Sign in to follow this  
bobgraphics

Crop Tool Behavior in Photo

Newbie.

I am struggling with the Crop Tool.  I crop an image, click Apply, it looks cropped, but it is only "hiding" the cropped portion.  When I copy the cropped image to another layer in another file, the uncropped section is still visible.

I must be doing something wrong.  I figured Crop means Crop.  Does it?  I've attached the sample images.

Thanks,

Bob

Crop Tool Problem.png

Crop_Tool_Problem2.png

3 minutes ago, bobgraphics said:

I must be doing something wrong.  I figured Crop means Crop.  Does it?  I've attached the sample images.

This is the way it works. Quite bizarre in my opinion. What I do is use the Crop Tool then select all with the Marquee Tool and make an New Document from Clipboard. And if necessary copy that back to the original and then hide or delete the layer with the cropped image.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.8.3 | Affinity Photo 1.8.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.3.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.3.180 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.3.651

7 minutes ago, bobgraphics said:

I figured Crop means Crop.  Does it?

Cropping is non-destructive, and all of the cropped information is retained in case you want to uncrop it later.

After cropping, to make it permanent and destructive, you can right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and choose Rasterize & Trim.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

"right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and choose Rasterize & Trim"

Thanks Walt! I would have never figured that out. Some of the nomenclature in Affinity I find unique, and I need to learn the naming practices as it relates to other editing  software like Photoshop 2020.

Still learning to get around, but I'm happy with what I've been able to do as I learn each tool and function.

Bob M

You're welcome, Bob.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.