You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8 Update for Mac

• Staff

Hi @Louise Lemieux Berube,

If you purchased through the Mac App Store, open the Mac App Store App and go to the Updates page. If the updates are not showing, go to Store > Reload page. This should hopefully force the updates to show.

To update one of our iPad apps, open the App Store app and go to the Updates page. If the updates are not showing, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold and pull down, then release. This should manually refresh the updates page.

For purchases made directly through our own Store, your Affinity App will check for updates when opened and it should offer you the latest update.

image.gif

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

• Staff

@petegeoff

Yes, for the Affinity store version (which you have) simply run the application and it should prompt you to update to 1.8.1 (unless you already have it)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 hour ago, Philosofox said:

Photo and Designer kept me hanging. What can I do?

as above

4 hours ago, StevenS said:

If the updates are not showing, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold and pull down, then release. This should manually refresh the updates page.

or on that updates page press CMD+r

Failing that wait 24 hours and try again,sometimes we find that helps with the Mac App Store

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

27 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

as above

or on that updates page press CMD+r

Failing that wait 24 hours and try again,sometimes we find that helps with the Mac App Store

Ah, sorry, I bought it using your very own store, not the MacAppStore. So I do not see any option to update or ask for an update manually. Any hints on that?

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Philosofox said:

...Any hints on that?

The about page displays the version if it is less than 1.8.1 it should find an update whenever you start the application (unless you chose to skip this version, which is an option only when offered an update).

If the option "Check for updates" is not there (on mac builds), that is AFAIK a Mac App Store purchase, where that option is not needed. The Windows builds do not have the "Check for updates" option either AFAIK.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Hi,

I have Affinity Designer 1.7.2 and Photo on a Mac running High Sierra. The Mac App Store doesn't show the update. Commad+R  didn't work. Logging in/ out on the Mac App Store didn't.

Is there another way to update without that stupid store?

Normally that „stupid store“ works without and issues. I, for my part, never had any problems..

So, are you sure, that you are logged in, and, if yes, logged in with the correct Apple ID?

Are you sure, you bought the app in the AppStore? If you have a „Check for Updates“ entry in the application menu, the app definitely isn‘t bought in Apple‘s AppStore, but from the Affinity Store.

Some users have reported that the update becomes available in the Mac App Store by switching to the Purchased tab in the Store.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@Zander Check out these instructions to see if that helps: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-install-affinity-updates/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Some users have reported that the update becomes available in the Mac App Store by switching to the Purchased tab in the Store.

I didn't know that. My 2 Affinity apps do show up there but the button says "open" although they are already open. If I click the button to open them the app comes to the foreground. But still no update prompt.

>>  „Man, ain‘t that a stupid store?"

Sure, that the store is „stupid“? :)

• Of course you have to use the „Updates“ tab. What else, if you want to update? The fact, that you „didn’t know that“ doesn’t make the Store „stupid“.
  • Of course the store serves the update and not an older version, when you click on „Update“. „Update“ doesn’t mean „Remove“ of Re-Install“)
  • Of course the description shows the version. You just need to read it.

Here a screenshot of Aff Photo for example:

Screen_01.jpg