You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8 crashes when I try to open files

Trevor A

Hello Jon

At the request of pmwjournals I am moving this to a new thread.

Publisher is still crashing when I try to open existing files.  Did the crash reports provide helpful information?

I have tried opening other existing files, some of them quite small, and Publisher still crashes immediately.

(For photos I have CS6 to fall back on, so I downloaded and installed v 1.8 of Affinity Photo.  I have opened a couple of very large images in it and have had no problems at all, so that is good!)

Trevor

Jon
I downloaded the resaved file and clicked on the Windows notification to open it, which launched Publisher and opened the document, with all pages now being blank.

From within Publisher I then tried to open the resaved file (without closing the blank page version), which resulted in an immediate crash.

I relaunched Publisher and with no other file open tried to open the resaved file, which again resulted in an immediate crash.

Thank you for your assistance.  I have to go out shortly, but will be back later.

Trevor

e1bb67ba-bd73-4161-a1f1-d4138a0db689.dmp 32f66fb7-f2e0-4b45-9e52-c0e223b727c3.dmp 051177cd-0c6c-4d01-a0ac-12c9496d6dd7.dmp de8b5d3f-acb5-4e18-903a-5765210b8941.dmp

Yes I have the same problem, though I can get around it.
In my case it appears to be an issue with a modified linked resource? And so until it's updated in the resource manager and saved, the file will crash Publisher.
To open my file that keeps crashing Publisher, I just create a new blank document first. By doing this it appears to bypass crash issue so to allow the problematic file to open, to which pops open a dialogue box "Linked Resource Changed" Within the Resource Manager I click the 'Update' which sets the "modified" file to "OK" - I then save the file and all appears to be back to normal,  though obviously there is an issue.

2020-02-27-Publisher.jpg

Fantastic!  Your work-around does work on my file.  I had even forgotten that I had modified the linked resource (a minor colour adjustment on a small logo), and of course I couldn't see the error message as Publisher crashed immediately when I tried to open the file.  Creating the new blank document first does indeed enable the program to open the file.

Thank you for your help.

Jon, I hope that this feedback is helpful and that it will be possible to fix the bug soon to avoid this happening.

Trevor

I ran into this exact problem as well. This needs to be a high priority bug (as all crashes should be). I thought it was a problem with 1.8 not loading 1.73 documents, so I downgraded (by uninstalling, then installing 1.73 fresh). 1.73 told me to refresh the document resources (which I did). 1.73 wouldn't allow me to update or re-add the linked Designer document, so I updated to 1.8 again. After that, the document loaded properly in 1.8.

Hello,

I got this problem, and have tried both soultions as descibed with no success. I have tried to open different documents, and its the more complex ones that crash. As also the template to the more complex docutment crash, I needed to downgrade to produce this weekend. I may send this file to Serif to check whats the real problem

I am having this issue too. I too thought I would have to downgrade. Fortunately the suggested workaround for creating a new document first seems to have alleviated the issue. Though I agree this should be an extremely high priority to fix. I'm not sure if it's necessary to provide the file(s) that were crashing, because as far as I can tell it was all files doing it. Though I will gladly provide a document if I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

It depends on the exact cause of it, if the issue is the same as pmwjournals then that should be fixed in 1.8.2 which is now the latest release version. Are you having issues with the file still in that version?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Jon

Thank you for your reply.  I had version 1.8.0.584 and decided not to download the next beta version that was announced a week or two ago, so I had not run the program, concentrating instead on Affinity Photo.  So I didn't realise that there was now a new non-beta version.  I ran the program a few minutes ago, saw the message about the new version and have just downloaded and installed version 1.8.2.620, and the program now opens without any problems the files that previously led to Publisher crashing.

Many thanks!

I will now be able to get back to editing those files.

Trevor