You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD mockup - problem with more complicated smart objects.

Hi, I just updated to 1.8, and have some observations.

When opening PSD mockup containing more complicated smart object, there is an issue with some layers alignment. When opening the same file without smart object support, those layers are aligned.

For example, this is what happens with mockup from ZippyPixels, https://zippypixels.com/product/mockups/apparel/free-crewneck-sweatshirt-mockup/

Layer called "effect", inside smart object is completely misaligned, and design area is also not perfectly correct.

Simple smart objects seems to work well.

opened as smart object.jpg

opened without smart object.jpg

• Staff

Hi Graphilupe,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately we're aware that not all properties of SmartObjects are currently supported, with Layer Effects being one of these.

We hope to add this functionality into a future update of Affinity Photo, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you for your replay.
I can understand that not all features of SmartObjects are supported, and I'm really glad that simple SmartObjects work.

I still think, here is a bug though, pixel layer called "Effect" is displaced even if I move it out from SmartObiect (but for this problem I found a fix: I simply copied that 3 "Effect" layers from file opened without SmartObjects support).
Bigger problem is that perspective is also slightly changed, compared to normally opened file (and maker's sample).

But to be honest, I appreciate this functin, it is always better than no support at all.

opened without smart object - effect layer.jpg

opened as smart object - effect layer moved.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Smart objects: Layer Styles applied to Smart Objects in Photoshop are not imported in Affinity Photo) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Note: PSD Smart Objects are now optionally importable into the very latest Affinity Designer 1.8.x betas too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @ivan.dedos,

Our developers have been periodically updating our PSD importer for Smart Objects to try and include new/previously unsupported properties - however there are still certain adjustments that we don't fully support unfortunately and this is likely the reason you're seeing a difference when opening the PSD in Affinity.

Can you please confirm for me:

• Are you opening this PSD in the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.9.2)? 
  • Under Edit > Preferences > General do you have both the following options checked?
    image.png

Can you please upload a sample PSD file for us also?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Many thanks for your file and for confirming that for me! I have been able to replicate this here, so I'm adding your file/info to our developers log for this issue and we hope to improve this in a future update.

Many thanks for your report, I hope this helps :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately there's not yet been any further update here - I believe our developers are currently focused on performance improvements over new features in our current beta versions, so I suspect we may look to begin adding new features in the version following this. Unfortunately our developers do not confirm dates for features before they've been implemented in the app, so I couldn't provide a more specific timescale at this time, my apologies.

• 5 months later...