You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Metadata not in Affinity Designer?

Hi there,

since Affinity 1.8 it is possible to edit the metadata in Affinity Photo. Exactly this feature I had mentioned a long time ago. I wonder why the metadata panel is not included in Affinity Designer 1.8.
Is there anything you can do?

I ask again because I am not a friend of work-arounds.

Or do I need to buy Affinity Publisher? (makes no sense to me, because I only need this feature)

My old thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101472-set-pdf-document-properties/&tab=comments#comment-544049

best regards! :)

The Metadata panel is for the information associated with an image file, I believe, and Photo is the application primarily intended for working with image documents. As you would not usually open an image file in Designer, I think Serif probably didn't think it worthwhile to include the Metadata panel there.

PDF properties would be handled differently from Metadata, I think. And yes, if you're intrested in setting title and author for exported PDF files then at this point Publisher is the application you'd need to use, as it supports those via the Fields panel. Possibly Serif will consider adding the Fields panel to Designer someday.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your quick answere, sir!

If i exported a PDF document in Photo the metadata is exported as well. So why not in Designer as well?
Exact this function is what i am missing and asking since 2018.

Additionally it would be great if Designer can export PNG, JPEG etc. with metadata. So i am not used to take the picture and edit the metadata after each export.

I would be happy if Serif take that panel inside Designer :)

best regards!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this.

I'm in the process of transforming my Illustrator CS projects to Designer. Only to realize that all of my painstakingly maintained Illustrator metadata just vanished. This omission just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 hours ago, loukash said:

painstakingly maintained Illustrator metadata

If you are importing Illustrator files into Designer, then it is possible that even if the metadata panel were made available it would not contain any useful information.  Illustrator documents contain an embedded PDF stream which is what is actually imported by the Affinity products, so unless the metadata is included in the PDF stream (I don't have any here to try to check) then it would be invisible to Designer anyway (or to Photo or Publisher for that matter).

I do note that the author at least does sync between the Metadata panel in Photo and the Fields panel in Publisher...

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

even if the metadata panel were made available it would not contain any useful information

Um, what?

Pardon my sarcasm, but even if I save my *.ai without PDF preview and if I then open it with the puny Preview.app, I still get some "useful information" from it like Title, Author, Subject and Content Creator in the Preview.app's Info window. So there's no reason why Designer couldn't at least partially read and display the existing metadata, and then make it fully editable as XMP/IPTC in its own file format.

Anyway.

Workaround:

Since I'm currently migrating my DAM from iView/Expression Media catalogs to NeoFinder, I figured out that I can at least use exported XMP files from my Adobe documents as sidecars to *.afdesign in NeoFinder which can then edit and update them. NeoFinder doesn't read all obscure XMP fields that there are either, but all standard fields are there.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, loukash said:

even if I save my *.ai without PDF preview and if I then open it with the puny Preview.app, I still get some "useful information" from it like Title, Author, Subject and Content Creator in the Preview.app's Info window

Do you also see the image?  If so, my guess would be that it is pulling from Quick Look, and if that is the case that probably wouldn't happen on a computer that didn't have AI installed on it.

I don't have Illustrator installed anywhere I can readily get at it to check (and if I did it would be an older version).

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Do you also see the image?

If you save an Illustrator document with a PDF preview, then the Preview.app will of course read it. So does QuickLook. And so does Affinity.
AI CS5 and earlier doesn't provide any built in QuickLook method out of the box.

In fact, back in the day I bought the now abandoned 3rd party QuickLook plugin ADOView to preview ID and AI documents in Finder.

If you save an AI document without PDF preview, all you see is this "default info" (or in another language, depending on your AI version) why you don't see any image and how to fix it. Nonetheless, the metadata are still avaliable:

ai_no_pdf_preview.png.cfb518e903f2428af47e8900cddca3d6.png

It's the usual IPTC fields, and any application – like GraphicConverter – that can handle this, can display everything I put in there (and more):

ai_iptc_metadata.png.00388840e366e4d257800c7c12fbb16c.png

That's what I'd also expect from an application that advertises as "Professional output for print, screen or collaboration".

• 7 months later...

Why Does Affinity Designer need metadata? 

The reason is simple — because many illustrators create images using vector graphics. Using metadata does help protect our work and can give anyone information on who designed or illustrated an image. So, you see, images aren't created solely in pixels. Metadata is essential to professionals. I didn't realize that Affinity Designer did not offer that. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, Kimberley said:

The reason is simple — because many illustrators create images using vector graphics. Using metadata does help protect our work and can give anyone information on who designed or illustrated an image. So, you see, images aren't created solely in pixels. Metadata is essential to professionals. I didn't realize that Affinity Designer did not offer that. 

Yup yup, I hope that they plan to add that to Affinity Designer...

Alright, on the positive side, you can actually add metadata to an .afdesign document pretty easily by switching to Photo or Publisher; the latter with only a limited subset though. Add any metadata you need, switch the document back to Designer. All metadata well be retained e.g. on PDF export.

If you have the whole Affinity suite, you can open the .afdesign in Publisher and simply use the StudioLink feature to switch seamlessly between the three apps, using their respective functions as you see fit, regardless the document file suffix.

So the main issue that I see here is that Affinity strips metadata from imported PDF files. That's a Bad Thing™.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, Kimberley said:

Yes, It's needed! Loukash's method works on PDF exports, but when I export JPGs, the metadata isn't added. Not even when I export the artboards from Photo. I have "Embed metadata" checked in the export settings.

• 6 months later...

I agree!  Metadata is extremely important.

I am not a Professional, per se. I'm a 'Baby Boomer' that's retired and recently found graphic design is a great hobby.  The few projects that I've completed and put out there are free, so I'm not not losing any $$$. However, it is frustrating to see others already grabbing my work and claiming it as their own. I understand that metadata can be stripped, but it is less likely to happen if there is an embedded ©Owner info.

• 8 months later...

bump. Aug 2023.. need metadata in EPS file from Designer.
Also, ticking and unticking metadata checkbox shouldn't make Designer rebuild the entire file.

THANK YOU!

20 years of technical 3d, tool dev, tech art experience.  There's more to that but I'm just trying to thwart the 101-filler-text people put in replies.  I love everyone.. I come across as grumpy but I have a big heart.