You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cryptomatte support

Please do real Psyop Cryptomatte support which will allow create selection on blurred renders (z-depth blur alias DOF blur and motion blur) and with preserving transparency.

Complex selections are made automatically by picking ObjectID area selection, materialID area selection and by choosing name of IDs. Exporting from 3d software is easy because it may export everything on 3d scene without manually assigning mattes (what is time consuming).

Please do Cryptomatte support in Affinity Photo (or allow to use free Photoshop Plugin https://www.exr-io.com/).

https://www.psyop.com/news/cryptomatte

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, bentraje said:

Interesting! I also came from C4D but I'm slowly using Blender more and more to my workflow. 

Yeah, after they decided to go to subscription I said that I will not support that kind of business model.

And honestly so many architectural plugins are now abandonware, so I didn't have any reason for continuing with it.

13 minutes ago, bentraje said:

Cyles4D also support cryptomatte.

Although I know about Cycles4D, didn't know that it supports cryptomatte. 

TBH, I wouldn't mind having the subscription IF they maintained the same perpetual model. 
But they didn't. They stripped away the MSA and the Cineversity (you can only avail if you are in subscription) mode. 

Anyhow, for mograph work, I still use C4D, then try to use Blender, gradually. 

I got my Blender start with Cycles4D when I searched for some rendering/texturing tutorials. 

BTW, there's a C4D users thread in blenderartists.org
It's helpful every when you have "this is how I do it C4D, how do i it in Blender?" problem :)

I think for the Serif developers its additionally helpful to give them direct links to how the files need to be read/written :)
Since it is widely adopted, it would be neat to see it in Affinity Photo and it would align with the efforts of adding more support for game art users.

@Andy Somerfield
Access to the specifications and official sample data of cryptomatte;
https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte
https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte/tree/master/specification
https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte/tree/master/sample_images

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Like you I decided to keep my perpetual R21. I had Prime since version 9 and upgraded every time, but now I couldn't justify the price step from Prime to the whole package since I don't have use for mograph and those.

I have been following that thread as I think any other C4D that jumped the ship since the subscription model was announced.

I think Serif team is aware of that since they have even a video on youtube about selecting objects with the cryptomatte pass, but it relies on the magic wand and not a true cryptomatte support.

• 2 weeks later...

this would indeed be insanely useful, either as a native affinity feature or by supporting the existing exr-io plugin for PS. I'm currently jumping between various programs an this is actually the last thing keeping me from comping all my still images in affinity...

has anyone from serif ever commented on this? Is it being taken into consideration or maybe even on a roadmap for future releases?

+1 from a blender user.

Here's a simple example rendered multilayer openexr file as attachment.

As you can see in blender's compositor, the cryptomatte node offers :①a image output ②a matte output ③a pick output which can be used to display areas to be add or remove ④a picker to add area ⑤ a picker to remove area. 

image.png

1.exr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was re-evaluating Affinity Photo as a possible candidate for our production pipeline. Affinity Photo pretty much has all the tools we need for our work except one — full cryptomatte support. I was hoping it would have it by now but unfortunately it's still not implemented. Will have to stick to old workflow. Too bad. We really like Affinity Photo and would love to use it on a regular basis.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:08 AM, kirk23 said:

Also please  make an option to open Z depth normalized ( as an option)    and turning negative part of a   range into 0-1 .   

This option is pretty important too.

• 3 months later...