You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Erase Brush Tool freezes program when increasing or decreasing brush radius

Mystical

I am experiencing this issue since the 1.8 update where the erase brush tool freezes my application every time I increase or decrease the brush radius. It sometimes will take several seconds before I regain control of the application again and in some instance I think the program has just hardlocked on me. I have always had my performance setting to GPU and I have a Nvidia RTX 2070 Super so I don't think its my hardware, I did not experience any freezing like this in 1.7 either. I've been working on a 4096x2048 document as well in-case that extra info is helpful.

@Mystical Are you using a mouse? I have the same problem when using a regular mouse using alt+R click+L click for any type of brush, not just the Erase brush. It doesn't happen every time, but it is basically inevitable when using the shortcut, so I have started relying on the keyboard shortcuts for brush size change instead which work fine. Tablets are another story, since they don't work at all there.

• Staff

I'm only seeing a performance hit if my brush starts heading towards 3,000px + but it doesn't freeze. If I change my Preferences > Performance settings to WARP it's a lot worse, but you said you're using your 2070 card... This isn't the first post I've seen about slow brush resizing though. I will keep poking. 

well I have the same experience with the brushes, some one freeze everything,  other working normal. with mouse and pen.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm only seeing a performance hit if my brush starts heading towards 3,000px + but it doesn't freeze. If I change my Preferences > Performance settings to WARP it's a lot worse, but you said you're using your 2070 card... This isn't the first post I've seen about slow brush resizing though. I will keep poking. 

The freeze we're talking about isn't really about the brushes being slow. The program can freeze at any random brush size, so it happens even at the lowest brush sizes possible. The program just simply stops responding altogether in the middle of using the shortcut and you have to go into the Task Manager to close the program there since you can't close it down any other way. I can try to record the freeze in action some day, but because of how random it is it is hard to make Affinity freeze on command.

18 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

The freeze we're talking about isn't really about the brushes being slow. The program can freeze at any random brush size, so it happens even at the lowest brush sizes possible. The program just simply stops responding altogether in the middle of using the shortcut and you have to go into the Task Manager to close the program there since you can't close it down any other way. I can try to record the freeze in action some day, but because of how random it is it is hard to make Affinity freeze on command.

I've noticed if I just open a document and resize it usually freezes but then a few seconds later I will regains control. If I have had a document open for quite awhile working on it then try to resize the program just hardlocks completely and I have to close it with task manager too.

Again, this issue never occurred for me in 1.7.3 and I have always had my performance set to GPU using my Nvidia 2070 Super so pretty sure the issue is from something in 1.8 changed. I've just been fighting through it by saving my documents very often so I don't have to do any work again if the erase brush resize crashes the program.

I have could make   a video after I was playing in designer, after using a brush from Frankentoon Icould with mouse or pen not rotating all the items nor moving and so on only delete  the picture.

-  64 bits. 

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• Staff

Since I last commented on this, I have had a few instances where I've had a pause that lasts a few seconds when brushing/resizing etc. but I can't get a recipe. 

I've also seen the behaviour where objects cannot be moved/resized as seen in the video from studio97 but I haven't been able to reproduce this. I would encourage you to install the beta alongside the retail version and monitor the improvements Mark and his team are making.

I am actively trying to get a recipe for both issues—though they are unrelated.

25 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Since I last commented on this, I have had a few instances where I've had a pause that lasts a few seconds when brushing/resizing etc. but I can't get a recipe. 

I've also seen the behaviour where objects cannot be moved/resized as seen in the video from studio97 but I haven't been able to reproduce this. I would encourage you to install the beta alongside the retail version and monitor the improvements Mark and his team are making.

I have made a video and use the leatest Photo Beta with a PS brush at 1159 px  you see the same behaviar as in 1.8.0 yes I can move the brush but its waiting for something I can' t  declare
oke the video let no seen the mouse it self.

-  64 bits. 

