You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

develop settings not preserved 1.8.1

Hi All,

If I open an image - a RAW file

set saturation to -100% so that the image is B+W

click the 'Develop' button and the image opens in the Photo persona

and then click the Develop persona (no edits in the Photo persona, no saves at any point)

• the saturation slider is set to 0%
  • the image is B+W
  • increasing the saturation to the max allowed by the slider 50% does not change the saturation of the image

I expected to be able to adjust the original Develop settings.  Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Affinity 1.8.1

macOS 10.14.16

Edited by rimu.miro
clarification

3 minutes ago, rimu.miro said:

Hi All,

If I open an image, set saturation to -100% so that the image is B+W, develop and go to Photo, and then return to Develop

• the saturation slider is set to 0%
  • the image is B+W
  • increasing the saturation to the max allowed by the slider 50% does not change the saturation of the image

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Affinity 1.8.1

macOS 10.14.16

"If I open an image" Is that a RAW file? If it is then what follows is normal. If it is a jpeg/tiff/afphoto/psd etc then what do you mean by 'develop'.

What you are missing is that you are making an .afphoto file that is essentially a B&W image by removing all saturation from the RGB image in the Develop persona. You would have to open the RAW file again in order to see it in colour.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

44 minutes ago, rimu.miro said:

I expected to be able to adjust the original Develop settings.  Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Your expectations do not match reality, I'm afraid. Once a RAW file is Developed in Photo, you cannot get back to the original RAW file except by opening it again, and redoing the Development from scratch.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The program allows me to click the Develop Persona after the sequence I just described. What changes can be made in the Develop Persona?

So because the image is now B+W changing the saturation has no effect.

If, instead of adjusting the saturation, I adjust the exposure, say +2, and then follow the same sequence, when I get back to the Develop Persona, the exposure slider is set to 0% and moving it to -2 does not restore the image.

I'm guessing people are going to tell me that is the expected behaviour?

If so, why would you want to be able to go back to the Develop persona with an image that you have already developed in Affinity?

Edited by rimu.miro
clarification

15 minutes ago, rimu.miro said:

The program allows me to click the Develop Persona after the sequence I just described. What changes can be made in the Develop Persona?

So because the image is now B+W changing the saturation has no effect.

If, instead of adjusting the saturation, I adjust the exposure, say +2, and then follow the same sequence, when I get back to the Develop Persona, the exposure slider is set to 0% and moving it to -2 does not restore the image.

I'm guessing people are going to tell me that is the expected behaviour?

If so, why would you want to be able to go back to the Develop persona with an image that you have already developed in Affinity?

Yes, those are expected behaviors.

You can do things in the Develop Persona when you reenter it after having completed Development, but you are working with your Developed image, and cannot go backwards.

For example, going back into the Develop Persona with your B/W image, you could still do shadow or highlight adjustments. Of course, you could also do those in the Photo Persona, but some of the functions and tools work differently between the two Personas, and you may prefer the way it works in Develop, for some purposes, even after basic Development has been done.

But if it doesn't make sense to you, or for your workflow, just don't do it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1