You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have been following this topic for many years now. Serif came up with this incredible software that fulfill all the wishes I had for 12 years in adobe illustrator. But it will never replace Adobe illustrator for many reasons... The shape builder that is still missing, really push it back word. It is the only tool that I am not happy with and the reason why I still use illustrator for logo design

• 2 weeks later...

If Google translated this correctly: No, with Affinity Designer or Affinity Publisher you cannot make forms, but this is a much requested feature. 

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 months later...

At this point, especially since Adobe Illustrator for iPad has the ShapeBuilder tool, I would suggest just buying Illustrator for iPad.  Given the lack of response from Serif,  it’s apparent that they are not interested in creating a ShapeBuilder tool for Designer. Maybe they will surprise us, who knows?

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

I was also looking for the shape builder function in the app and confused when couldn't find it since I remember reading a tweet about this by Serif 4 years ago. (dudes, when you promise something please take a look at your Twitter, at least delete it ) However it seems like one of the marketing team promises that engineering team could never really cared/figured. 

To the people who defends the lack of the feature, it's just unbelievable. Shape builder does not just add shapes. It adds, divides, deletes, closed shapes or just intersecting lines without the need of excessive copies of the same shape. It's the most used command when building geometrical work. I just select the area, press alt+m, quickly clearing out the guidelines and create the geometry in just 15 seconds, done. 

While doing a professional job, time matters most. If a time saving feature like this is overlooked for years, then the software is just not well suited for professional work. 

I really really hate Adobe and I bought all of your apps the day they released for iPad. Moved out from Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop *almost*. I just want to ditch all of the Adobe software from my process but still there's a gap. 

Please give us a clear answer about when or if this feature and the image tracking is coming to affinity! 

Edit : Found the tweet: https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/918024995900665856?s=19

Edited by alanoctua
Tweet link

On 2/22/2021 at 1:41 AM, Phil K. said:

At this point, especially since Adobe Illustrator for iPad has the ShapeBuilder tool, I would suggest just buying Illustrator for iPad.  Given the lack of response from Serif,  it’s apparent that they are not interested in creating a ShapeBuilder tool for Designer. Maybe they will surprise us, who knows?

That would be an option except for two things:

• Illustrator for iPad is pretty junk.  Seriously, the drawing experience jarringly slow.  Strange because I had no problems with Adobe Fresco on the iPad.  It's not fully featured either, leaving a LOT to be desired.
  • Another monthly membership needed.  It' costs $10/month as a stand alone app (crazy rip off as it's not fully featured) might be worth it eventually.  Or if you have Illustrator on a creative cloud subscription, it's $20/month minimum.  

That said, I end up using a combination of Designer, Photoshop, Illustrator and Procreate and have to annoyingly bounce between the programs to be successful.  So I'm not saying don't use any program.  One day I hope to use only Affinity Designer only because Adobe creates half baked applications at exorbitant costs.  It's infuriating.

Before buy something you should consider about at least two factors: The Price & The Function.

if you just chase a "Shape Builder" and you have to pay much more, then it becomes useless.

Perhaps in there also want “The Studio Link” like Affinity have it...😉

I think Affinity Serif has thinked to add this feature with their own style (not the “The Shape Builder name) and take a time to implement it...perhaps in the next version...

12 hours ago, LOB said:

That would be an option except for two things:

• Illustrator for iPad is pretty junk.  Seriously, the drawing experience jarringly slow.  Strange because I had no problems with Adobe Fresco on the iPad.  It's not fully featured either, leaving a LOT to be desired.
  • Another monthly membership needed.  It' costs $10/month as a stand alone app (crazy rip off as it's not fully featured) might be worth it eventually.  Or if you have Illustrator on a creative cloud subscription, it's $20/month minimum.  

That said, I end up using a combination of Designer, Photoshop, Illustrator and Procreate and have to annoyingly bounce between the programs to be successful.  So I'm not saying don't use any program.  One day I hope to use only Affinity Designer only because Adobe creates half baked applications at exorbitant costs.  It's infuriating.

I use Illustrator both desktop and on the iPad, the iPad version isn’t junk, it’s actually pretty decent given that it was released back in October.  The boolean operators work consistently unlike Affinity Designers’ boolean bugs.  selecting & moving items is easy and intuitive.  I used to use Affinity Designer but just got tired of the random bugs in the app, and also grew tired of their lackluster response to fix these bugs.  I use the Shapebuilder in Illustrator often enough to justify paying for a CC subscription.  

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, mexicola84 said:

Again, from my side. If you are a professional and need to work out a lot of ideas in a quick manner, the shape builder tool is essential. It's the one tool, I - and MANY of my friends can't miss and that's why I cannot recommend this as an 100% alternative to illustrator. 

Sure, technicially spoken it does kind of the same thing as the boolean tools, but if you have plenty of shapes to combine, you may have to do a lot of work to make it happen. For me personally, I've purchased all products by Affinity, but can'T use them to my speed.

With version 1.8 I'm very happy with a lot of newly added features, but I hope for 1.9, the shape builder will be added. People desperately search for alternatives to the Adobe cosmos, but I believe, it still takes quite a bit of time.

I share the same opinion with the person above.

I also really want this tool in Affinity Designer. I work a lot with illustrator and depend a lot on this shape tool. Having to make shapes, and then other forms to be able to paint, I already consider a waste of time.

I really wanted to migrate once and for all to Affinity Designer, but the absence of this tool does not make it a viable option.

I'm rooting for an update, because then I'll totally drop Adobe.

Perhaps off topic.... but I have a simple question about the shape tools.

If I want to draw an exact size shape, say a 5x5mm square, is there a way of bringing up a window to enter measurements similar to Ai when I click once on page?? Or is the only way to draw out a shape and edit the size in the Transform panel??

Thanks

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @ra.skill,
There's no way to invoke a dialog to enter the dimensions for the shape as in Illustrator. You have to draw it and set the dimensions in the Transform panel.

It would be nice to see this feature in the Affinity apps. DrawPlus has it, but only in the later versions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

I really dont know why this isn't on Affinity Designer.. this tool was present on the legacy product (Draw Plus). I do have a licensed copy of the Draw Plus.. and in many occasions it is quite useful as to achieve the same result in the geometry nodes there is a lot of tinkering (it depends on the design in question).. not only that .. but the legacy product also has the auto-trace feature... so.. if this was already implemented on legacy versions.. why not on this one?  

because Affinity apps are written from scratch. They don't have anything in common with Serif's Plus apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)