problem right away. I've browsed the forums and haven't seen anything that could help me.
I'm using Affinity Designer to create flyers for a client. Those files are shared via Google Drive, so that when I'm offline, the client can still make small changes such as change text or images.
While I usually have files that are well over 400MB, for either Affinity Designer or Photo, those never take more than a minute to load.
But this particular file takes around 5min for 160MB version, and even more with some updates that push it up to 200MB.
I've tried opening it on both Win10 and latest MacOS (MacBook Pro). Win10 machine even has better hardware than the Mac, and still no change in loading time. On the other hand, Mac ran out of memory and storage space so hard that it just shut down.... 😕
I've noticed that opening the 200MB file would eat up literally all space on Win10 machine SSD (even if Affinity was installed to HDD), and it would take up 12 out of 16 GB RAM.
I have gone and tried resizing the images, deleting unnecessary assets, and then the file size actually GREW for a couple of MB.

If anyone from Affinity can help with this, I'm ready to send the aforementioned file privately and disclose more information.
I'm really loving working with Affinity, but this is very much messing with our tight deadlines.
If I'm breaking any rules by posting this here, please let me know.

Thanks in advance 👋

Try copying all of the elements and creating a new document and pasting the elements into the new document, saving the new document and then opening the new document.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I did that once I had managed to open it.
I've split the file into two (since there were two versions of flyers). One of them still ended up having around 200MB, but is a bit faster to open.

I've just tried opening a 300MB file and it takes even less than the 200MB one.
I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the assets. I've tried minimizing the size of all images, delete any unnecessary or unused layers, which didn't help.

Still, thanks for your advice, firstdefence.