You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials (70+)

Hey, 

I'm search for a video tutorial, how to move a design / artboard to an image for preview, as shown on your website. 

Thanks 

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Could I suggest you place this list somewhere as a page for both AD and AP, reachable from the public Affinity website?

You have a generic "Tutorials" link there, but this list is so much more informative and ought to impress anyone looking for either product - and then you only have to tell us that there's an update :).

That brings me to a second point: date the entries and highlight anything less than a month old, if you have the date information it's not that difficult to automate.

Cheers :)

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hi. I have bought Affinity Designer  and Photo. The first job I want to do is a company logo; 4 letters (ACMC).

I wast the letters to be tilted and get smaller as if going towards a vanishing point.

I then want to have their shadow behind.

Very similar to the JCB logo.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_(company)

I thought this would be simple enough but am totally stumped.

I would appreciate any help or guidance please.

Thanks! Stu

Hi,

I just purchased Affinity, and I have to say I'm impressed!

That said, while going through the tutorials, there are a number provided by Affinity, which utilize art/images that we users are not provided access to. 

A couple recommendations:

1) Offer collateral which goes along with the tutorial, so that we can complete the tutorial as shown

2) It would be great to have a section on how to create, from scratch, lots of cool images.

3) Have tutorials broken up categorized in some way, such as "New Skills", "How To's" and "Let's Create This Image!"

That's it for now. Keep up the great work!

Hi. I have bought Affinity Designer  and Photo. The first job I want to do is a company logo; 4 letters (ACMC).

I wast the letters to be tilted and get smaller as if going towards a vanishing point.

I then want to have their shadow behind.

Very similar to the JCB logo.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_(company)

I thought this would be simple enough but am totally stumped.

I would appreciate any help or guidance please.

Thanks! Stu

You might try somethin like this is AP with the perspective tool. I've provided a screenshot of it Just change the direction of the shadow to 180.  :)

Perspective Tool Icon

2vWtniq.png

post-51788-0-38849300-1487309142_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for these videos! I learn so much from them and these have given me the confidence to start working through them Official Workbook.

One very important thing I have learnt: creating almost any image is possible in Affinity Designer.. and it is NOT that complex.  As long as the user is familiar with the the commands and plays around trying them out is the key to understanding. The Boolean Operands are Awesome!

LG

A wonderful set of tutorials. Thankyou, Serif.

Rather than access the forum each time I need to view a tutorial, I find it easier to use this index which I have as a bookmark in  my browser

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/

It seems to be kept pretty well up to date, but maybe Serif could publish an 'official' directory that could be accessed as a bookmark?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the difference between the design and photo affinity

Affinity Designer is a drawing program: you create images and designs with it, mainly in vector format so you can scale it to any dimension without loss of quality.  Affinity Photo is a program focused explicitly on photos and their manipulation, ranging a wide range of images from your average PNG or JPG format to RAW, HDR and panorama shots.

The best way to work out what you need is simply download the trial versions and play with them.  

Personally, I didn't make a choice - I got both :P

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have missed it, but is there a way to create brushes similar to illustrator in Affinity Designer.. I am working on a new project that requires some specialty strokes and I did not see a video on how to do that. 

Thanks for the great software 

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2016 at 11:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi PrettygreatPhil,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is due to a bug in the program. To work around this and still create a compound, select the main (bigger) shape, change to the Node Tool, drag a marquee selection around aLL nodes of the shape, then in the context toolbar click the Smooth icon from the Convert section. You can now proceed with the boolean operation selecting both shapes and pressing and holding ⌥ (option/alt) to create the compound.

Hi MEB!

I had the exact same issue as PrettygreatPhil, and the solution you provided work just fine, until i selected the teardrop shape from the compound and started moving it around. the movement of the teardrop changed the outline of the original upper shape at certain places, at other positions of the teardrop shape the form of the upper shape has changed back to its normal.

Please note the change on the top left corner of the screenshots.

Thanks anyways and best of luck in developing it looks promising so far :)

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 13.27.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 13.28.09.png

• 3 weeks later...

These videos are extremely concise and helpful. The only reason I am in anyway involved in graphics is to make my training materials more useful and screen shots are most often a pixelated mess. So as someone who is not a graphic artist I appreciate how direct and to the point the tutorials are!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am setting AD up to do web mockups using the Artboards and assets etc.  I have noticed at top of the screen the style drop downs appear when selecting a text box.  There are a couple of styles preset, these are Header 1 and Header 2.

Where can I find out more information about customising these and adding more like paragraph <p> text?

Ideally I'd like to save these with the document I'm working on and have different settings for different documents.  Ideally the font settings would be assets.

Cheers,

John.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would really like to See A good tutorial On using the Grade UI Kit. The 3 min video for  such an awesome set of functionality is really a joke. 

I purchased both designer and photo when they were first released but family issues took me away. But I am back now and was hoping for much more on the designer and using it for App Layout design.

But I dont see any new Grade UI Kit videos, unless i'm missing something.

25 minutes ago, LarryM said:

I would really like to See A good tutorial On using the Grade UI Kit. The 3 min video for  such an awesome set of functionality is really a joke. 

What would such a tutorial show us? I view the Grade UI Kit as an awesome set of content, with any functionality being provided by the program rather than the kit, and I can't see why we need tutorials which are specific to that content.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

hey, Affinity

can you please make the tutorial about typesetting in Designer? of cause it will be lots of them when Publisher will release, but now Designer is my primary tool for everything, uncluding typesetting. I've mastered most Designers features with your tutorials, build-in manual and just by experimenting, but there is two topics I can't handle with…

1. type styles. I don't understand the practical difference between text and paragraph styles (considering the fact that there is check box “show in both panels”) and I'm totally confused with group styles. how it works? is that something like nested styles in InDesign?

2. tab stops. I partially understand how it works, but I still can't do antything practical with it (table with complex assymetrical allignment for example)

thank you))

1 hour ago, owenr said:

Alternatively, you can use these shorter (and slightly more memorable!) URLs which redirect to the URLs noted above:

https://affin.co/designeryt

https://affin.co/photoyt

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

I just got Affinity Designer and am excited to learn to use it effectively. (I currently create in Illustrator.) I thought I would go through the tutorials in the order listed but when after watching one, it will autoplays, but that is never the next one on the list displayed above. For example after watching "Actual Zoom Size" it autoplays to "Introducing Live Filter Layers" rather than "Editing PDF text". I assumed the tutorials were building on one another or is it just as useful to go with whatever pops up? I know this is a total newbie question. I just want to make my learning more effective and wondering if there was a way to watch the tuts in order without having to refer back to this page all the time.