You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML Import first results (split)

Lecho

Hi All,

Publisher 1.8.1 IDML imported files from InDesign doesn't work properly on Mac, also there is no support for imported page layers, and text pages have double "layer" of original (from masters) copy almost impossible to edit in normal way. See attachment below.

Please let me know, if you also have the same problem.

Cheers,

Lech

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 14.49.13.png

• Staff

@Lecho

From the announcement thread...

On 2/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, Patrick Connor said:

All Readers

This thread is only for commenting on this announcement. 

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version

If you have a file that shows your issues then please attach it here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

15 minutes ago, Lecho said:

Publisher 18.8.1 IDML imported files from Indesign doesn't work properly on Mac, also there is no support for impoerted page layers, and text pages have double "layer" of original (from masters) copy almost impossible to edit in normal way. See attachemnet below.

The lack of page layers as you are used to from InDesign is due to the fact that Publisher does not support that kind of layer. The other issues might be worth taking a look at, so you could either post a copy of the IDML file or request a developer to give you a private link to upload it just for them.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Lecho said:

It worked much beter in older version of Publisher

do you mean in the 1.8.0 beta?

Obviously these posts do nothing to get this fixed, unless you can provide sample files that show the problems you are having, as I said earlier in this thread,

6 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If you have a file that shows your issues then please attach it here

and garrettm30 also suggested

6 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

...so you could either post a copy of the IDML file or request a developer to give you a private link to upload it just for them

So, would you like to provide an IDML file for us to see these problems?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I will get this looked at tomorrow, thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Great effort Affinity Team - you are on the right track - keep going!!!

IDML opening results were a mixed bag.

1. Simple files worked "sort of" ok
    16pp, no layers, limited styles
    71pp inline graphics, limited styles, no layers - tab alignments were missing
  2. Large complex files with Grep Styles & Multi Layers crashed before completion
    320pp, multiple para/object styles, 3500+ images with styles, grep styles, etc
    exported from CS2015
  3. One 280pp file opened, but crashed on save as afpub
    exported from CS4

Well done anyway - i will download updates as they come available.

(MacPro 6,1, 64GbRam, 1TBSSD, High Sierra, clean load nothing else open)

Suggest stciky threade for IDML and GREP/REGEX Styles

• Staff

@Michael Pitt I'd appreciate if you could upload the test files you were using for your points here so I can make sure we are aware of the issues when importing.

As garrett hints at, certain features in IDML we simply don't support in Publisher, so have to either discard on import or try do our best, we have a lot on our radar to work on with IDML Import.

@Lecho The cause of the overlapping text in your file is something we are aware of and working on. Thanks for the report.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Above all, what type IDML file can Publisher import? No pages, no paragraphs, no copy, no master pages? Better have no IMP option, than messed up file. Am I right?

I am going back to older 1.7.3 versions.

Cheers,

Lech

• Staff

@Lecho We don't currently support importing overridden master page items, so currently overridden master page items will appear jumbled with what they overridden with, which is why it looks a bit jumbled in your imported file. I do see all the pages and master pages imported, and the copy is there albeit jumbled with the original master page copy.

IDML Import is still being improved. There are however some features we don't have in Publisher and will never be able to import correctly.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

With all respect, even simple paragraphs (3 tabs) below pictures are messed up.
What's the point of having IDML function? Forged layers, forget master pages, forget all?

To be honest it is better to import PDF, because everything is on it's original place.

Cheers,

Lech

Awaiting for Affiniy 2.0

• 3 months later...

I'll post my experience with IDML in Afpub as well here. Imported 64pp document with multiple styles and master pages. 

So far masters seem ok, except for nested masters. For example, the footer in the parent master aligns with the outside margin. A nested master has that footer moved in to align with the second column, but in that case the footer appears there as well as still on the outside margin, so duplicate footer there. 

Styles have been a different story. Pretty messy in some cases, particularly with a drop cap style. Once I encountered this issue I didn't trust that Afpub was converting my styles properly and was concerned I would encounter further issues down the road, so ended up wiping all the styles and re-making them in Afpub. Works well now, but importing is questionable. Video attached showing the weirdness of applying some of the imported styles — there are so many weird effects happening in this screen cap vid I won't try to explain or describe them all.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (IDML Import: Showing duplicates for overridden master page items) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd