You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After you selected the mask layer ,you can use a black brush to  mask unwanted parts.

If you want to edit/ finetune  the mask, it's ALT + click.  When done, click on the "Arrière plan" to exit the  editing

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

I suppose that's because you have three identical image layers on top of each other.
If you're masking the middle one you wont see any changes !! 

If you still cant sort it out, please attach the .afphoto file you're working on

Edited by HVDB Photography

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff

Hi ChEV,
Thank for the file. I've checked it and it's working correctly on my end. Please follow those steps:

- open your file
Notice the rock is quite sharp. This is because the top pixel layer is way shaper than the bottom pixel layer
- tick the mask layer to enable it
Notice the image becomes smoother/less sharpen. That's because since the mask is all black and you have enabled it, it now hides the top pixel image layer it is attached to (so only the bottom layer is actually visible on screen (which is way less sharpen than the top pixel layer)
- select the Paint Brush Tool make sure the colour is set to white. The idea is to paint with white on the mask over the rock area to reveal the respective part of the top pixel layer which is more sharper
- IMPORTANT: click the mask's thumbnail in the layers panel to select just the mask layer. This is probably the step you are missing/doing wrong because if you have both the top pixel layer and the attached mask selected you are actually painting the top pixel layer with white and not the mask as intended.
Notice that when you move the Paint Brush Tool cursor over the rock area it shows a preview of the result: a much sharper area (that's coming from the top pixel layer and becomes visible as soon as you paint with white on the mask
- click and paint over the rock area (with the mask layer always selected in the Layer 
Panel) to make just the rock sharper.

Save the file when you finish (i did not have trouble saving it). Let me know if it crash for you again.

Hi ChEV,

If the intention was to only sharpen the rock, I would add a Unsharp Mask live filter adjustment, then apply the adjustments as desired, invert the mask (CTRL+I  or Layer > Invert) and then use a white brush to paint the adjustment back in.

_M7A8859_adj.afphoto

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

Hi MEB!

First of all, thanks for your answer! Yes, it was the color the key of all. Once switched on white, it was exactly what I wanted. So for me it's now Ok.

Hubert, you have right, but I wanted  to follow the tuto and was stuck with this color problem. thanks for your answers and help!
Goal was to use the pic adjusted into NIK Sharpener and reveal only the stone so retouched.

Thank you BOTH for taking time for me, that's so great such a responsiveness!

Cheers from Sweetzerland and MEB, here is the file.

_M7A8859-mask-white.afphoto

Edited by ChEV