You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cryptomatte support (exr-io plugin) in Affinity Photo 1.8

I`ve read that feature:

Big plugin support improvements
Experience the power of a range of plugins in Affinity Photo, including support for Nik Collection 2.5 by DxO.

and I almost cried like baby.

I`m a 3d designer and I use Photoshop only for Cryptomatte support (Vray, Cycles, Redshift, Octane, Mantra and many other renderers are producing it). It`s a huge time saver for 3d artist. 

EXR-IO it`s best tool for handling cryptomatte support inside photoshop. It`s also free.

You may look here to understand what it is if you don`t know it: 

It`s not EXR mattes. It`s matte for every object, every material and every part of item you like with alpha information combined together. It even handles selection from DOF blurred images, motion blurred images and under items with transparency. It`s much faster than pure mattes. It generates almost with few clicks without assigning every part of scene to individual matte. It`s automatic solution if you don`t know what you will need before working on image during post. It`s wonderfull tool and Affinity Photo needs that IMHO. I dream about delete Photoshop from my comp.

I`ve tried to install Photoshop Plugin EXR-IO (it`s free) in newest Affinity Photo 1.8.0

It`s possible to download it from this site: https://www.exr-io.com/

I`ve tried 32bit and 64bit version without success.

Why this doesn`t work in Affinity? What about other 16bit/32bit plugins? What that new feature in 1.8.0 really means? (is it handling only NIK plugin??)

Please help me. How to make cryptomatte support happen on Affinity Photo.

I think it would be ground shaking news for all 3d artists.

Cheers!!!

I’m not at my Mac at the mo but if this doesn’t install to photoshop filters menu it’s likely more of an extension than a plugin, so it adds a feature to the photoshop GUI. Unfortunately if it does this it will not work in affinity.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

There is a list of PS plugin types at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop_plugin. Affinity Photo only supports Filter (.8bf) plugins, which apply changes to images. As the Wikipedia Host applications section mentions, like most other non-Adobe hosts AP does not even support all of them.

I am just guessing but I think the "big" plugin support improvements are limited to better support for more .8bf filter plugins than in 1.7.3. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

FWIW, from https://affinityspotlight.com/article/5-things-you-should-know-about-affinity-photo-18/:

Another feature new to Affinity Photo 1.8 is one a lot of you have asked for—improved plugin support, especially for the new Nik collection, where you can now work with wide colour spaces and enjoy full functionality with 16-bit precision documents.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 months later...

This would be soo cool, if Affinity Photo would support Cryptomatte. I think for that to happen, Affinity would somehow have to work together with the guys who developed the EXR-IO Plugin.
By the way: Why does Affnity not have tutorials on how to develop add-ons /Plug-ins specific for the Affinity Apps? They could make a profit from that + they don't have to develop all those Add-ons/Plug-ins themselves. 🤔

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...