You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on path issue

When I create a circle to use for a text on a path, but it has a line and/or stroke before I use the text tool on it, this formatting is preserved when I put text inside it. This would not be such a problem, even if it makes little sense to me, however I can not change the properties of the shape after I added the text: I can only change the text properties, but I can not access the shape properties. It would be more sensible to me if the shape defaults to have no stroke or fill when I put text on its path.

2 hours ago, postmadesign said:

It would be more sensible to me if the shape defaults to have no stroke or fill when I put text on its path.

That's the way it works in Designer, I think. But Publisher has more capabilities, because it has the Text Frame studio panel. Using the Text Frame panel you can set the frame's fill and stroke separately from the text's fill and stroke.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 7 months later...

The default behavior should be changed in Publisher so that it matches the one from Designer.

When you are in the Designer persona everything should behave exactly like in Designer. Otherwise, millions of small differences will slowly creep into the software and create much frustrations (see Adobe 😅).

1 hour ago, fdelaneau said:

The default behavior should be changed in Publisher so that it matches the one from Designer.

Users have complained when their paths disappear in Designer.

And then other users complain when they don't disappear in Publisher.

It would take an option in Publisher, and additional function in Designer, to satisfy everyone.

-- Walt
PC:

I don't really care if the line disappear or not. That depends completely on the user previous habits. It doesn't behave the same on both applications and that is not ok !

For me the only true guideline should be that the tools should behave exactly the same as in their original application (photo or designer).

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, walt.farrell said:

Using the Text Frame panel you can set the frame's fill and stroke separately from the text's fill and stroke.

The APub manual for text on a path should mention this extended functionality more prominently. There is a short sentence in paragraph ”To create path text“ (without a link to the Text Frame panel), but the AD/APh text about the discarded original object (which it is not in APub) comes much earlier in this page.