You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to click and drag to select multiple objects

• Staff

You can select multiple objects with the Move tool, then drag them as one - the hint line gives this and other helpful information.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

You can select multiple objects with the Move tool, then drag them as one - the hint line gives this and other helpful information.

Hi, for some reason I never look down there at the hint line. I will try to use it more often, but I think with a lot of visually oriented people it gets overlooked as we tend to want to tinker to figure things out, stumbling along when the answer is right down there in front of us...  :rolleyes:

lmartin,

Do you have “Marquee Select on Touch” checked in Preferences>User Interface. My personal preference.

That way you only have to select a portion of any entity in order to select the entirety of it.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Oh, nice, that is even better. Works similar to im used to in Sketch and it is way nicer. Thanks for the tip Max.

lmartin,

Do you have “Marquee Select on Touch” checked in Preferences>User Interface. My personal preference.

That way you only have to select a portion of any entity in order to select the entirety of it.

Max

• 3 years later...

Can I select multiple objects in one mouse drag ? I seem to be trying but I am unable to select multiple objects, it just selects the current layer. I tried grouping them and then selecting but it does not work. How do I move a vector object across different files in affinity designer ?

If you start to drag a marquee above a background image, it will only select the background.

You need to start to drag from outside the background image. Then it will only select the images the marquee completely surrounds., not the background image.

Alternatively, press down Ctrl + Alt and it will not select the background, only the objects the marquee surrounds. This is for a PC, I guess it is Cmd + Alt on a Mac.

Note: That will only work if the background is not selected already. 

The easiest way is to deselect the background is to click on one of the objects you want to select (which selects that instead of the background) press Ctrl + Alt and then drag around everything you want.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 3 years later...

@PaoloT It seems that your previous question about this was split from this thread and given its own thread:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/166634-how-to-drag-to-select-nodes-from-multiple-layers-split/

(The split was probably made because this thread is around three years old and the subjects aren’t totally related.)

You can hide the post in this thread ('three dots icon' at top-right of your post) and continue the discussion in the new thread.