You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Associatiaon

Sam Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 2/28/2020 at 1:58 PM, Sam Neil said:

double clicking on it will ask me if I want to open it with either of the Affinity products. Any reason why?

If you've never open that file before, it will ask you which app to use. All our apps can open each other project files. So it would make sense to ask. 

On 3/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, Gabe said:

If you've never open that file before, it will ask you which app to use. All our apps can open each other project files. So it would make sense to ask. 

This is good and bad. If I have a APUB document, I would really want to open it in Publisher (99.9%) of the time.

17 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

This is good and bad. If I have a APUB document, I would really want to open it in Publisher (99.9%) of the time.

right-click > Properties > General > Change
and you can change the default app for this file format.

I guess I know what Sam Neil means. From time to time the Affinities hijack the file association of other formats. I experience this mostly with PDF. So once a day I have to correct the file association. I wonder if this is an Affinity matter or a Windows 10 matter. If I recall it correctly I never had such a problem with Windows 8.1.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I guess I know what Sam Neil means. From time to time the Affinities hijack the file association of other formats. I experience this mostly with PDF. So once a day I have to correct the file association. I wonder if this is an Affinity matter or a Windows 10 matter. If I recall it correctly I never had such a problem with Windows 8.1.

aaah i heard of that from other software too and i see many fingers pointing to windows. Some recommend restarting some services some other recommend reinstalling windows. The later seems a bit extreme, but most certainly fixes it. Just searched for "Windows File Association" and yeah many complain about having to choose the app which opens the file every time, it changed to some other app,.... seems not so nice to have that bug.

• Staff
On 3/19/2020 at 7:35 AM, Joachim_L said:

once a day I have to correct the file association.

Hijacking the file association could only happen during the install/uninstall/update. That's most likely a Windows issue, as we don't do any file association during the normal run-up of the app. 

16 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

I don't have this with any other software

Do you have any other software suites that share a common file format? That’s the issue: an ‘Affinity Publisher’ document is just an Affinity document which happens to have been created in APub.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It happened again right now. APu suddenly opens PDF as default programme. Please test it yourself.

1. Restart your PC.

2. Start APu. Then use File -> Open to open a PDF file.

3. Save the new file as you like.

4. Open the PDF you opened in step 2 with doubleclick.

Result: Now APu is default for PDF. If I change back the default programme for PDF, all PDF will be opened with the default PDF viewer (in my case Acrobat Pro) until the next machine reboot. My OS is Windows 10 Pro. So I have still no clue who is to blame. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

It happened again right now. APu suddenly opens PDF as default programme. Please test it yourself.

1. Restart your PC.

2. Start APu. Then use File -> Open to open a PDF file.

3. Save the new file as you like.

4. Open the PDF you opened in step 2 with doubleclick.

Result: Now APu is default for PDF. If I change back the default programme for PDF, all PDF will be opened with the default PDF viewer (in my case Acrobat Pro) until the next machine reboot. My OS is Windows 10 Pro. So I have still no clue who is to blame. ;)

Did exactly that and the PDF still did open in the default pdf-reader, not in APub. On 2 windows machines. Something is weird on your side.

Yes, you are right. Assigned PDF to Foxit, restarted and PDF was assigned back to Acrobat Pro. Maybe Acrobat Pro X is now too old. I will ask our IT department.

------

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Do you have any other software suites that share a common file format? That’s the issue: an ‘Affinity Publisher’ document is just an Affinity document which happens to have been created in APub.

I have the trio