You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 2/27/2020 at 11:36 PM, MEB said:

Hi aawado,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, you can use the geometry operations (add, subtract, intersect, etc) to achieve the same results although with a bit more work.

What shape geometry will do more than cloud we need some professional shape builder or some thing like that tool if we want to make S and we start with lines and circles and at the end of the day how we can make this so called geometry operation if you have some tutorial please show me I will love to see that

• Staff

Hi rasoolakhter,
The approach you take depends a lot of the objects you have/specific case you are working with. Are you building the intended shape starting with open strokes, using shapes, a mix of both? If working with just open paths you may have to break them at certain nodes to then join them with other (open) paths before expanding them to convert the manipulated stroke into a shape. If a mix of open paths and shapes you will have to expand the strokes first before attempting to use geometric operations with shapes otherwise you may get unexpected results (Designer doesn't support boolean operations between shapes and strokes) etc etc. So it really depends on what you are working with. If you post a sample file with an example i'm sure you will get plenty of replies to get there. Meanwhile check this video tutorial here. It should give you some ideas on how to deal with some cases.

With the (several) requests for a shape builder tool, it apparently is something useful.  As a long-time Corel user with essentially no time in Adobe tools, I had never even heard of a shape builder tool before reading, in these forums, how essential one is.  Yet, somehow, being ignorant of such a thing, I have never felt the lack, nor have ever felt hampered in constructing complex shapes from simpler ones.  (Pretend oblivious naive cynicism mode off)

I heavily use boolean operations (they have different names in CorelDRAW, but they are the same basic operations) together with raw path editing operations (add vertex at apparent intersection, split curve at vertex, join curves at vertex, drag verticies and Bezier handles around).  Seems to build shapes quite well. I will have to go read up on what shape builder does.  From the example given in the initial post in this thread, it appears to be something that could be scripted in CorelDRAW and added to the hotkey assignment and/or the toolbars.  Of course, AffDes doesn't have scripting yet, but it does have all the basic operations.

Again, from my side. If you are a professional and need to work out a lot of ideas in a quick manner, the shape builder tool is essential. It's the one tool, I - and MANY of my friends can't miss and that's why I cannot recommend this as an 100% alternative to illustrator. 

Sure, technicially spoken it does kind of the same thing as the boolean tools, but if you have plenty of shapes to combine, you may have to do a lot of work to make it happen. For me personally, I've purchased all products by Affinity, but can'T use them to my speed.

With version 1.8 I'm very happy with a lot of newly added features, but I hope for 1.9, the shape builder will be added. People desperately search for alternatives to the Adobe cosmos, but I believe, it still takes quite a bit of time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 3:52 PM, mexicola84 said:

Again, from my side. If you are a professional and need to work out a lot of ideas in a quick manner, the shape builder tool is essential. It's the one tool, I - and MANY of my friends can't miss and that's why I cannot recommend this as an 100% alternative to illustrator. 

Sure, technicially spoken it does kind of the same thing as the boolean tools, but if you have plenty of shapes to combine, you may have to do a lot of work to make it happen. For me personally, I've purchased all products by Affinity, but can'T use them to my speed.

With version 1.8 I'm very happy with a lot of newly added features, but I hope for 1.9, the shape builder will be added. People desperately search for alternatives to the Adobe cosmos, but I believe, it still takes quite a bit of time.

exactly that is the only thing that makes me think a lot before buying affinity instead of illustrator its just a small and very effective tool that you cant do with out it . 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, .svg said:

I recently bought Affinity Designer and I have to say I'm very disappointed that it doesn't have a shapebuilder tool. I make complex designs with lot's of lines and stuff and therefor the shapebuilder tool is so necessary. Guess I have to switch back to Adobe again.. 😞

I hope they do it

1 hour ago, Mahdimov said:

It is not about achieving, it about how you achieve .

^ this

I for one just need a simple knife tool right now ... more than anything for tons of details in a rather complex big poster. Sure, I can achieve the same with boolean operators, but it is frustrating in the middle of many, many vector objects and it is just (almost) the greatest time robber of all times. Further it destroys the creative process and inspiration. I will have to spend a lot of time on a lot of individual objects. I found myself postponing the workaround hell and procrastinating like a maniac because the many hours of tedious manual work just suck. The first 30 - 40% of the poster was a joy and was very satisfying. Then I came to the interesting, difficult part that is just pointless slow boolean operations for hours and hours. Copy pasting it back and forth between programs that do have a knife is not a whole lot easier.

Affinity Designer 1.x draw persona:

file-20200306-118881-18u8je6.jpg?ixlib=r

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Antiplanet 140mm said:

Hello)

Does Affinity Designer have shape builder tool as in illustrator ?

1.png

2.png

Use "Geometry" tools like:

1. select the rectangle and the left most circle and ALT click on "Add" (geometry);
  2. select the newly created object and the next circle and, again, ALT click on "Add";
  3. and so on.

Now, you can CTRL click on any object if you want to manipulate it. See the "Layers" panel, too.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Use "Geometry" tools like:

1. select the rectangle and the left most circle and ALT click on "Add" (geometry);
  2. select the newly created object and the next circle and, again, ALT click on "Add";
  3. and so on.

Now, you can CTRL click on any object if you want to manipulate it. See the "Layers" panel, too.

Don't be ridiculous... 😉

I want to see how much time you spend working with the gold section. You'll just get tired of using "Geometry" tools when in a project, for example, 100 circles))) , than a simple tool like shape builder.

7 hours ago, Antiplanet said:

Don't be ridiculous... 😉

I want to see how much time you spend working with the gold section. You'll just get tired of using "Geometry" tools when in a project, for example, 100 circles))) , than a simple tool like shape builder.

Sorry I was so rude to comment on your post.

To avoid such situations in the future I will not comment any post in Affinity forums in the future. :37_disappointed:

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)