You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FIREWORKS .FW.PNG IMPORT

Like many others, I have hundreds of .FW.PNG files I am unable to recycle as I can no longer open them with the original layers (vector and bitmap).

Would it ever be possible for you to create a plugin to allow users to open their files with Affinity Designer and then re-save them in another format?

Edited by weaver2020
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I worked on an experiment to read Fireworks PNG files and convert their vector information into SVG files. I still have that code but it is an incomplete work. If Serif were to allow us to create proper plug-ins for its tools, I could resurrect my old code and provide this plug-in, but it seems this is not a priority for them (although it would reduce the number of claims to provide support this or that file format).

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

If the files are very important to you, you could rent the Adobe CC thing for a month, install Fireworks (still available under the older apps), and convert your files to SVG / psd. But this will only work on a Windows machine: Fireworks no longer is offered for Mac users due to it being a 32bit app.

Another option is finding a working portable Fireworks CS6 which currently roams the net, but I would only touch that inside a windows virtual machine due to malware risks. Not a solution unless you know what you are doing an are familiar running virtual machines (such as VirtualBox).

• 1 year later...

I wonder whether any progress has been made in this topic since last year?
I just got Affinity Designer this year and would like to finally migrate all my Fireworks CS5 files. However, while I did a test saving a file as PSD I realised that the 'layers' of the file could be opened in AD, BUT not the 'pages' contained in the file. 

I'd be happy for any hint...
Attachement: Screenshot of 'save as' options from FW

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-20 um 11.42.02.png

Edited by Dlopezben

12 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

The developer of Photopea (an online-only Photoshop clone) implemented Fireworks file support last December. It works quite well, and allows us to convert FW files to PSD versions (which can be loaded in Affinity). Not sure about pages, though...

photopea.com/

I am really in luck! Thank you for this. I've just tried it and it works even for pages!!!

I took a FW .png file file with some pages and saved it as PSD: it exports 1 file and when you open it in AD the content of the pages is displayed in one lengthy canvas (depending on how many pages the original .png file had). The best of course is that every single object is selectable ! which is what probably anyone using pages needs.