You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random crashes when editing photos

super0sonic

3Y8A0347.CR3I am running an iPad Mini 5 that I just bought and the latest version of Affinity Photo that I also just bought. iPad has all updates as does photo as I never had and older version. I have also tried deleting the app and reinstalling. 

Crashes occur randomly and often to the point the software is completely unusable. It doesn’t seem to matter what tools I am using crashes occur using tools, changing tools, pinching and zooming, scrolling, saving, adjusting exposure. I think the only thing I haven’t seen crash is using “Smart Selection Brush Tool” It has crashed on every CR3 file I have thrown at it.

Same here. i’m using iPad Mini 5 and iPad Air 3 and when i edit CR2 files app is crashing a lot. What seems to help for a while, is to reboot the device which probably clears RAM. This was happening in AP 1.7.3. also, but it seems to be more frequent in 1.8

I’m not sure if this is iOS handling memory badly or if it is AP just overloading it. But it’s really annoying and frustrating.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

We are still investigating what is happening. We have failed a few fixes during the beta phase. I appreciate this is frustrating for you but I do want to reassure you we are actively investigating it. 

It’s making me reconsider my mini and maybe getting a Pro. But I am yet undecided. Still I am glad to see this is being worked on. I hope a fix is possible. 

• Staff

I think the main issue we see with the iPad versions of the app is they have much less ram than a desktop and even a laptop. Stacking and a few other functions are typically slower on the iPad for this reason.

I tend to use a Pro more often than not and we see less bug reports for people using a Pro but we should really ensure that non-Pro iPad's are functioning correctly (albeit slower) and without the crashes. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think the main issue we see with the iPad versions of the app is they have much less ram than a desktop and even a laptop. Stacking and a few other functions are typically slower on the iPad for this reason.

I tend to use a Pro more often than not and we see less bug reports for people using a Pro but we should really ensure that non-Pro iPad's are functioning correctly (albeit slower) and without the crashes. 

Well best of luck to those people I am sure it will be worked out. myself I returned the mini and got the 11 inch pro. Less because affinity works on it but more for the larger screen and better pencil.