You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crashes in XLSX Import

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/02/2020 at 14:12, Jon P said:

Olá, bem-vindo aos fóruns

Você pode fazer o upload do arquivo xlsx aqui , estamos cientes de um problema em que pode haver erros na importação que podem causar alguns efeitos, mas não travar, por isso, darei uma olhada.

I uploaded my xlsx file which is also having a problem

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

@jwehby@katerra & @Marcofernandess

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (XLSX file causes hang when placed) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.  

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, sachipotter said:

I am trying to place my xlsx file onto affinity publisher but error message is popping up saying "unsupported file" in my language (Japanese),  but xlsx file should work, shouldn't it?

any solution to that?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Yes, an XLSX file should work for File > Place.

How were you trying to Place it, and where were you trying to Place it? Can you provide a few more details about that?

Can you provide the XLSX file, or a subset of it that also fails when you try this?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks walt,

I created new file , New --> e.g. A4, landscape etc,.. then on the brand-new sheet I tried..

File --> Place  --> then I choose the file then I get an error with pop up "The file type is not supported".

trial1.xlsx

If I get a clue, would be great, thank you for your help.
Sachi

Edited by sachipotter
message posted accidently

10 hours ago, sachipotter said:

I created new file , New --> e.g. A4, landscape etc,.. then on the brand-new sheet I tried..

File --> Place  --> then I choose the file then I get an error with pop up "The file type is not supported".

Thanks, Sachi.

Your sample file fails in Publisher for me, too.

It opens successfully in LibreOffice Calc, however. I'm curious, what application created that XLSX file?

Perhaps @Jon P will be able to tell if your problem is related to the other problem(s) mentioned in this topic, or if it's something new that Development will need to work on. Or perhaps he will have a suggestion that will allow it to work.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It opens successfully in LibreOffice Calc, however. I'm curious, what application created that XLSX file?

I am not sure what application you are asking but I created xlsx file with my windows 10 PC,  and Excel version no was Microsoft excel 2016.

I've never heard of LibreOffice before, might try as an alternative  but I prefer Excel if possible.

Thank you for your help as I have no clue where to start, maybe I set a goal too high? (I am trying to make a to do spreadsheet then going to make a dated weekly planner)

1 hour ago, sachipotter said:

I am not sure what application you are asking but I created xlsx file with my windows 10 PC,  and Excel version no was Microsoft excel 2016.

That's what I wanted to know.

1 hour ago, sachipotter said:

I've never heard of LibreOffice before, might try as an alternative  but I prefer Excel if possible.

I'm not sure why the Excel version of the file isn't working with Publisher. LibreOffice is a free, Open Source, application that can be viewed in some ways as a replacement for Word, Excel, and related products. You can fnd it at https://libreoffice.org if you want to try it. From what Jon said it is possible that if you open your real file with LibreOffice Calc, and re-save it, it will work for you in Publisher. That would let you complete your project.

Otherwise, I think you'll have to wait for the Serif team to analyze your file, figure out why it doesn't work, code a fix, and release it. That could happen quickly (a few months) or it could take a long time, depending on the nature of the problem and the priority that Serif assigns to it.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That's what I wanted to know.

I'm not sure why the Excel version of the file isn't working with Publisher. LibreOffice is a free, Open Source, application that can be viewed in some ways as a replacement for Word, Excel, and related products. You can fnd it at https://libreoffice.org if you want to try it. From what Jon said it is possible that if you open your real file with LibreOffice Calc, and re-save it, it will work for you in Publisher. That would let you complete your project.

Otherwise, I think you'll have to wait for the Serif team to analyze your file, figure out why it doesn't work, code a fix, and release it. That could happen quickly (a few months) or it could take a long time, depending on the nature of the problem and the priority that Serif assigns to it.

Dear Walt,

Thank you for your advice, I downloaded LibreOffice Calc and yes it worked!
I noticed that I originally used preset style for the table but when I reopened the format was gone. 
Still I could work on it so I am happy. 

Thank you for your suggestion and appreciated your help.

You're welcome. I'm happy you got it working :)

-- Walt
PC: