You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool Behavior in Photo

Newbie.

I am struggling with the Crop Tool.  I crop an image, click Apply, it looks cropped, but it is only "hiding" the cropped portion.  When I copy the cropped image to another layer in another file, the uncropped section is still visible.

I must be doing something wrong.  I figured Crop means Crop.  Does it?  I've attached the sample images.

Thanks,

Bob

Crop Tool Problem.png

Crop_Tool_Problem2.png

3 minutes ago, bobgraphics said:

I must be doing something wrong.  I figured Crop means Crop.  Does it?  I've attached the sample images.

This is the way it works. Quite bizarre in my opinion. What I do is use the Crop Tool then select all with the Marquee Tool and make an New Document from Clipboard. And if necessary copy that back to the original and then hide or delete the layer with the cropped image.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, bobgraphics said:

I figured Crop means Crop.  Does it?

Cropping is non-destructive, and all of the cropped information is retained in case you want to uncrop it later.

After cropping, to make it permanent and destructive, you can right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and choose Rasterize & Trim.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

"right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and choose Rasterize & Trim"

Thanks Walt! I would have never figured that out. Some of the nomenclature in Affinity I find unique, and I need to learn the naming practices as it relates to other editing  software like Photoshop 2020.

Still learning to get around, but I'm happy with what I've been able to do as I learn each tool and function.

Bob M

You're welcome, Bob.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 8 months later...
50 minutes ago, Julie B said:

So, how do you do this in Designer - not rasterize - but stay vector??

Have you tried the Crop Tool in Designer? If it didn't work, then please provide more info on what you're trying to do, and what didn't work.

-- Walt
PC:

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you tried the Crop Tool in Designer? If it didn't work, then please provide more info on what you're trying to do, and what didn't work.

Yes, but as this post mentions, it doesn't truly crop, only "hides" it.  I have a picture and I want to reuse part of it somewhere else.  So for example if I want to crop an image and drag it, it takes the entire picture when I do anything to it (ie. merge curves or any of the geometry tools).