You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Secure delete cache

I was not able to find where the cache files, etc., are stored on my Mac. This is important because I work on sensitive material from friends and family and would not want their personal images recoverable in the event of theft or repair of a hard drive.

Is there a way to securely clean up after an editing session?

• Staff

Hello marble51,

Our applications do not create disk cache / proxy files - the only time the application write copies of your files automatically is for autosave. These autosave files are automatically cleaned up.

So, if you close and reopen the app - and it does not prompt for "Recover autosave document" - then you can be confident than no caches / copies exist.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

It is the "automatically cleaned up" bit that concerns me. As you know, deleted files are just flagged as deleted but are still present of the disk. That's why OS X Finder has a Secure Erase option. However, with auto-deleted files it is impossible to securely erase the files. Any file recovery software would be able to restore the originals. 

By the way, how does the history function work without cache files?

• 6 years later...

Hi, I badly need help.
Was using Affinity Photo to resize a picture and disk free space went from 160Gb to 2GB!!

Since Photo stuck had to force quit it. Relaunched without recovering the previously opened file and then closed AP. This way the appllication cleaned up the disk space which is now back to 141Gb (on a 500GB disk).

So please tell us a way to select a different location than startup disk

Hi Marco,

150 GB disk usage sounds a bit excessive.

Can you share the size (pixel x and y ) and color format (RGB/8 etc) of the file before resize, and your target size?

Unfortunately the is no official way to change the location of Affinity (Program and Temp). A workaround is to use links for certain folders (specifically temp folder on Windows). But when Affinity uses 160 GB of system disk, i have my doubt if the operation will finish any time.

So i would try to reduce the file complexity if possible:

• export as png
  • create new file from png. Choose format wisely, e.g. RGB/8 or RGB/16.
  • resize to target size

Edit:

Try to clear user data cache

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.