You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to put the text on the ellipse shape (how to make the text curved)

Hello,

So I have a question. When I make the ellipse and then select the 'Artistic Text Tool' and try to put the text on the edge of the ellipse I can't. I can't seem to find a tutorial for Affinity Photo (maybe it can't be done here, I don't know) because everything is for Affinity Designer. I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Affinity Photo does not have that function exposed in the User Interface (UI). The UI for creating text on a path is only in Designer and Publisher.

You may find some .afdesign files in the forums that you can open in Photo that will give you a curve object setup for text on a path, and you can then copy that object into a Photo document.

Or you can use Mud's Macros v. 3 to create an Ellipse converted to a path-text object.

Or I provided a macro earlier today that will turn any path or curve into a path-text object, here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To create path text:

1. Select a previously drawn line, curve or shape.
  2. From the Tools panel, select the Artistic Text Tool.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • For text running outside a shape or above a line: Click the cursor outside (or above) the object's outline. The cursor will change to indicate path text will be created.
    • For text running inside a shape or below a line (right to left): Click the cursor inside (or below) the object's outline.
  4. Click or drag on the page for a default or custom 'sized' text size, respectively. The line, curve or shape is converted to a path ready for accommodating text.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • Type your text.
    • Paste previously copied text.
    • From the File menu, select Place. In the pop-up dialog, navigate to and select a file, and click Open.

Alternatively, select a previously drawn line, curve or shape and then, from the Layer menu, select Convert to Text Path.

To modify the flow of path text:

With the path text selected, do one of the following:

• Drag one or more path text handles.
  • On the context toolbar, set Baseline to adjust distance of text baseline from path.
  • On the context toolbar, click Reverse Text Path.

1 minute ago, mpowell said:

To create path text:

The OP is using Photo, which can't create Path Text except by using one of the methods mentioned earlier in this thread.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh, Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

• One way around is first create the text on a curve in Affinity Designer, left-click on it to select it, then right-click on it to get a context menu, the choose copy.
  • Then open up Affinity Photo, choose a new file. Then right-click on the canvas "Or work area" to get a context menu, then choose paste.