You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes / horribly slow when importing IDML with 72 pages and ~600 linked images

Hi, the title says it all I think. I tried to import our quarterly product catalogue which we work on in InDesign.

I tried to import it as an IDML in Publisher 1.8, but the following things happen:

• Have to wait several minutes (3-5) to even see something happening, after dragging the IDML file onto Publisher.
  • When it opens and I try to move any image (snapping turned off), it takes about 4-5 seconds for Publisher to move that image over.
  • Cannot save the file as .afpub, Publisher just hangs.
  • The images the catalogue uses are wildly varied in size, from small 72 dpi all the way to A0 size 300 dpi images.
  • The IDML file with all the linked files is roughly 7 GB in size.

Now, I understand that IDML import is a very new feature. I'm just trying to figure out if it's on my end or it's a generic problem. If I import roughly 100 images from the same catalogue into a newly created Publisher document, then all is well, everything's snappy and I can save it easily (it only takes about 2 seconds, just wow), also it opens in about a second or so.

Also, you guys are making great strides and I did not regret buying the holy Affinity trio. Thanks!

System specs:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 630
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Version 10.0.18363

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, yes, similar issue for me.

I tried to open a large IDML file...and Publisher slowed my computer to a crawl, using up all available application RAM and then proceeded to chew up hard drive space. I was left with 168MB (yes MB, NOT GB), which brought my system down. 50 GB of hard drive space were used attempting to open an IDML file.

THIS IS NOT OK.

If this feature is "not ready for prime time" then it should not be included yet...