• Staff
21 hours ago, studio97 said:

I have made a video and use the leatest Photo Beta with a PS brush at 1159 px  you see the same behaviar as in 1.8.0 yes I can move the brush but its waiting for something I can' t  declare
oke the video let no seen the mouse it self.

brush behaviar.wmv 249.88 kB · 2 downloads

That is seriously slow/laggy—are you sure you aren't using WARP? Any chance you can attach the brush pack so I can test it?

Just now, Chris B said:

That is seriously slow/laggy—are you sure you aren't using WARP? Any chance you can attach the brush pack so I can test it?

I use the GPU Nvidia. I have one of the packs uploaed by this

92_Bokeh-Brushes_Ar-Design-Resources.rar

-  64 bits. 

Just now, Chris B said:

Tested with a 4096 px brush on a 10,000 px x 10,000 px document @300dpi and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as in your video. 

No idea why This happened to my, maby time for a pc update..... I use DDR3 system.  ;) but thats a future wish.

-  64 bits. 

On 3/3/2020 at 7:29 AM, Chris B said:

Thank you for continuing to investigate the issue. The brush resizing issue has definitely been plaguing my work on 1.8. I have lost count how any times Affinity has froze on me where I had to restart the program to regain control. At least I now know my freezing issue is not an isolated incident and others are able to see it at least. I'll have to try the beta version when I get time and see if there are any improvements.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

Thank you for continuing to investigate the issue. The brush resizing issue has definitely been plaguing my work on 1.8. I have lost count how any times Affinity has froze on me where I had to restart the program to regain control. At least I now know my freezing issue is not an isolated incident and others are able to see it at least. I'll have to try the beta version when I get time and see if there are any improvements.

I have try the beta, but see not any change now.  Maby its my system, I have no idea so far.

-  64 bits. 

3 hours ago, studio97 said:

I have try the beta, but see not any change now.  Maby its my system, I have no idea so far.

They haven't updated the Beta yet that addresses any of the Windows Ink bugs or the freezes when using the mouse. A dev mentioned one bug possibly being fixed in the next Beta build, but we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully they fix these issues super soon, since it's hard enjoying 1.8 with them.

19 hours ago, studio97 said:

No idea why This happened to my, maby time for a pc update..... I use DDR3 system.  ;) but thats a future wish.

I have test it yesterday with a 10.000 x 10.000px document at 300 dpi with a 2500 px brush... hmmmm really better... no not really, slow loading and to long before you could this change.
This you can find also to the Frankentoon stamp brushes. All other small brushes are working. So I hope the develops find out this.

Thanks

-  64 bits. 

That's is happenning to me with every brush I use... no matter use Nvidia or Warp... and no matter the size... I can hear the wind coolers of the nvidia speed up insane everytime i pick some brushes... It is impossible to work like that... I've used the latest beta and is the same.

16 minutes ago, Juanjo Haro said:

That's is happenning to me with every brush I use... no matter use Nvidia or Warp... and no matter the size... I can hear the wind coolers of the nvidia speed up insane everytime i pick some brushes... It is impossible to work like that... I've used the latest beta and is the same.

Also the problem that after export a picture (jpg,Tif) the programm freeze  only ctrl-alt delete can close affinity. I think i will go back to 1.7.3

-  64 bits. 

I have 5 minutes deleted the compleet software from Photo, restarted my desktop and installed a fresh copy of 1.8.0.585.
Test a document on format 1950 x 1080 px with several 2500 > px brushes they are working and can change brush format. 
Hope this will be work for longer time. :)

oke this was to much for me, after two edits the whole programms blocks everything. had to end by taskmaneger. $$@$@
This is not working for me at all

-  64 bits. 

• 4 months later...

Same problem here. I only get the issue on the Apple Store version. A Photo trial version on a slow laptop does not seem to run into this problem. Are the other users on this thread using the Apple Store version?

Also..... brushes work, it is just that the outline freezes over the canvas when it is larger (painting continues as normal):

Video@ https://vimeo.com/436731801

Edited by martveeb