You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.8 Freezes! (And not recognized as an APPCRASH by Windows 10)

Hi Serif team,

Just to report that Affinity Designer 1.8 freezes when there are loaded several Affinity Designer files or the only opened file has a big size. Usually when I make zoom to an object and apply color or any other appearance. 

Once it's freezed I can't select anything from the software and I can't close the software from the close button, but I can do it pressing right click on the bottom bar icon and then clicking "Close Windows". Windows 10 do not report this as a "problem" even in the Security and Maintenance section it doesn't appears as an "APPCRASH".

HP Z2 Mini G4. Intel Core i7 8th Gen. 16 Gb RAM. NVidia Quadro P1000 4Gb

Cheers,

Jorge.

Could you provide a steps to reproduce if possible, please? 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Allright I got the freeze now too using the appearance panel (and a few artboards) but I find it hard to reproduce.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Initially I thought it was just me experiencing the crashing and freezing issues, as my Affinity Designer (1.7) used to also freeze constantly. I was hopeful that the update (AD 1.8) would improve it but it got much worse. Now it's practically unusable because practically every single operation even the simplest move causes it to freeze and it's just so frustrating. I'm also using Windows 10, 1Tb HDD, 12G RAM, Intel Core i5

I ran a compatibility test and I don't understand why it showed compatibility from windows 8 and older but didn't show Windows 10. Simply frustrating when you've purchased a software that's not working efficiently or not designed to be compatible with the latest version of Windows?! This seems to be the case as there are several complaints about this issue from users who upgraded to Windows 10 - I would like to know what Serif plans to do about this though?

11 minutes ago, pyxelles said:

Initially I thought it was just me experiencing the crashing and freezing issues, as my Affinity Designer (1.7) used to also freeze constantly. I was hopeful that the update (AD 1.8) would improve it but it got much worse. Now it's practically unusable because practically every single operation even the simplest move causes it to freeze and it's just so frustrating. I'm also using Windows 10, 1Tb HDD, 12G RAM, Intel Core i5

I ran a compatibility test and I don't understand why it showed compatibility from windows 8 and older but didn't show Windows 10. Simply frustrating when you've purchased a software that's not working efficiently or not designed to be compatible with the latest version of Windows?! This seems to be the case as there are several complaints about this issue from users who upgraded to Windows 10 - I would like to know what Serif plans to do about this though?

Could be graphics card driver issue? A classic. Doesn't have to effect other apps or games. 

I am running Designer on Windows 10 Professional and except for this particular bug - and a few others - generally Designer is rock solid on my Windows 10 machines. Always was.

I am just not sure compatibility with Windows 10 is the root cause of your problems.