You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke it's worst ?

Pedro Eira

• Staff

Hi Pedro Eira,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Expand Stroke command is much more accurate than before unfortunately there's a few specific cases where it fails. Can you please attach the file original afdesign file shown in your screenshot for us to check/test against new code revisions? Thank you. If you stumble upon more cases please let us know/provide a sample file so we can add them to out log/report.

That's pretty bad

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

15 hours ago, Pedro Eira said:

here you have the file. 
I've been testing all afternoon and It happens the same with other simple cases. Overall it's really really bad.

expand stroke bug 1.afdesign 16.12 kB · 6 downloads

Weird. I downloaded the file and got the same result, but when I bumped up the stroke weight to 12 points it expanded fine...

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.59.03 AM.png

1 hour ago, retrograde said:

Weird. I downloaded the file and got the same result, but when I bumped up the stroke weight to 12 points it expanded fine...

Not for me, I went unto 30pt and still get a mess - very similar bug to boolean operations and compounds with 1.8 ------ I was expecting improvements?!?!?!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

18 hours ago, MEB said:

The Expand Stroke command is much more accurate than before unfortunately there's a few specific cases where it fails.

I disagree, it's far worse than before in every scenario for me. I tried expanding a simple stroke around the Honda logo for a customer and it turned into abstract art. Expanding strokes around any text seems to fail for me, and combining the results with the original shape is an absolute disaster.

• Staff

Hi Eines, Pedro Eira,
Thanks for providing the files. I've added them to our log.

Hi Brian,
I understand your frustration. What i meant is that the shapes it generates now (in the cases where it works) are more accurate than they were before. Unfortunately there was also a few regressions (due to the rewritten code): some cap options, text objects, a couple shape tools are failing to expand/resolve properly. These issues are being looked at as we speak. My apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you. We are doing our best to fix them as soon as we can. Thanks for understanding.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

These issues are being looked at as we speak. My apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you. We are doing our best to fix them as soon as we can. Thanks for understanding.

Is there any way to "downgrade" temporarily to 1.7 while these issues are solved?

I get that it's going to take a little time to fix whatever has gone wrong, that's totally understandable.

So my next question, is there any way to roll back the Mac App Store version to the previous (1.7) build? Simple jobs that were taking 10 minutes are now taking 45 mins to an hours of playing around until I get somewhat satisfactory results, it's very hard to work this way.

• Staff

Hi rovedajr, Brian D,

For Affinity Store users only (these versions require a product key for activation) please check the links below:
Affinity Photo
Affinity Designer
Affinity Publisher

For Mac App Store users there's no way to revert to a previous version unless you have made a backup before.

I have noticed the 'Add' feature is also broken and does the same thing when combining shapes. The bug is probably related. I have attached a file. Try expanding only the topmost stroke, then combine it to the top shape. You will see a very similar problem where it fills the right area of the combined shape. My guess is in both cases, where the intersection happens, you are forgetting to create a node (or point).

rig-icon.afdesign

On 2/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, Pedro Eira said:

here you have the file. 
I've been testing all afternoon and It happens the same with other simple cases. Overall it's really really bad.

expand stroke bug 1.afdesign 16.12 kB · 11 downloads

This appears fixed in AP 1.8.2.172 beta.

D1832A60-7F54-4562-8AF5-ED4251E92E39.png

6674F3AD-AC69-4DD4-845D-36AEF34FE26E.png

5404C92B-6F37-47B8-B7D6-E35795519D90.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Here's another example of a failing expand stroke.

expand-path-issue.thumb.jpg.42a0fd6e514fdb0d199b4d2dcc565bd8.jpg

MacOS 10.15.3
Affinity Designer 1.8.1

Edit: Seems to be fixed in Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.2.4

broken-document-icon.afdesign

Edited by stldoug
Tested in latest Beta (1.8.2.4)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
macOS 10.15.4 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 570 4 GB