You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I downloaded the recent version of the program from my accounts page, and installed it on my Windows 10 operating system. The program tries to open, but when it gets to the main UI screen it fails and drops out to desktop. How can I fix this?

I tried uninstalling the software, restarting the machine and installing as admin. This had no effect, the program still crashes the moment it first appears on screen. Straight to desktop, no message, no program. Affinity support team, how do I approach fixing this?

Edited by DedWait
added information

Same problem here. Both with AD and A Photo. APublisher is running fine. By the way, I´m in Windows 10.

I had the same issue with the previous version, in both apps. But I was able to solve it by going to Troubleshoot Compatibility and trying Recommended Settings, test opening the app and saving those settings. This worked perfectly for both apps.  However, this time -after updating to 1.8.0- this same workaround did not worked out. In the case of APublisher I had to go through the process described above, because at the beginning it did not start either. But it did in the end.

I´ve tried everything I could think of without any success and I'm drowning in pending work.

Any suggestion you can provide??

• Staff

Hi everyone in this thread, sorry for the trouble you are having.

If you can try the following and let me know the results:

With Affinity closed

Hold down the Windows key and tap the letter R.  This will bring up the run box.  In here type:
%appdata%

Click okay

A Windows explorer window will open showing you some folders.  Open the folder called Affinity, followed by Photo/Designer/Publisher  You should now see a folder called 1.0 . Please right click on this and rename it Old Settings.  

Now start up Affinity and try opening a Photo/Designer/Publisher and let me know the results.  

Hello. 

Thanks  for the help. I tried these steps, but I'm afraid I am still getting the same behavior. The only difference was that this time it brought up a dialog asking for my acceptance to the terms and conditions, then once i clicked OK it goes to the blank UI (the shell with no info in it,,,like its still loading) and then direct crash to desktop.

Hi

I'm having the same problem, Renamed the folders but am getting the licence agreement screens, apps then start to load but crash out to desktop before loading any panels. Strange thing is that I can occasionally load Publisher (say 10% of the time) but it appears random.

Crash reports attached.

Thanks

Mike

83770440-abb4-4793-a958-ca1205c9ccfc.dmp bf533d24-cace-4284-93b9-1a8f223b4ad3.dmp 98202ae6-9aab-485a-9758-e6cf0e539b15.dmp

That seems to have fixed the loading problem for me (Publisher) but now the fonts get substituted randomly. e.g. I apply Bodoni from the Font selector but it actually applies Incised901. I select Garamond but it sets the selected text to Opus Chords Sans Condensed. In fact, all the fonts and styles are so messed up that the program is not usable.

• Staff

Hi Everyone in this thread:

We’ve had several reports from users that after updating to 1.8 on Windows their app is no longer opening, We believe it may be related to fonts and our developers are currently investigating. When we have an update we’ll let you know. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. If you’re using the Affinity Store version, you can go back to 1.7.3 if you need to use the app in the meantime. 

https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/publisher/1/

I've tried as suggested, but without any success.

I too was thinking this could be related to the fonts, since the start up window  says "loading fonts..." and immediately after that the black windows opens and closes all of a sudden.

I too use a font manager, but I checked the Control Panel/Fonts and it says I have 396 items.

LAST MINUTE COMMENT...

I went back to the previous version of all 3 apps and they are running fine now. However, APublisher was showing the same behavior as the other 2 had in the last version. Only after running Troubleshoot Compatibility it stopped crashing. 

Edited by Irupe
Update after reinstalling apps.

I seemed to have solved this issue for me.

Problem was Suitcase Fusion 7 (old unsupported version). I noticed that it would activate fonts and then de-activate them after a second or so, after a search I found an article form Extensis that that was titled something along the lines of 'Suitcase no longer activates fonts after upgrade to Windows 10'. Whilst the article itself was no longer on thier server, I went ahead and uninstalled Sutcase and now all 3 programs open, font previews are good, font selection is correct, so essentially no problems. I guess I'll need to upgrade to a current version of Suicase (assuming that works correctly with Affinity apps - can anybody confirm?). I'll also need to do this to my desktop PC as it was exibiting the exact same problems.

Mike

• Staff

@Mike Sargent

That's really helpful. Let's see if that is the cause of this for others too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 hours ago, DedWait said:

Have there been any solutions with this? My program is currently unusable.

Sorry, but we have not got a solution to this which is affecting a number of users, but we have not replicated it. Perhaps it is a utility that the small percentage of affected customers are running, but we are still investigating this as a matter of high priority.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

My Son and I both have licensed Affinity Photo and Designer on our respective MacBook Pros. My Son has just upgraded to Affinity Photo v1.8, but this appears to co-exist will the old version, rather than updating it, so there are now two different installations of Affinity Photo. Also when I try to start the new version 1.8, I receive a message that this program is already open. How is this resolved please as I don't want to have the same user experience when I upgrade?

Also the 'default' program when loading a photographic image is now Affinity Designer, rather than Affinity Photo. How do I change this default please?

On 2/28/2020 at 4:27 AM, stokerg said:

Hi everyone in this thread, sorry for the trouble you are having.

If you can try the following and let me know the results:

With Affinity closed

Hold down the Windows key and tap the letter R.  This will bring up the run box.  In here type:
%appdata%

Click okay

A Windows explorer window will open showing you some folders.  Open the folder called Affinity, followed by Photo/Designer/Publisher  You should now see a folder called 1.0 . Please right click on this and rename it Old Settings.  

Now start up Affinity and try opening a Photo/Designer/Publisher and let me know the results.  

I tried this after a client file I've been working on crashed and will not reopen. The same file won't open, but for those who attempt this, please know that all of your settings - to include custom palettes and assets - will be lost. I changed my memory settings and was able to open my file. This step didn't exactly solve it for me...but I just wanted other users to know and to ask if there is a way to restore those palettes, assets, and other settings?

Edited by katrinaDLT
left out additional content

Hi

I have tried: 

%appdata%

Click okay.
I get a list of folders but not an Affinity folder. The Affinity folder is c:/programs, and I do not have a folder called 1.0.
I've deleted the program using IObit Uninstaller. Reloaded 1.8 & it still crashes on opening. Even though the program has meant to have been completely deleted, When I loaded 1.8 it did not ask for a key or e-mail.
I tried loading 1.8 straight on my old win 10 PC. It asked for my key & e-mail & opens OK. I've reverted to 1.73 on my new win 10 pc, having removed the 1.8 yet again & 1.73 is working fine.
I assume I have to wait for 1.8.1 before trying again.