You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW images by Sony alpha 6600 opens extremely dark

I have just got a Sony alpha 6600 with the kit lens 18-135. When I  open the raw files in Affinity, the pictures are extremely dark. If I increase the exposure, the highlights are completely blown out. If I open the file in other viewers, the exposure is fine. Since I am new to Affinity, maybe I missing a setting or something?

I don't see the lens in the list of supported lenses. Is that the problem?

I am attaching a file.

DSC00221.ARW

• Staff

Hi star4514,

Welcome to the forums :)

I've downloaded the RAW file provided and opened this in Affinity Photo and PS Camera RAW. Below is a screenshot showing these side-by-side -

Screenshot_(3).png

These seem very similar to me, could you please confirm, are you seeing results different to mine shown in Affinity?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan,

Yes, my results are different. I have attached screenshots of the picture as opened in Affinity and as opened in Irfanview. Also attached another picture as it opens in Affinity and the same one opened in Irfanview. The difference is striking: the Affinity is way too dark and the other looks normal. No editing done to either shots.  I just don't know why the difference and I don't seem to be able to do any adjustments in Affinity to correct the darkness. It is the same with all other pictures I  open in Affinity. Before I got this camera I used Lightroom 5 but it does not open the raw files from the a6600 so I can't compare directly.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Capture 1 Affinity.JPG

Capture 1 Irfanview.JPG

Capture 2 Affinity.JPG

Capture 2 Irfanview.JPG

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response. If you open your RAW file then navigate to View>Studio>32Bit and make sure this option is checked, then please provide a screenshot of this dialog in your app - it should look as below:

image.png

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Thanks for your reply.

I opened a number of files with the 32-bit preview checked. Some opened with the window as you show it, others with all items greyed out. I attach three screen shots: two of the same file, before and after I pressed the blue Develop button (I am not sure what that button does as I did not see any difference in the photo?), and one screenshot where the preview is the same as yours.

More of the files opened with the preview correct. When it is correct the photos look as expected. I just don't know why some are not open correctly.

Capture3.JPG

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for your further screenshots - I can see the 32bit setting is correct, so this may be happening due to your Windows Colour Profile in use, as Affinity uses this to convert colours in your open documents.

Could you please follow the steps in the below post and let me know if this helps?

Thanks!

Thanks, Dan.

I only use one monitor, an AsusPA248 graphics monitor which I calibrated with a Spyder Elite on 2 December, 2018. The ICC profile I created then is the default one I use for the monitor. In Affinity colour preferences I set the 32 bit RGB color profile to "sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from the calibration (linear)", and ticked off "Convert opened files to workspace".

Files opened in Affinity Develop Persona now seems to be the same as in other viewing programs, so I think my problem has been solved.

Thank you for your help.

14 hours ago, star4514 said:

I only use one monitor, an AsusPA248 graphics monitor which I calibrated with a Spyder Elite on 2 December, 2018. The ICC profile I created then is the default one I use for the monitor. In Affinity colour preferences I set the 32 bit RGB color profile to "sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from the calibration (linear)", and ticked off "Convert opened files to workspace".

Files opened in Affinity Develop Persona now seems to be the same as in other viewing programs, so I think my problem has been solved.

Although that appears to have resolved the issue, I think that's just masking the root cause.  From the description, it sounds like you're now using a monitor profile.  I would leave that set to 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (Linear)'.

On the screenshot where the 32-bit preview is greyed out in the Develop persona, the title bar (where it shows the colour profile) is showing the raw image isn't opening as 'RGBA/32 (HDR) - RAW'.  

I would ensure you're on the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.8.0.585) and then try resetting Affinity Photo back to the default settings and seeing if the raw images still appear too dark in the Affinity Photo Develop persona (and what the title bar shows).

Before doing so, ensure you export any custom settings so that you can re-import them again afterwards—as they will all be reset (for example, assets, brushes, macros, shortcuts, styles, swatches, etc.).

To reset Affinity Photo, close Affinity Photo, press and hold the CTRL key on the keyboard, then launch Affinity Photo whilst keeping the CTRL key pressed.  When the 'Clear User Data' dialogue box appears, click the 'Select All' button at the bottom and then the 'Clear' button to clear all the user data.