You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How much RAM should publisher use

Oneofone

Publisher is using 7.42GB + of Ram to run.  I have a brand new iMac that has 8GB of RAM in it.

The document is 19GB file size and not yet finished, linked photos not embedded.

Everything is so slow. Do I need yet another computer with more RAM .

Is using this much memory  normal or not normal.

How much RAM should Publisher use with large photo heavy publications.

I never had this problem with using Indesign with large publications like this one. I need answers soon please, so I can continue work

Why would you need another computer?  Is it possible to install additional RAM on your current computer?

5 minutes ago, Oneofone said:

Everything is so slow. Do I need yet another computer with more RAM .

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

8GB of RAM is really not a lot for working with large documents such as images and layouts. 

Im pretty sure the iMac has user upgradeable RAM slots. Much better idea to upgrade it rather than buy a new machine if it is new as you say. 

For files that big, I’d look to maximise the RAM. I think with the current 27” iMacs that means 64GB. Certainly go for 32GB as a minimum. Others may have more experience working with such large files though. 

A good indication that you’ve not got enough RAM is that the file you’re working on is substantially larger than the total amount of RAM you have. I’d aim to make sure you have enough RAM so that the finished document is comfortably contained within it. That is after all the other users of RAM on your machine. 

2 hours ago, Oneofone said:

The document is 19GB file size and not yet finished, linked photos not embedded.

Could you tell more about your .afpub? How many images, 8 or 32bit, what file types ... respectively what might make the document file size that large?

Was your document started in v1.7.3 and contains linked Affinity files? Note that since APub v1.8.x an .afpub size doesn't increase that much with linked Affinity files as v1.7.3 does – whereas I'm afraid you would need to replace these links to get the advantage of v1.8.x when opening a v1.7.3 document.

Even if linked resources take 19GB on disk you don't necessarily need that 19GB as RAM if they don't open and show up in full size within your .afpub but rather in reduced size and screen resolution. So the demanded RAM also depends on the resource types and their placed dimension and the document resolution.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, robinp said:

Im pretty sure the iMac has user upgradeable RAM slots.

The 27 inch iMac does have user accessible RAM slots, but for the last several years the 21.5 inch iMac does not. It has to be configured at time of purchase with Apple's (in my opinion) high-priced RAM upgrades.

1 minute ago, garrettm30 said:

The 27 inch iMac does have user accessible RAM slots, but for the last several years the 21.5 inch iMac does not. It has to be configured at time of purchase with Apple's (in my opinion) high-priced RAM upgrades.

I’ve never understood why anyone would buy the smaller one, so I think I’ve never really paid it much attention. 

I do wish they would stop soldering things like RAM on a desktop. It’s understandable on a laptop, but a desktop is just plain annoying. 

8 minutes ago, robinp said:

I’ve never understood why anyone would buy the smaller one

I have a 21.5 inch iMac from 2011 at home, and I think that size is well suited for home use. Back then the RAM slots were still upgradeable, but iMacs got too thin for the smaller iMacs to have room for slots rather than soldered RAM. I think Apple's obsession with thinness is misplaced for a desktop. When I finally get to replace it, I will look at a 27" only because I want to upgrade the RAM. (So Apple wins after all.)

At work, I love my 2019 27in iMac. The screen space is much needed for layout. I will note that I first got it in its first week of availability, and it came with 8GB of RAM. I was waiting on good 3rd-party RAM, thinking that 8GB was woefully inadequate. I started by going to 24GB, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference. That really surprised me, but as I got the larger Fusion drive (which has a much larger SSD portion), the swapping is fast and not noticeble. However, we are very image-light in our publications. Sounds like you have needs for more RAM than I do.

We live in a smaller house and so have the 21.5 inch screen fusion drive. I may be able to get it upgraded.

I have hundreds of images which would suggest that they are embedded as you say thomaso but I have checked my folder containing all these images and it is 25 GB. so they cannot all be embedded. So many photos are far larger than I would expect, most of them should be 1000px square at 300dpi but are 140Mb big. I would expect nothing to be over 20 Mb which some are, especially ones done after 1.8.1.

AF photos seem to have come out at all sorts of weird huge sizes even though I am using the same macro to convert them to 1000px square at 300 dpi

If I have more Ram then I could actually do some proper work. I have had a full reinstall of the operating system but running publisher just still eats all available Ram. I think it is a RAM issue and a publisher software issue.

44 minutes ago, Oneofone said:

I think it is a RAM issue and a publisher software issue.

So it would be worth to try to surround such issues. I guess workflow alternatives offers options to "optimize". You did not tell but I assume you filled the .afpub in v.1.7.3, and you placed native Affinity documents like .aphoto or .afdesign. To surround the disadvantage of native files increasing the .afpub (in v.1.7.3) you could either replace them in v1.8 again – or even replace the resources with exported smaller file types, as e.g. JPG or PDF.

