You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Exports are now absolutely HUGE!

Zerocrop

I just updated to Affinity Publisher 1.8.1 on MacOS today, and loving the new features so far.

However I had to update a couple of words in a afpub document I had created about a week ago and re-export it as a PDF for print. The PDF was 5.8MB, while the PDF created by AP 1.7 a week ago was only 1.4MB. 

I tested a few other files and got similar results. Is there a new setting that I now need to adjust in AP 1.8.1 or is this a bug?

@Zerocrop I'm guessing you are running Mac's Catalina OS (10.15).

In another thread, we have anecdotal confirmation that Publisher's PDF exports on Catalina do not have selectable text, but users of previous MacOS versions aren't having this issue. Without the text coded as text on export, but as images, it seems this leads to the much larger file sizes. Here's my thread trying to sort this out:

I'm really hoping Serif will fix this problem quickly. It's an odd oversight that this would be an issue on the current/latest MacOS, but not earlier versions. Usually it's the older versions that lose support!

• Staff

After some investigation it seems to be related to the Mac App Store version of the software, which is why some people are experiencing this and others are not - we have this logged with us now and are still looking into it

Edit: Should clarify I am referring to the exported pdf text not being selectable, if that's the cause of this issue

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff

In which case can you upload the afpub file here and let me know what export settings you are using (a screenshot of the More.. dialog will be useful) and I'll take a look.

It's worth noting we've altered some export presets so can you click "More..." and double check you are using the same export settings.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 3/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jon P said:

It's worth noting we've altered some export presets so can you click "More..." and double check you are using the same export settings.

Ah, Yes you have. I checked my other Mac which still has AP 1.7.3 on it and in the PDF for Print export settings the 'Allow JPEG Compression' setting is set to 85% by default, whereas in 1.8.1 it is now set to 98% by default. All other settings are the same. I assume this is the reason for the large file sizes.

I wonder what the reasons were for this change. The print jobs I had done using the old default settings were great, and the PDFs were not too huge. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe this will hopefully be fixed in the next Mac APP Store releases, which we hope to be released this week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

MAS == Mac App Store. Sorry

1.8.2 updates are now live

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon