You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8 crashes upon opening in Windows 10/Lenovo PC

Updated to 1.8, flash screen displays then workspace then disappears; restarted, same effect; ran update again to repair, same effect. Event viewer shows the following:

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Kernel.FontCache.GetFontTraitsName(Kernel.StringT<enum Kernel::TEncUtf8>*, Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFontStyle.get_DisplayName()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem+FamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFont)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem.BuildFontsList()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.CharacterDataSource..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.Studio.CharacterPage..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.PageService.EnsurePage(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.AttachPages(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace, Boolean)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.set_CurrentWorkspace(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.WindowService.ShowMainWindow()
   at Serif.Affinity.Application+<>c__DisplayClass53_0.<OnServicesInitialised>b__2()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action, System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

1. I tried that step, it did not work. I even restarted my computer to see if that would make a difference and the fix still did not work.
  2. Parenthetically, the file was not exactly located where you indicated. I found that here:
  3. AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo.
  4.  Since affinity apparently loads all resident fonts, and I have hundreds of them, why don't we work backward and find out what change was made in 1.8 that was in any way connected to fonts and change that feature back to the way it was in 1.7

• Staff
1 minute ago, Venice27 said:
  1. I tried that step, it did not work. I even restarted my computer to see if that would make a difference and the fix still did not work.
  2. Parenthetically, the file was not exactly located where you indicated. I found that here:
  3. AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo.
  4.  Since affinity apparently loads all resident fonts, and I have hundreds of them, why don't we work backward and find out what change was made in 1.8 that was in any way connected to fonts and change that feature back to the way it was in 1.7

I agree - I'm waiting for the developers to get back to me about changes they possibly made in 1.8. When I get a response, I will reply back ASAP. I'm sorry that you're having this issue - I can only suggest that you go back to 1.7.3 if you need to use the app in the meantime. 

RE: 1.8 crashes - temporary fix

I won't bore you with the details as to how I arrived at this partial/temporary resolution of the issue.

By going to AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings  and changing the file called Fonts.xml to Fonts. xml.backup before running the program, I was able to open the program. All the functionality appears to be present except that using the Artistic Text Tool feature does not function properly. If I select a particular font, the program selects something completely different, although the listing of my fonts appears to be complete. I tried this multiple times with the same result.

The reason why I have called this a "temporary fix" is because it does not resolve the issue, not even partially, since restarting results in the same crash. The program automatically created a new Fonts.xml file which apparently is the file that is causing the failure of the program to open. Of course, before opening the program again and deleting the Fonts.xml file but leaving the previous Fonts.xml.backup file in place, you can again open the program.

Perhaps users with fewer fonts may have more success in using the Artistic Text Tool feature, but, in any event, the developers need to address the "crash" issue.

• Staff

@Venice27 I've replied to you in another thread but I wanted to make sure you received a reply here too. So that we can look into this issue further is it possible to send us a copy of your font folders using the below link. If you could give the .zip file your forum username that would be helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/22VuKc58vOkWTtSzNDgW 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Just wanted to let you know that we have released a new beta build for both Affinity Photo and Designer on Windows that will hopefully improve/fix our apps from crashing on startup when loading fonts. Can you download and install to see if the app(s) starts without any issues?

• Staff
I just wanted to let everyone know that we have released the new update, 1.8.2, that fixes the issue users were having where the app wouldn't get past the loading screen because of fonts. If you purchased the app from the Affinity Store you can download the update from:

If you purchased the app from the Microsoft Store the update will be available to download from the updates section.