It might sound strange for you to create additional exports but the total amount of all involved file sizes can be kept smaller that way. The fact that you may edit placed native files within APub (+/- Studio-Link) of cause has to increase even the .afpub, regardless whether you want to edit them there or not.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I learned that it is at least possible on the 2019 21.5inch iMac, because it does not have soldered RAM like I thought. But it is not easy or cheap.

Suggestion, shop for RAM on Amazon or other online retail outlets.  Apple is twice or more than most.  Just make sure you purchase the correct type.  It will be listed on your installed memory or Apple account, orders.  If you have 8 GB, you will have two 4 GB cards in two bays.  You can buy two 16 or two 8 Gb cards and place in the empty bays.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

I like Crucial.com also. But breaking into the current 21.5 inch iMacs is no easy proceedure. I have installed new components like an SSD in my 2011 iMac and new batteries in iPhones, but I am not brave enough to try opening one of these iMacs that has the panels glued on. Here's a video in case you want to know how it is done:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/iMac-21-inch-2019-memory/

Also, if it is not a 2019 iMac, I would make sure the RAM has slots like in the video, because my understanding was that the recent iMacs had it soldered to the motherboard. Maybe I was mistaken, but I would hate to get that deep into the Mac (certainly voiding the warranty) only to find that dead end.

If it is a brand new iMac you are out of luck unless you want to void your warranty. Apple will not upgrade the RAM at an Apple store and anyone who will will void your warranty in my opinion. If you are using this computer for work use you really should look at something with more. Personally I think 16 gigs is small these days for pro use. If you are planning on regularly working with large files then you may need to look at other options or void your warranty with a RAM upgrade.

19 gigs is a massive file if the files are not embedded. I would think all images are embedded as that is default for Publisher I believe. I would not say using 7.8 gigs is out of line. I just saved a calendar job from indesign as IDML and opened in Publisher, Publisher was using just under 4 gigs and all the linked files were missing. Indesign file was only 85mb.

32 minutes ago, wonderings said:

If it is a brand new iMac you are out of luck unless you want to void your warranty. Apple will not upgrade the RAM at an Apple store and anyone who will will void your warranty in my opinion. If you are using this computer for work use you really should look at something with more. Personally I think 16 gigs is small these days for pro use. If you are planning on regularly working with large files then you may need to look at other options or void your warranty with a RAM upgrade.

19 gigs is a massive file if the files are not embedded. I would think all images are embedded as that is default for Publisher I believe. I would not say using 7.8 gigs is out of line. I just saved a calendar job from indesign as IDML and opened in Publisher, Publisher was using just under 4 gigs and all the linked files were missing. Indesign file was only 85mb.

I have a new 2019 iMac and it certainly doesn’t void Apple’s warranty or Apple Care to add RAM.  True, I would check out your model to determine if you have the access RAM Door in the back of your iMac display.  If yes, it’s a five minute job to insert or remove and insert new RAM.  Two important details:  ensure you buy the correct RAM and remove the tape on RAM sticks before inserting,  if you can do that, it’s just a matter of opening the door inserting into empty bays or replacing.

Cecil 

On 2/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, Cecil said:

I have a new 2019 iMac and it certainly doesn’t void Apple’s warranty or Apple Care to add RAM.  True, I would check out your model to determine if you have the access RAM Door in the back of your iMac display.  If yes, it’s a five minute job to insert or remove and insert new RAM.  Two important details:  ensure you buy the correct RAM and remove the tape on RAM sticks before inserting,  if you can do that, it’s just a matter of opening the door inserting into empty bays or replacing.

I am guessing you have a 27" iMac. The 21.5" is different and is not accessible like the 27" model. 

Just now, wonderings said:

I am guessing you have a 27" iMac. The 21.5" is different and is not accessible like the 27" model. 

2 minutes ago, wonderings said:

As stated yes I do.  The OP, in original post did not state display size and was responding to that.  Second post I did see 21”.  Not clear if he want to uupgrage computer or RAM.  If RAM, expensive.  If computer, very expensive.

Cecil 

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

As stated yes I do.  The OP, in original post did not state display size and was responding to that.  Second post I did see 21”.  Not clear if he want to uupgrage computer or RAM.  If RAM, expensive.  If computer, very expensive.

RAM can be cheap. It is just unfortunate how Apple is closing everything off as Apple's cost of RAM is ridiculous. When I buy my iMacs for work I buy with base RAM and upgrade myself as it is super easy to do on the 27" iMacs. 

1 minute ago, wonderings said:

RAM can be cheap. It is just unfortunate how Apple is closing everything off as Apple's cost of RAM is ridiculous. When I buy my iMacs for work I buy with base RAM and upgrade myself as it is super easy to do on the 27" iMacs. 

Only the very rich or misinform would purchase RAM greater than the base model.  I did purchase the new iMac 2019 model, in fear the newer model release will prevent one from upgrading RAM.  BTW, the signature, if populated as mine, show the users model.😊

Cecil 

34 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Only the very rich or misinform would purchase RAM greater than the base model.  I did purchase the new iMac 2019 model, in fear the newer model release will prevent one from upgrading RAM.  BTW, the signature, if populated as mine, show the users model.😊

That would probably be my end with Apple if they did that.